Hawaii
Options

NWR: Book recommendations!

I hadn't read a book in maybe...3 or 5 years.  And in the past 2 weeks, I've read 2.  I really enjoyed them both, and now I want to read more!

The Art of Driving in the Rain (linkie)
A Dog's Purpose (linkie)

Also, for anyone looking to learn more about getting into serious photography and learn to use manual controls on your camera, this book was fantastic for getting started.

So...any suggestions on what I should read next?  I love dog books, mysteries, and girlie books like The Devil Wears Prada.  But really, I'm game for any recommendations.

Re: NWR: Book recommendations!

• Options
    motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I heard great things about A Dog's Purpose.  I might have to pick that up for summer reading.  I'm on Good reads, it is a website where you can post what you have read and find other friends on there and share book reviews and look at their virtual book shelf.  My name on that site is MotoLyn, over at the NEY board we have a book club going on, but I've been so busy I'm not sure what they are reading anymore. 
  • Options
    fabutanfabutan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a big fan of Mitch Albom's books, such as "The five people you meet in heaven" and "Tuesdays with Morrie".  They're light reads and it sounds like they're a good fit for you.  :)

I think the most recent book I've read is, "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls - really, really loved it.  Before that, I was impressed with "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiiguro (there's also a movie of the same name).  My all time favorite is the classic, "Norwegian Wood" by Haruki Murakami....and almost any book authored by him!  His material is a bit darker though...  Hopefully that gives you a few titles to browse!  HTH!!

BTW, thanks for the photography book rec!  Going to look into it.  ;-)

• Options
    kimmykupcakeskimmykupcakes member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I read Water for Elephants when I was in Ohio.  It was great.  My all time favorite book is I Know This Much is True.  I'd recommend reading both.
  • Options
    McBeagsMcBeags member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Love this topic since I travel every week. Huge fan of "The Girl Who Played with Fire" series.

But I just read "Abe Lincoln Vampire Slayer" it is on the NY times best seller list. I wouldn't have usually picked this up. But since I live in the land of lincoln thought I would give it a try. But I really enjoyed it. Pretty amazing how he spun the fictioinal and yet was so detailed in the hisotical telling of the rise of Lincoln and the cival war.

I must also sadly admit if you have read it the Twilight series is very good as well.
  • Options
    breanessbreaness member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have weird book tastes compared to all of you :P

I read a lot of Kurt Vonnegut and Chuck Palahniuk. Vonnegut is very smart-- with a sci fi twist, but for the most part everything he writes is satire. Palahniuk is just sick and twisted, you need to have thick skin and a strong stomach to get through his books, but by the end it's always worth it. 

And for something also smart, but more light and fun Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy is the best!

I've been reading a lot of non-fiction and biographies lately and a lot about religion, so I'm taking a break now and reading "the girl with the dragon tattoo." The first few chapters were hard to get through but I'm finally "in" to it.
  • Options
    fabutanfabutan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    breaness - LOVE 'The hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy'!  That's such a classic sci fi novel!  So hilarious  :)

Apparently, a new movie adaptation of "The girl with the dragon tattoo" is going to be released this year.  Not sure how close it's going to follow the original plot though - looks very hollywood!

• Options
    McBeagsMcBeags member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Breaness- I felt like the first one started off very slow. please stick with it. the series has been one of my favorite reads in a long time.

Fabutan- I am dying to see the American version. After reading the three we rented all of the swedish movies and they are GREAT! almost as good as the book. I feel like I will be comparing the american movie to the swedish ones. I can't wait.
  • Options
    aliblualiblu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I read a lot of Jodi Picoult. All her stories are different, but they all have the same format. My favorite from her so far is second glance. Its mystery, ghosty, love story. I love mystery and romance books! 19 Minutes and The Pact are wonderful as well!
    AliBlu | 6.8.2011 | My Bio-Updated 3/3
    Visit Maui.Weddings.com Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards