Hawaii

informal luau ideas?

Hi all,
we're thinking of getting married on Hawaii, Oahu, or Maui (Kawaii, possibly)... want it to be conveniently somewhat close to an airport for the guests who only have a couple days there.  
Would like to have a beach wedding, ideally with a luau-style buffet dinner/reception.  Also, would like to avoid a long sit-down dancing/music performance, and just have music in the background (even if that means hiring a local Hawaiian band).
  Because this idea is fairly informal/unorganized/casual, I'm not sure if there is anyone who can set it up (or it seems, nobody is readily searchable online).  Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?  much appreciated.

Re: informal luau ideas?

• edited December 2011
    Depending on which island you choose, the airport isn't *that* far away from most towns. But... I spend about 1½ hours commuting (one way) where I live, so maybe I'm being a bit biased!

This works better on Oahu, but have you considered getting a rental home through somewhere like vrbo and hosting the wedding and party in your backyard?
  • WinstonsGirlWinstonsGirl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    We're using Malo Productions for our reception.  We're booking them through our venue, but I"m sure they doo provate stuff as well.  We caught a peek at their show last week at the Hale Koa hotel (Oahu) and it looked really good.  Professional, it flowed, good banter with the crowd.  Not quite sure what they're doing specifically for us though.  Prob about 45-1 hour we were told

• FallasFallas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Look into Paradise Cove, Germaine's Luau or along those lines.
  • edited December 2011
    From my research I've found that most of the larger hotels have a luau buffet option if you would be interested in that setting, however, they can be quite expensive.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Acj2BmarriedAcj2Bmarried member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married in Oahu 9-9, a week away! At first I wanted a luau reception. I switched and now we are having dinner out after the wedding and the next day is the luau. We chose Paradise Cove for the luau.

We picked Oahu because of the international airport. We have people coming from Australia and it is easy for USA.
  • edited December 2011
    We were married in Maui and had a private luau reception. Our fantastic WC knew of a family luau entertainment group and they put on a show for about 2 hours that included tons of costume changes, singers, dancers and 2 generations of fire dancers. It was the coolest thing ever because even though it wasn't quite as flash as the pro shows it felt super intimate and authentic and was worth every penny. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards