Hawaii
Options

Double wedding at Lanikuhonua?

Has anyone or will anyone be getting married at Lanikuhonua the same time another wedding is taking place?

We booked the venue May 7th of 2011 to secure our Date of July 7, that didn't go through so we picked July 8. NOW we just found out that another wedding will take place in Phase 1. We'll be in Phase 2.

I'm super frustrated. I knew there was going to be a chance that this might happen but as far as "sharing" Lanikuhonua it makes me CRINGE.

Re: Double wedding at Lanikuhonua?

• Options
    my BFF is gettnig married there later this year and they told her that they are starting to sell both sides.    Seemed likea big property when we did site visit so we're not too concerned about it
  • Options

Wow! I am surprised. I should email the new coordinator and find out. That will definitely limit on parking. I knew they didnt like to double book because of the use of the grounds. I initially wanted Phase I, but it is being used on Jun 30, so I got Phase II on Jul 1 so that they could alternate sides.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

when we did a site Kim told us that they are selling both sides, maybe it changed since you booked?

• Options
    I also verified with Kim - "they reserve the right to book events on both phases." Seems that things are defintely changing...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I wouldn't want to share my venue with another wedding at the same time. It'd make it feel less special.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_double-wedding-at-lanikuhonua?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:efe9ca02-4e3a-47f6-bd50-5eca3b323ffbPost:093dd512-9ee0-4176-996b-08d3caf38817">Re: Double wedding at Lanikuhonua?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow! I am surprised. I should email the new coordinator and find out. That will definitely limit on parking. I knew they didnt like to double book because of the use of the grounds. I initially wanted Phase I, but it is being used on Jun 30, so I got Phase II on Jul 1 so that they could alternate sides.
    Posted by HaYnCaNdi808[/QUOTE]

I originally wanted July 7th, but since someone had already booked, and at that time we were told they unfortunately can't book both phases on one day we chose to do July 8th. what pisses me off is NOW they want US to be OK with sharing Lanikuhonua?! amazing... what a bummer.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_double-wedding-at-lanikuhonua?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:efe9ca02-4e3a-47f6-bd50-5eca3b323ffbPost:35b3da68-8e67-4b10-84ab-d7f2eb3f5a29">Re: Double wedding at Lanikuhonua?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't want to share my venue with another wedding at the same time. It'd make it feel less special.
    Posted by kimmykupcakes[/QUOTE]

unfortunately it does. with all the things going on with the wedding that we're dealing with, this was the last thing I wanted.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_double-wedding-at-lanikuhonua?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:efe9ca02-4e3a-47f6-bd50-5eca3b323ffbPost:0e91ef66-c712-4317-9f87-a4cd1d49bbe7">Re: Double wedding at Lanikuhonua?</a>:
    [QUOTE]my BFF is gettnig married there later this year and they told her that they are starting to sell both sides.    Seemed likea big property when we did site visit so we're not too concerned about it
    Posted by destiny1108[/QUOTE]

When did your BFF book her date?
  • Options
    I can't get over what's going on. am I over reacting?
  • Options
    Possibly since Marriott took over the booking?? What if both of you have large weddings of 250 people or more? Can you imagine parking, noise, etc?

And definitely - I was 1 minute too late for June 30... and had to "settle" for July 1, which I am fine with now, but still... it wasn't an option to sell me the other side on June 30 last year...

I hope I don't run into WC probs though... when I signed the contract back then it didn't say you needed professional WC, however, the new contract states you do! I just turned in my info form... we shall see.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_double-wedding-at-lanikuhonua?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:efe9ca02-4e3a-47f6-bd50-5eca3b323ffbPost:413b6c7c-ff62-40f7-8462-c455ffac538d">Re: Double wedding at Lanikuhonua?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Possibly since Marriott took over the booking?? What if both of you have large weddings of 250 people or more? Can you imagine parking, noise, etc? And definitely - I was 1 minute too late for June 30... and had to "settle" for July 1, which I am fine with now, but still... it wasn't an option to sell me the other side on June 30 last year... I hope I don't run into WC probs though... when I signed the contract back then it didn't say you needed professional WC, however, the new contract states you do! I just turned in my info form... we shall see.
    Posted by HaYnCaNdi808[/QUOTE]

I had to settle for July 8th too! I hate how they're changing their rules up and not notifying any of their clients. About the WC, I have hired a DOC just for piece of mind but I'm still not sure if that applies to people who have booked prior to the beginning of this year.

We were told the event, not sure if its a wedding, will be about the same size as ours, 150. We actually wanted July 7th but we were a FEW seconds too late. We also asked if they'd let us book phase 2, WHICH IS STILL AVAILABLE AS OF TODAY, but were rejected "as much as possible we try to avoid double bookings of the same day and time..." I was ok for settling for July 8th but now WE have to share lanikuhonua with another event DURING THE SAME TIME as our wedding.

Shame on their shady, vague business practices. If it weren't for our love for that side of the island and the view, oh and THE COUNTLESS AMOUNT OF HOURS AND MONEY we've already put into our July 8th wedding day I would opt to move it to July 7th like we ORIGINALLY wanted, but honestly who wants to shaire their special day? The location itself may be 10 acres but its not like the two phases are seperated by physical dividers.

Kim tried to reassure us that we won't hear anything and they'll be out of our hair, but our phase is closes to the same entrance that the other event will be using. Either way I wanted, was hoping, had originally thought that I would be the only bride who could say they got married at Lanikuhonua on July 8th at 5 pm.
  • Options
    I got married there 2 weeks ago and granted, there was no one in Phase 1, at one point in time I could hear cheers from the luau next door. Luckily, you wont have to be right next to the luau, but it does suck to have to share your space with another bride. 

Honestly, I dont think you will have too much of a problem. In phase 2, we were set up on the opposite end and there are trees that divide the 2 sides. 

Sorry, if that doesn't help much, but I will say that our arch was set up a few feet from the wall and all I could focus on was the pastor and hearing the waves right next to me. Hope you still have a great time regardless! 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_double-wedding-at-lanikuhonua?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:efe9ca02-4e3a-47f6-bd50-5eca3b323ffbPost:2fea5a70-e045-4a41-9cd3-bd80fb00502c">Re: Double wedding at Lanikuhonua?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Double wedding at Lanikuhonua? : When did your BFF book her date?
    Posted by Philamer[/QUOTE]

She booked the beginning of January of this year.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_double-wedding-at-lanikuhonua?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:efe9ca02-4e3a-47f6-bd50-5eca3b323ffbPost:37eb836b-10af-4d9c-a625-69d4fe484f72">Re: Double wedding at Lanikuhonua?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Double wedding at Lanikuhonua? :  About the WC, I have hired a DOC just for piece of mind but I'm still not sure if that applies to people who have booked prior to the beginning of this year. 
    <div>
    </div><div>Who did you hire for WC?  I am trying to book Lanikuhonua but havent found one I like for a reasonable price.  I hate how we have to get a "licensed" WC.  My friends on the mainland laugh when I tell them "licensed."</div>
  • Options
    we asked about the "licensed" WC and were informed it is because they want to ensure we are dealing with professionals that are registered to do business and are reputable.  They also suggested looking at BBB
  • Options
    the same thing happened to us for my lanikuhonua wedding.  when we tried to book phase I originally we were told that there was a morning wedding there and they refused to book two weddings in 1 phase.  but they let us book phase II for the afternoon and assured us they would not double book for the afternoon.  as our wedding neared we were informed that there would not only be two weddings that day but THREE on the property, with another wedding occuring the same time as us. kim assured us the noise would not be a problem but throughout the ceremony and reception you could hear music from the phase I wedding! it didn't ruin our day, but needless to say we were very irritated. even though they told us the phases were far enough apart, its just impossible for the sound to NOT travel across the grounds.  given the new management of the grounds, i would never recommend anothe bride book their wedding here, unless they don't mind sharing their big day.
  • Options
    uh oh, i booked my wedding here next summer and am in Phase I and they are having a wedding in Phase II.  should i be worried?  Who did you use for your WC and your vendors?  Any vendor recommendations would be so helpful!!  Caterer, photography, videography, dj, hair/makeup?  Getting excited it's coming up so soon!!!!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_double-wedding-at-lanikuhonua?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:efe9ca02-4e3a-47f6-bd50-5eca3b323ffbPost:7d51d425-457b-4406-b5bb-869eccc007f6">Re: Double wedding at Lanikuhonua?</a>:
    [QUOTE]uh oh, i booked my wedding here next summer and am in Phase I and they are having a wedding in Phase II.  should i be worried?  Who did you use for your WC and your vendors?  Any vendor recommendations would be so helpful!!  Caterer, photography, videography, dj, hair/makeup?  Getting excited it's coming up so soon!!!!
    Posted by Papaya55[/QUOTE]

<div>You will be fine!  It's obviously not ideal but no one at either wedding is going to be concerned about the other.  The property is very large!  Lanikuhonua is a beautiful spot to get married at and with all your friends and family there no one can take that happiness away from you.  Please contact me if any of you still need a WC!  <a href="http://www.L-4-Love.com" rel="nofollow">www.L-4-Love.com</a>  Good luck and congrats to all of you getting married!  </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards