Hawaii
Options

Is this tacky?

Okay because we are having a destination wedding I would rather our guests mail the gifts to our house or bring us giftcards, rather than bring the gifts with them to Hawaii. But, I feel if I put any thing of this sort in the invitation it will sound rude and like we are expecting a gift, which we're not. What to do? What to do? Any suggestions?
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Is this tacky?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Lots of stores now have their registries strictly online which allows for your guests to purchase online and then have the gift at the store for your pick up or directly shipped to your home address.  This might be a good option to look into...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, it is absolutey tacky to include anything about presents on your invitations. This means you should not even mention that you have a registry, nor where you would like gifts sent, as part of the invitation. It is fine to include links to the registry on the website, and if you have a special circumstance, you can list something about gift locations here. For example, we are moving to another state after the wedding, so before 1/1/11 please send gifts to 123 town lane, and after to 456 any lane. In the absence of a real extenuating circumstance, don't say anything about what you would like people to get you. Most people are smart and know not to bring you a 10pm cast iron pot in Hawaii. After all, it's not like they want to haul it out there either :-)
  • Options
    Ready2wed11Ready2wed11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So, then do I never mention we are registered anywhere?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    best way to handle communication about registry and gifts is word of mouth.  often times guests will ask a close family member or wedding party member where the couple is registered at.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_this-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:f232ff3f-6ed1-44a7-84d8-9d8b3d6e8927Post:36274171-2c8a-4c34-9f37-284b6c6f5957">Re: Is this tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]best way to handle communication about registry and gifts is word of mouth.  often times guests will ask a close family member or wedding party member where the couple is registered at.
    Posted by jaymers99[/QUOTE]

<div>This!  we made it clear to our guests that their presence at our DW was gift enough since it isnt cheap but we do understand that people will want to give gifts anyways as do people who are unable to attend. We registered at a couple places and told our parents and wedding party incase anyone asked. We mostly got cards with money or gift cards in them anyways. </div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The girls are right. Don't mention the registry in any printed mailing (it looks gift grabby); use word of mouth. It'll get around, don't worry.
  • Options
    maui2011maui2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yep totally agree...my mom and/or friends added to my shower invitation where are are registered which i was not at all happy with...mostly because i did not really want to register in the first place...my mom and friends pushed it...plus i do find it tacky to include it in print.  It should really be a word of mouth thing...if people want to know they will ask. HTH! J. :-)
  • Options
    Ready2wed11Ready2wed11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the tips ladies. This was news to me.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

My fiance and I don't want people to get us gifts either.  Can you politely word that on an invitation or just tell them in person/writing once we know that they are coming to the DW?

• Options
    AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most people won't even think of bringing gifts, but they will bring cards.  Only 1 of our guests bought an actual gift to Maui and it was a beautiful picture frame so I was more than happy to carry it home.  Bottom line, people know the situation and most will plan ahead accordingly.  We handled the registry business via word of mouth as well, it really got out at Bridal Shower time and we had a nice mix of gifts and $$ from both the shower and wedding. 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards