Hawaii
Options

White or Ivory Dress for Outdoor Wedding

Hi Everyone!  I am new to the knot boards.  My FI and I are getting married at the Olowalu Plantation House on April 28, 2011 and I am a little behind in planning, but am trying to kick it into gear (otherwise we will have a beautiful venue and nothing else!) :)  Anyways, quick question - I found my dress and am really debating the ivory vs. white decision.  With my skin tone, I can wear either and always thought I would wear white, but am worried that white may be too harsh in the Maui sun.  Any thoughts?  What did everyone else do?  The dress is taffeta and the groomsmen (and probably groom) are all wearing white shirts with khaki pants. 

Thanks in advance!

Re: White or Ivory Dress for Outdoor Wedding

• Options
    sld0618sld0618 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My dress is diamond white, it's like a mix of white and ivory.  I'm getting married on the beach though, and I thought white would be too harsh and bright.  The GM are also doing the white dress shirt, so we're waiting until I get my dress in to match them up to it.  I don't think it will really matter though if they match or not, just as long as FI does to me.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Truthfully, I say go with whatever colour you like best. Mine was neither white nor ivory but a warm white.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    go with whatever you want! my dress was taffeta too and i ended up picking ivory so it didn't look as harsh with my skin tone.
  • Options
    AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree, go with whichever dress you like more.  My dress is white, white as I think it will look best against tan skin, but it's really just a preference thing!! 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I tried my dress on in "soft white" and if they didn't tell me it wasn't white, I never would have known the difference.  I don't think you can wrong with either shade.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    LocalwahineLocalwahine member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I live in Hawaii and getting married here as well. Maybe you hsould ask your husband what color he likes...I mean I asked my husband and he said white. His was response was that ivory looks like someone peed on it...Traditionaly its white, its a more cleaner look.
  • Options
    AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Local - That is too funny what your FI said!!  I feel like some varations of ivory can look too yellow, almost like the dress has been hanging up in a closet for the 70 years, but there are a lot of beautiful ivories out there as well!
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    IrishgauchoIrishgaucho member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for all the advice.  I actually ended up going with the ivory - it is a very light ivory - although I agree that some can be very yellow and look a little dirty.  The bridal shop I bought my gown from didn't have a sample of my dress in white, but I was told that the white for my dress was as bright as new snow.  So, I opted against choosing a color that I hadn't seen and that I was worred would be too harsh.  I also picked my fiancee's brain and he was fine with whatever I wanted.  So, I ordered the dress - one more thing off the checklist.  Woo hoo!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards