Hawaii
Options

Kauai Wedding this June

Aloha Ladies: 
I have been reading the blog off and on but have never posted before.
I live on Kauai and have been planning our wedding since last June. I thought I could handle everything in the year's time before the big day, but I am starting to feel the pressure of perfection, also too many DIY projects.
We have already rented a house on Anini Beach where we will be married and have our reception. We've got the band lined up but are still working on who is going to actually marry us. We weren't able to find a caterer we really liked so we are going to do the pupus ourselves and some friends of ours are going to make some Thai food for us to serve late night in to-go boxes. What's your favorite Thai dish?
I have a friend working on our invitations and other paper goods BUT the decor and set up is what's really killing me. I shouldn't be surprised because I live here, but it is so incredibly expensive!! $12 a chair?!? I should start my own business. I have a feeling we're going to be taking on even more DIY projects so we don't surpass our $6,000 budget. Even though the costs keep rising, I keep feeling as though I need to do more for our guests because everyone is flying all the way over here... when is it enough? We are doing simple salt favors and making CDs with some of our favorite songs. I also am planning putting together OOT bages for all our guests. Any suggestions on the basics to include?? We don't have a lot of money to work with, we figured with our knowledge of the island we be everyone's best tour guide.

Any calming thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated Laughing

Re: Kauai Wedding this June

• Options
    Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

My favorite thai dishes: pad thai and pumpkin/squash curry. Yum!

And yes, chairs are expensive! Especially chavari chairs! If you go with regular white chairs, you can definitely dress them up to help cut on cost, but it sounds like you have a lot of DIY projects going on already...?

For OOT bags, as a guest to Hawaii, I'd probably want to see some local treats, small bottle of sunscreen, maybe a couple bottles of water, a beach mat, and maybe some sarongs? 

Hope that helps! :)
    DW Siggy Challenge
    Dream Honeymoon Destination: Bora Bora

My Planning Bio *updated 04/10/12*

Visit Maui.Weddings.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Whew! Good to know prices are super high out there ( i guess i could've assumed though ) ... we're planning one for Kauai from Illinois and I'm kinda nervous.

Good luck with your DIY projects! Have any more friends/ fam that can help out?

What house are you renting on Anini beach that's allowing a wedding, if you don't mind sharing? Thanks!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- While trying on a wedding dress, I asked my 3 year old niece what she thought. She responded "where are your glass slippers?"
  • Options
    Hi!  I just read that you're wedding date is the same as mine!  Just different islands, I'm on Maui.  Good luck with your planning. 
  • Options
    I originally wanted to do what you were doing and have the wedding at a house we rented for the week, but once I figured out house expensive it was going to be to rent a tent, tables, chairs, etc..I decided to give up that dream and now we are having at Hukilau Lanai..which is much cheaper!  Of course that may not be an option at this point for you..  I think all that you are doing for your guests is fine.  If they didn't want to spend the money/make the effort to be there, then they wouldn't so I'm sure they don't expect much from you.  Good luck planning!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    look at Martin Roberts Florals and Kauai Tent Rentals for the chairs.  They quoted me less than that for chairs.  i'm not sure if this is because I'm also working with them for flowers or not.

Also, Congrats!!!  I'm getting married in Poipu at the end of July!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards