Alabama
Options

Drinking at a Youth Minister's Wedding??

My fiance is a Baptist Youth Minister and has said that he has strong feelings about there being no alcohol at our wedding. I'm ok with that. My parents aren't, and they're paying for the wedding. I'm stuck in the middle, not knowing what to do. Any advice on how to settle this?

Re: Drinking at a Youth Minister's Wedding??

• Options
    WGachesWGaches member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow that's tough. FI and I were both raised southern-baptist, but we will have alcohol at our wedding, because some guests would prefer that and we are hosting. I think you should talk to FI and tell him that you respect his values, but that he doesn't have to drink at the wedding. If your parents are paying then they are hosting, therefore it is their say so and theirs only. Unless you both want to pay for the wedding yourselves, he should lead by example. It's not fair for him to try to pit you against your parents and force you to choose sides. And - something I've learned through wedding compromises - once it's settled, it's settled. No one should bring it up again. Period.
    *Jeremiah 29:11* SoyFreeBlog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was raised southern baptist, so I can understand why your fiance feels the way he does. As a youth minister, he really shouldn't have a "bar" at his wedding. I would try to get your parents to compromise.  What about just having a champagne toast only? You could have a non-alcoholic version available as well so everyone can participate.
  • Options
    stacey.taylorstacey.taylor member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Was also raised southern baptist.  We had alcohol...my husband and I wanted...my parents didn't and refused to pay for it.  We had no issue with that.  What's important to remember is this is your wedding, not your parents wedding.  Do what is right for the two of you...you don't want to regret it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards