Ohio-Columbus

Ceremony Location

I'm going over my budget tonight, and I'm looking through St. Paul's information. (In Westerville)

They want a $200 celebrant stipend, $20 for each server, a musicians stipend, and a $250 church fee...

At least $450.

Is that normal?!

I'm totally in love with this church, and don't know if my family is chipping in or not, but that seems steep. It's absolutely stunning, but I don't know about $450...

Local brides, where are you getting married?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Ceremony Location

• edited December 2011
    I am doing everything at the Everal Barn. 2 hour rehearsal, and 12pm to 10pm rental period for $595

ETA: It's a Tuesday and I work full time in Westerville. If you don't it's doubled.
  • edited December 2011
    An you have to hire your officient on top of that? and cater food...I'm looking at the Clocktower.

Maybe $450 isn't so bad...I'm going through sticker shock...

Everall Barn is GORGEOUS. That's much lower than I thought it would be. I have a Westerville address, maybe that would help.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Karadee1Karadee1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at Our Lady in Grove City, and our total will be around $550. (We've booked the date but haven't had to pay yet.)
  • edited December 2011
    caradi, that is just for the ceremony?

The Clocktower is $800, plus about $20/person for food. I just can't afford an open bar. Our guest list is at 168, way more than I want it to be...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • amcollins32amcollins32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we just had this conversation not too long ago (it may have been on our facebook group..can't remember) but some churches were charging upwards of $600-800 for ceremony after music, janitorial fee, officiant, etc.  $450 is not bad compared to what other brides said they were paying.
  • amcollins32amcollins32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh and let's be serious...if St. Paul's is the new Church I was just at a month or so ago for a wedding, i'd pay a million dollars to get married there..it was BEAUTIFUL haha.
  • edited December 2011
    Hahaha, yes that's the one! My parents got married in the old chapel, and I was upset when they tore it down because I wanted to get married there...

I was upset until I saw pictures of the new one! Had to go in and see for myself! I'll go ahead and give them a call, soujnds like I just went into sticker shock. Thanks, ladies! This is all so over whelming, 3 days in!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Karadee1Karadee1 member
    edited December 2011
    Yes, just the ceremony. We're having our reception at the Oak Room in the Columbus Athenaeum. The room was reasonsble and has a low minimum. Totally manageable for our guest list - we're expecting about 100 people total. I have loved working with the Athenaeum so far - they can get pricey, but I'm a lazy bride who wants a simple, fun wedding with minimal work, it's been great for me so far! Hahaha They do ceremonies too but I'm not sure how much. I'm catholic and my FI is converting so we want to have a church ceremony.
  • csh96csh96 member
    edited December 2011
    I got married at St. Mary's in German Village.  I was not a memeber of a church in Columbusfor at least a year before the wedding so I automatically had to pay even more.  I think I paid around $1000 or maybe a little more for everything, including music.  I believe most of the Catholic churches I visited would ask for around the same as what St. Paul's is suggesting for a member or at least more than $100 and less than $500.
    image &nbsp ? image
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-columbus_ceremony-location?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:112Discussion:15243496-af0a-468e-9344-6bf50fc51ea2Post:cf12ed0f-9444-4380-98f2-e90596b43ea7">Re: Ceremony Location</a>:
    [QUOTE]An you have to hire your officient on top of that? and cater food...I'm looking at the Clocktower. Maybe $450 isn't so bad...I'm going through sticker shock... Everall Barn is GORGEOUS. That's much lower than I thought it would be. I have a Westerville address, maybe that would help.
    Posted by lnm130[/QUOTE]

We are members of our church, so our Pastor is doing it. It's Bring your own food. No alcohol. And, yeah having a Westerville Address does help.
  • casims3casims3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing our ceremony (and reception) at the Athenaeum. I think the total for our ceremony with room rental and everything is $900.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    About how much are the average officients? The Athenaeum is a little more per person for dinner...I'd need to crunch some numbers.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    lnm, St. Paul's is actually less than some of the other local Catholic churches (crazy, I know).  Some are in the $1000+ range.

Also, just a heads up if you're looking at other parishes, some parishes won't marry you unless you (or FI) are a member, no ifs, ands, or buts :-/
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks, guys.

I'm going to look into the olde gahanna sanctuary and possibly look into officiants.

I also have tours scheduled at the Athenaeum as well as the Clocktower as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Brit12Brit12 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    If you find a church or venue that allows outside officients, there's plenty around town that you can get for around $150 (rehearsal dinner and day of).

Olde Gahanna Sanctuary is nice but not church-y anymore really (we had our reception there). If you're looking there for JUST the ceremony it's way overpriced ($975 for the day, they don't rent by the hour).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards