Alaska

DJ or Live Band??

So, we are getting married at raven glacier lodge next 4th of july weekend, which is also the weekend of the girdwood forest fair. The owner of the lodge suggested getting a live band since there will be so many in town already and thus, will most likely be cheaper than usual.

I am really attracted to that idea, however, we have some concerns. We're worried about not getting all the songs we want played (like from my fav band, Spearhead), a dj would still most likely be cheaper, and bands take breaks while djs don't.

I dunno, any thoughts?

Re: DJ or Live Band??

• tamaralenaetamaralenae member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They aren't going to open the lodge to anybody who wants to see that band are they? That would be a concern of mine.
    We are going DJ, just because you can't always dance to the music of a live band, and with a DJ they can play any genre. It’s a good idea though, but check with the bands to make sure they aren’t already booked up for the forest fair, and see if it would be cheaper. Since Girdwood isn’t far from Anchorage I wouldn’t think they would charge more.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • cjone2000cjone2000 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, I would go with what kind of feel you want for your wedding -- you want live entertainment that may have limited music selection, or a sound system with a large music library? Are you you dancers or using the music just for background and listening enjoyment?

DJs aren't neccesarily cheaper... depending on if they bring a dance floor, provide lighting, and all that sound equipment, and remember travel to/from your wedding site. I've done numerous events in Anchorage and the Valley because of my job and found the going rate for a party 4-6 hours is about $1200-$2000 depending on what you have the DJ do.

A live band will also require sound system set-up and travel costs that will play into how much they charge. They also may take up more space in a venue than a DJ "booth" would, so keep that in mind. But it is a nice change to have a live band from a DJ at a wedding. I tend to remember the music more when performed by a live band than a DJ.

Good luck!
  • dco324dco324 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I prefer a DJ for the variety of music vs. one style with a band.  It depends on your guests and their personality.  A band would be a nice choice for something different.

I looked at several DJs and many requested lodging for events outside of Anchorage as well, so keep that in mind when you budget and meet with them.
    I married my best friend on July 8, 2011
  • edited December 2011
    Why don't you make a compromise. While the band takes a brake have a iPod play.This way you get the best of both worlds: live music and you can also insure that you get in your favorite songs that don't fall into the band's genre.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks guys-- all very helpful. I definitely want to have a dance party, so a dj might be the best option. Also, fiance works with a guy that owns a dj company I guess and he'll give us a discount.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards