Alaska

Alyeska

FI brought up the option of having our wedding at Alyeska right from the start.  I said that I thought it was "typical" and wanted to do something a little different for our venue.  So we've been looking... and looking... and looking.  And nothing is quite fitting right.

We went by Alyeska on Sunday after visiting our top choice in venue (which after the visit wasn't the top choice anymore) and I'm really liking it!  I'm really irritated at myself for how much I'm liking it.

Is Alyeska "over done" in the wedding world?  75% of our guest list would be OOT, so only our local friends would get it.  But it just feels so NOT original. 

Your thoughts?

Re: Alyeska

• edited December 2011
    I say no, but then I'm getting married in Las Vegas- what's more "overdone" than that?

If you just want a nice place to get married and party, go for Alyeska.  It's gorgeous and fun.  But if you are into originality, I would keep looking.  Don't pick it just because you're stumped- you'll end up finding something later and being really disappointed.

Have you checked out the latest edition of Alaska Brides mag?  There was at least one venue in that issue I had no idea existed before.  If you're interested, PM me, I'll dig it out and send you the details.

HTHs!
  • edited December 2011
    There's an Alaska Brides Magazine?????  I need some details!
  • edited December 2011
    If you like Girdwood, have you looked into the Raven Glacier Lodge? The owner doesn't do any advertising, so it seems to be relatively unknown. I went to a wedding there two summers ago, gorgeous!

And there is an Alaska Bride Magazine, I love it! I have bought every issue since we got engaged! I usually pick it up at Freds or Barnes and Noble.
  • edited December 2011
    Yes there is!  http://www.alaskabride.com/ I'll find that venue tonight and send you the details.

Like Jdykstra said, you can get it at fred's or safeway.  It seems like there are a LOT of places that don't advertise in traditional ways- word of mouth seems to be it. 
  • edited December 2011
    Here's that venue I mentioned http://alaskasunsetviewresort.com/resort/occasions/forWeddings.htm

But really, get the magazine, there might be more that you haven't checked yet.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    FBgrrrrl... sent you a PM :)

jdykstra28 - I think we did call Raven Lodge... I want to say they didn't have the capacity for our guests?  There was somethin gthat didn't work... can't remember though.  There have been too many!

Oh and yes I did look at the Sunset View Resort.  It was one of my first choices.  We live in the area and drove by.  They have gotten the best of the best in their pictures, but the other areas aren't quite as nice.  Oh and my coordinators have worked with them before and had a few things to say about their logistics Sealed

I'm soooo going to pick up that mag today!  Would love to get your opinion of the info in my PM to you :)
  • sethandmaiasethandmaia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @4MandaBelle, I am now finding myself in the same position you're in! I turned my nose up at Alyeska but now it's seeming more attractive -- and since, like you, we're going to have a lot of out-of-town guests, it seems like it would be nice to have it in a location that's Alaskan without being SO ALASKAN. If that makes sense. Plus it seems like Girdwood could potentially offer less-expensive options for guests who want them -- like rent a cabin with a bunch of people, right? 

How many guests are you going to have? We're estimating around 250.
  • edited December 2011
    Maia - I'm guessing 80-100.  About 80% of our guest list will all be OOT so we'll invite about 150.  All our family and most of our friends are from the lower 48, its just the local friends that won't have to travel.

Where abouts are you?

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We'll probably end up with 250-300 invited, so maybe 200-250 at the actual event. I'm not sure what the actual breakdown will end up being, but I'd say we're probably somewhere around 50/50 in-state/OOT. We live in Turnagain so we're also looking at downtown Anchorage venues, and maybe the Aviation Heritage Museum (outside) on Lake Hood? I kind of like the idea that Alyeska could be a weekend getaway for our Anchorage friends who want it to be, but it's also close enough that they could just drive out for the event. I think we're going to go out there this weekend and take a look.
  • edited December 2011
    If you don't mind driving a ways out of Anchorage, the Tern Lake Inn is a great option. We're having our wedding there on June 26 of this year. It is located in Moose Pass, so about a 90 minute drive from the city.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went out and looked at Alyeska yesterday and really liked it -- it would be beautiful, but they have this firm limit of 200, and I'm worried about having to trim our guest list too much. I'm also not thrilled about some of the room rates I'm seeing online for the hotel (I know some of our family won't mind if it's expensive, but some will) -- anyone heard anything about what kinds of room deals they cut?
  • edited December 2011
    As far as I have been told from my coordinators, they do a 10% discount on your block of rooms, but do not through in a room for the B&G like some other places do.

I was considering this too since most of my guest list is OOT, but there ARE other places to stay in Gridwood that are cheaper.  They don't have to stay at the hotel the wedding/reception is at.

What room did you look at?  We are looking at the Kahiltna room, but there is a room down the hall that seems like it would be able to fit a lot more.  200, really?  Hmmm.
  • edited December 2011
    My fiance and i looked at Alyeska. I fell inlove with it. But being as im on a budget i wasnt about to pay $6000 for just food. NO WAY!
    Another great place is OMalley on the green. The golf course off OMalley. Its super nice!! BUt they too are $6000 for food. UGH!
    I dont remember the exact pricing for the room rates that Alyeska offered but it wasnt near enough to where we said "OK!! we'll do it". If we had ended up doing our wedding there we would have had more than 30 rooms rented and they werent willing to give us any kind of deal with that. Sooo that was a big negative for us.
    What i ended up doing ( because i wanted something different ) was i rented out Abbott Loop Park off Elmore. Its beautiful and was only $115 for 2 days. I rented a 3500sqft tent from a tent rental place ( totally spacing on the name of it right now) in Eagle River. They provide all chairs, tables, lights.. pretty much everything. Im excited and its not costing me an arm and a leg. :)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I like that there are lots of other housing options in Girdwood. And we definitely liked the hotel. We looked at the Columbia and the Kahiltna. The Columbia has a max of 200, which I think they could honestly stretch in the summer, because there's an anteroom outside where they can set up your bar and your buffet, and then you can (for an additional fee, naturally) rent the Columbia patio just outside, which is tented and has teak tables/chairs in the summer. You can set up a bar there, too, and I know my uncles and the groomsmen would be more than happy to spend the whole reception out on the patio smoking cigars. The 200 number must be their fire marshal-dictated limit. (Hmm... my dad is friends with the Girdwood fire chief...) I posted my photos from our tour to Flickr if anyone's interested: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ownthesidewalk/sets/72157623898303224/

Stacy, I like the park idea -- I think we're going to do that for our rehearsal dinner (which will end up being more of a welcome party for our out of town guests). 

We have appointments to look at the Dena'ina and the Museum this week.
  • edited December 2011
    I thought about the Museum, but the thought of not being able to start until 7pm scares me.  Say the ceremony actually starts at 7:15, ends at 7:30, an hour for pics, reception entrance between 8:30 - 9... that seems awful late to start a dinner.  JMO

My coordinators went up to Fairbanks this weekend and it sounds like the hotel up there isn't going to work.  I think we're going with Alyeska afterall!
  • mallarsmallars member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    "They say that a picture is worth a thousand words..., if this is true, then a video is an encyclopedia." - unknown. Welcome to Upper One Studios! Imagine this - Soft music fills the air with your chosen music as each and every one of your guests arrive. Your family and closest friends are smiling and talking to one another as they await your arrival. Your handsome groom takes his place at the altar after walking down center aisle, and the most precious flower girl anyone has ever seen tosses rose petals as she slowly makes her way past your esteemed guests. Now imagine this - You missed every single second of that! While you were busy getting ready to make your grand entrance, all of this happened without you! Wouldn't it be nice to have captured that on film? Without a quality video, you will miss important moments that you have been planning for so long. It's your wedding...Don't miss it! Upper One Studios Specializes in making your wedding day memorable with captured moments that last a lifetime. Video is naturally less obtrusive than photography. With absolutely no need to pose or arrange you and your guests, the videographer is stealthy and silent and completely out of your way. A skilled videographer can catch all the events and guest interactions without you being aware of their presence. The wedding video is almost always the last thing that wedding planners think about, but it is ALWAYS the most cherished and memorable aspect when included.  Don't let it pass you by! Take a look at our brochure today and contact us! The sooner we are involved with your wedding plans the better we can serve you and make the most out of your most cherished occasion. If you don't think it's worth it just as yourself one quick question - Wouldn't it be cool if you had a copy of your grandparents wedding video? If you answered yes to that - then how do you think YOUR grandkids would feel if you could provide them with a copy of yours? We think the the answer is clear. Call us today to set up an appointment and we'll make those wedding dreams a reality. Sincerely, The Wedding TeamUpper One Studios907-351-4602www.upperonestudios.com/">www.upperonestudios.com
  • edited December 2011

Early weekdays are cheaper then thursdays, fridays, saturdays and sundays. My fiance and I are getting married on a monday in August at the Hotel Alyeska. $5000 minimum for food and only a $500 fee for the ceremony. We wanted our wedding to be at Hatchers Pass but they wanted $5000 and we could only have 50 guests. At Alyeska we could have up to 200 and we are expecting anywhere from 150-200 guests. It is naturally beautiful in Alyeska so you really don't have to gob it up with decorations and you can save there too! :)

• edited December 2011
    I have heard great things about Tern Lake in and seen some pretty awesome pics but have not had the chance to go visit. Do you know how many people they can fit? Are you planning on having the reception inside, or renting a tent for outside? I love that part of Alaska!

Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    We are getting married at the Alaska Zoo this summer. The price was far better *cheaper* than the other venues we looked at (O'Malleys, Bayshore & Botanical Garden) Since we have lots of OOS guests and kids we thought it would be perfect for our informal wedding. We will have the run of the zoo- our guests get in free and their contact person Yana is WONDERFUL about returning calls/e-mails same day. I also really like the fact that they set up all the table and chairs and break it all down.
  • edited December 2011

Ms Cruver - Our wedding at Tern Lake will be fairly small, no more than 70 guests. Ceremony outside, reception inside. The owners (who are lovely, fantastic people by the way) recommend no more than 85-90 guests if having an inside reception. Although I've seen photos of past weddings where a big tent was rented and they held the reception outside as well.

--Audry

• nda_roxybabenda_roxybabe member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I don't think Aly is overdone, I've not been to a wedding there.
  • AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think that Alyeska is overdone at all.  I have lived here almost my whole life and believe it or not have never attended a wedding there.  That is where we were planning to have our wedding until we got engaged and decided that Maui is a bit more our pace.  I think Alyeska is gorgeous, and oh, the photos you can get there.  But, they are quite pricey although we are spending the same amount in Maui that we would be if we went to Alyeska! 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • girdwoodvowsgirdwoodvows member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having our wedding at the Alyeska - easy to get to from Anchorage for our out of town guests, some of whom wouldn't make the gorgeous drive otherwise. Here is a link to Alyeska Accommodations they have very reasonable condos and houses for rent from studios to houses that sleep 8+. http://www.alyeskaaccommodations.com/default.html
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards