Alaska

Destination Wedding in Alaska

Hi,

Is there any one out there planning a destination wedding in Alaska? My fiance and I are from Colorado and planning to have our wedding in Seward in 2011 and I'm having trouble finding, a photographer, a caterer and a florist at reasonable prices. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

Laura
imageAnniversary

Re: Destination Wedding in Alaska

• edited December 2011
    Mind if I ask why you are coming up to Seward?  Do you have family up here? Have you ever been here before? I'm just curious :)

I'm not planning a destination wedding here, since I live here, but I would suggest getting a copy of the Alaska Brides magazine http://www.alaskabride.com/ It might have some suggestions for vendors you haven't come across yet.  Hopefully some of the other posters will chime in.  I'm in Fairbanks and know very little about Seward vendors. 

A surprising number of Alaska vendors still don't have websites, and advertising is often by word of mouth.  But you'll find something eventually. HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    Actually, it became a compromise.. My fiance didn't want the wedding in Colorado and I couldn't imagine my wedding on a beach somewhere. We are also planning to take Alaskan cruise as our honeymoon from Seward when our destination wedding is over.
    imageAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
    As far as photographers, most of them are located in Anchorage/Wasilla and travel throughout the state for weddings. My photographer is traveling over 2 hrs for our wedding.

Do you know where you are getting married in Seward? If it's at one of the hotels, they will most likely do the catering as well. A lot of the hotels require that you use them as the caterer.

I don't know about any florists down there, but I would bet they have one or two!? We are having an Anchorage florist do the flowers and we will deliver them ourselves, but that is easy for us since we live here!

I would definitely try the Alaska Bride magazine like mentioned before, it's a great resource. Good luck!
  • sethandmaiasethandmaia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely check out Alaska Brides magazine -- and consider hiring a coordinator. We just hired Designing Divas (http://www.ddplanners.com/) -- our friends used them as DOC for a wedding in Homer last summer and said it was the best money they spent. They also do a few other packages of varying levels/prices, including one in which they'll plan the whole thing. And they're super fun.
  • edited December 2011
    We are using designing divas as well, they are fantastic!!
  • edited December 2011
    Seward can be chilly during the summer *esp. compared to Co* so keep that in mind!

Flowers wise you might contact the local Safeway but if you have a coordinator they might be willing to drive the flowers to Seward for you. :)

You might also try contacting the local commerce chamber and Park service. There are some TERRIFIC placed to have pictures taken off the beaten path.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm excited that there are other brides posting in the past couple of weeks! 

My fiance and I are planning our wedding from Vancouver, WA and after spending a bunch of time researching caterers for a month I finally decided to just hand the reigns over to my aunt who owned a restaurant before retiring. It wasn't the direction that we wanted to go but we couldn't find the perfect caterer in our budget and with our date available.

I ended up finding a local photographer that also works in alaska so it was really the best of both worlds. You can check out his website at www.fotovitae.com and he cut us a nice deal since he really wants to shoot more weddings in alaska (his rates were the same as he charges locally). His style is photojournalistic so it also depends on what you are looking for.

• edited December 2011
    Definitely check out Ashley Therese Photography - Ashley and her husband travel all around the country and do not charge for travel, which is fantastic!  I am so impressed by her work and by her as a person! You will LOVE her!

www.ashleytheresephotography.com/">http://www.ashleytheresephotography.com/

Good luck!
  • AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am pretty sure that Chugach Peaks would travel down to Seward, they are adventerous guys.  I also have a friend who owns a photography co in Anchorage, let me know if you would like her contact info.  Not sure if they would be willing to travel to Seward, but you never know...
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Alaska is such a cool place for a destination wedding!!! Definitely check out Ashley Therese Photography - Ashley and her husband travel for no additional cost within the country which is awesome!! 

• edited December 2011
    I just moved from to Anchorage from Denver and am starting to plan our wedding up here!! Once I find some good info to share, I'll definitely let you know :) Yay Colorado!
  • edited December 2011
    I live in Colorado but will be travelling up to Alaska this summer. I wasn't planning on working while I was up there but might be convinced to if you like my work.
    www.freshinlove.com
  • treesytreesy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi,
    I'm planning my wedding in Cooper Landing (not far from Seward) in July 2011.  I have a photographer & florist already from Anchorage and Soldotna, both are very reasonablly priced and very experienced.  Jason Shea Photography & Tammy's Flowers & Gifts.

Let me know where you end up on the catering.  I have a few leads but not sure what to go with.  I know the area very well, I grew up in the Kenai Peninsula, but am planning everything from Manhattan which is where I live now.

• edited December 2011
    Laura, my fiance and I are thinking about doing the same thing in May 2012. I'd love any advice you might have on it! I really know nothing about Alaska, but we wanted to be unique and have a beautiful backdrop! It's just going to be the two of us so I want to make sure to get some beautiful photos. Thanks so much in advance!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards