Delaware
Options

HUGE check!!! Finally!

I ordered my gown today.

I'm also waiting to hear back from The Vanderbilt Mansion/Museum in Centerport, LI NY about reserving them for our pictures. If they are available on my date and time I'd be soooo friggen thrilled. The mansion/museum is an early 1900s spanish revival and would make for some breathtaking photo ops rain or shine.
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: HUGE check!!! Finally!

• Options
    wicked_faerywicked_faery member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    congrats!!! I'm not ordering my dress untill at least the end of june (probably going to wait till august though...i wanna lose weight & ATM i'm in the plus sizes...JUST BARELY! so yea...wanna save that $50 extra! lol
    ~~~~June 15th 2011~~~~ Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic My Planning Bio - Updated Nov 2nd
  • Options
    Mattsbride10Mattsbride10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You sound like me lol. I am as budget as you can get(although I am very particular). I waited on finding a gown as well bc I needed to drop alot of weight. I also used netbride.com to purchase my dress and saved myself almost $200 putting me way under budget. I want to put that money towards the photo location I mentioned above which is about the same.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    that's cool ^_^

& yea i'm bad...i've always been frugal...if my mind wasn't realistic in the fact that stuff costs alot to get what i want...i'd not pay anything for a wedding...my FI kept trying to talk me into just eloping/signing papers...cause in his culture, weddings are 3 days long! but i told him NO! i want my day!...i'm concidering this a compensation for having a shitty 8th grade formal, no junior prom, & a shitty senior prom, on top of it being my wedding..
    ~~~~June 15th 2011~~~~ Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic My Planning Bio - Updated Nov 2nd
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on finding/buying your dress! 
  • Options
    Santorini2011Santorini2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

BIG congrats girl!!!!    Let us know what you think of netbride.com

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on buying your dress!

FYI, I am plus size, and bought an Alfred Angelo that was A) not only cheaper than David's Bridal, but B) the same price as their "regular size" dress, since they don't charge extra for plus size brides. 

Just a thought; they also have a crap ton more choices than David's in plus size/larger sizes.  Plus, no one else has worn/tried it on, which made me really happy; I didn't want a dress that had spots/handmarks/etc, which is what we found when we looked at Davids.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh i'm not planning to buy a sample dress. the $500-$550 is for me to order.I don't know if i'd want to trust a store that i can't go to physically if something's wrong when the dress comes in. i'm just that way
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you go to the Alfred Angelo store in Lancaster, you can try every dress on in pretty much every size.  That's how I did mine; I went up there and tried it on, and then ordered it down here (for less than $550).  Mine is custom with color, so it had to be specially ordered. 

I don't know, for me, David's Bridal really irks me.  Most bridal gowns are custom ordered, and when david's came along, they changed the viewpoint of many girls, but not only that, they put many many hometown bridal boutiques out of business.  Not only that, but the service at David's Bridal was horrible for me both times, and many many others.  Also, you should worry about the whole ordering it and something going wrong at David's as well; I have heard horror stories of girls not getting their dresses, and also being treated like crap.  It happened to me in my older sister's wedding; they didn't even order the dress at first, then they kept saying it would be here rush order and it took forever, and when it got in it wasn't even the right dress!  It was absolutely horrendous and stressful not only to me, but to my sister.

I am not saying your experience was horrible; I have heard a few stories where they get that one excellent consultant.  That definitely didn't happen for me.  I am just saying I personally think you (and every other bride) should look at more than one store, and definitely look at others besides David's.  At least I knew when I ordered my dress (with plenty of time to spare, that's why they tell you to order early at any boutique, including David's) that if something went wrong, not only would they rush ship another custom dress, but I would also be treated with kindness, understanding, and helpfulness- not the rudeness and lack of help I got at Davids.  Plus, at every single store we went to, except David's, I was treated like I was the only bride in the world getting married.  At David's, I felt like i was on an assemply line and a cookie cutter bride.

Like I said, based on the reasons you are giving for wanting to go with David's, I personally think you should look at one or two more stores before going with them.  There are several excellent boutiques around here that other girls can give you recommendations for, and you can go to them any time for anything you need help with.

Sorry, I just get very up in arms about David's Bridal (as do many other brides), because of the horrible service, because comments were made about being a plus size bride (yeah, it was embarassing and I cried on the way home, since I don't have control over my weight because of medical reasons), and because so many brides say they go there to save money, when you can get much better dresses for better deals at other places.  The salon I went to made me feel special, and they made me feel beautiful.  When I came out of the dressing room in a dress that wouldn't zip, I cowered in the corner because of the comments made at DB.  The girl I was working with said to me,"you are gorgeous, come out here and show it off, don't be afraid to look at your beautiful self in the mirror while wearing the most important dress you will ever wear."  It really was a totally different experience, and I know several girls on here (well, the ones that were here when I started posting, most of them are married and have moved on) will tell you the same thing.

/rant.  Sorry, I just get very upset over the entire thing.  If you are happy with your dress, that's wonderful and I am happy for you.  To the other girls who have not chosen a dress yet, please take the time to look at several places, and take into account other's experiences (not just mine!). 
  • Options
    jacqcfjacqcf member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't a DB fan. They have really put brides into a mass market factory for their most special day.

I went there to try a dress on and was left in the dressing room for 15 minutes with no help! I left and never turned back. And because of that experience, I also don't do Mens Warehouse since they are affiliated with DB.

I believe every bride should be made to feel special and the specialty shops do that. But if they don't, then walk out. Your money, your day, your dream!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards