Delaware
Options

Our poor cat...

has feline acne on his chin...and it's bad.  We took him to the vet yesterday because of a marble sized bump on his chin, and the vet gave him an injection of cortizone to help the swelling and all.  He also gave us cat acne medicine with Benzoyl Peroxicide in it.  He said if we can get the pus out, then do it gently- relieving the swelling and infection will help him feel better.  We are also cleaning it with anti-bacterial soapy water 2x a day.The problem is, we can tell he is in alot of pain, his eating is being affected, he isn't cleaning himself, and the pustules have only gotten worse- they are all over his chin area, and they are on his bottom lip as well.  He now has two big ones right where his fangs come down, and they are starting to bleed.  He has lost most of the fur on his chin, and is scratching at them as well.The vet said to wait until the weekend to see if they get better, and call on Monday if it's not.  My thing is, if they look like they are getting worse and his symptoms are getting worse as well, do we wait that long to call, or do we take him in sooner?  The ointment is 1x a day.  I just don't like seeing him in this much pain.  I read on the net while researching it that if it doesn't get better, they may have to put him under anesthesia and manually pop them.  He's 11, and has never had this before.Do I wait 'til Monday, or do I call tomorrow morning if it seems to be getting worse/not getting better?  I just don't know what to do :-/

Re: Our poor cat...

• Options
    lmicoluccilmicolucci member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If it gets worse, then def call the vet.  My 10 year old cat Callie had pimples in her chin and I just switched her bowl from a plastic one to a ceramic one.  It seems to have helped a lot.  It's something with the plastic in the bowl.  my friend's cat had this too, and she has to wash his face with dial soap and has a little comb to comb his chin.  he doesn't like it.  Oh, and she said that you shouldn't be using ceramic bowls either...a metal bowl is best. 
  • Options
    amlinton1615amlinton1615 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used to work at a Vet and ditto what Lura said about the Metal bowl.  I heard clients say this helped a lot after doing this.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't have any experience with cats....but I would call tomorrow if it's gotten worse/not gotten any better. GL! I hope he gets better soon!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Poor kitty!I hope he's feeling better soon
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    yeah, i'd call 2marrow if it doesn't look any better, and deff switch to metal bowls!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone... we actually just got back from the pet store, where we bought new metal food and water bowl.  We also got a vitamin "sauce" that goes on top of his food that is heavy on the Omega 3 Fatty Acids...the vet recommended trying that as well.  We have been caring for it all day, doing warm compresses, warm anti-bacterial soap washes, and trying to get as much gunk out as possible.  I have a feeling though that we will end up calling the vet tomorrow.I just feel so bad for FI- this is the cat that was by his side when his parents split, when they had to sell the house, when the family business crashed...through it all, this cat and FI have stuck together, so anything that causes Mr. Kitties pain, well, it doesn't sit too well with FI.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards