Delaware
Options

Beach Question

Hello All.  I've never posted on this board before, so let me do a quick intro.  My name is Donna, FI is Patrick.  We are from Baltimore, MD and planning a Sept 2010 wedding.  I'm really set on having a beach wedding, and am not too fond of Ocean City, MD so I thought we were pretty set on having an Outer Banks, NC wedding, but FI just told me he's not sure about that since it's 6 hours + away for us and most of our guests.I'm writing to see if you all have any experiences with Rehoboth Beach...in particular the Indian River Life-Saving Station for weddings?  Pics, good experiences, bad experiences, etc. would all be greatly appreciated.I look forward to hearing from you girls and hope that I may be able to share any ideas with you all as well.TIA!!!

Re: Beach Question

• Options
    lmicoluccilmicolucci member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    see a couple of posts down.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    IRLSS is gorgeous and in my opinion the perfect beach wedding location!  However, the cost was prohibitive for us and I couldnt justify the high price tag of the location.  2 years ago, it was $4,000 just to rent the venue and then you had to rent the tent, dance floor, table, chairs, etc etc.  That stuff added up!  Plus the fees were high for vendors since its on state park land.  I think you could find a similar location in the OBX for MUCH cheaper.  If you want to stay in the DE beaches, there are a few much cheaper and just as nice locations!  I was married on the beach in Rehoboth and we had our reception at Salero- www.saleroonthebeach.com .  There are a few locations in Ruddertowne, but I can never keep it straight where they are and when they allow weddings- check them out at www.deweybeachlife.com. There are a few of us that had beach weddings so definitely ask questions if you have more!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi! I live near the beach. Just a quick correction from an above poster. Ruddertowne's Web site is actually www.ruddertowneusa.com. It gets confusing because the bar The Rusty Rudder isn't actually part of the Ruddertowne complex, but it IS next door. Deweybeachlife.com is the address for the Rusty Rudder, Jimmy's Grille, Venus of the half Shell, northbeach and the Bottle & Cork. They definitely do weddings at Venus on the Half Shell and northbeach. Ruddertowne USA is comprised of the Lighthouse, the Lighthouse Cove, Que Pasa and...something else, I can't remember. They just redid a lot of these restaurants, so I'm not sure where they would have weddings, but they're all right on the bay in Dewey Beach. You can also check out locations in Bethany Beach, which is a smaller town between OCMD and Rehoboth.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    dewdrop525... Thank you so much for your response.  IRLSS really does look beautiful and I received a really quick response from them...they didn't say anything about having to rent EVERYTHING!!  Yikes!So besides needing to find that out, they don't have the date available that we were looking to get married...so now the question lies...do we move our date (if this is the place) or what.I'm looking for a beach ceremony and a reception place that isn't your typical reception place.  IRLSS seems like that place, but we are really not trying to spend an arm and a leg on our wedding.  So if any of you girls know of beachy reception spots in Rehoboth, Dewey, Bethany...please advise.  Like I said, we are not from Delaware and aren't particularly fond of OCMD...so any help would be greatly appreciated.We definitely haven't ruled out OBX, we were just trying to see about places slightly closer!Thanks so much!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    kikikins13,Thanks for the clarification...Question, is Venus on the Half Shell and Northbeach the actual place/name of the reception place and Rusty Rudder, Jimmy's Grille etc. the caterers?Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    **Butting in** It gets a bit confusing because almost all of those restaurants/bars in Dewey used to be owned by the same people, and the Ruddertowne complex was sold a little over a year ago.  We had our reception at Crabber's Cove (part of the Ruddertowne complex) but also looked at the Bay Center (same owner as Ruddertowne), North Beach and Venus (same owner as Rusty Rudder, etc).  All are bay-front properties, which makes for a gorgeous reception location.  Bay Center and Venus are a bit fancier, while Crabber's Cove and North Beach are a bit more low-key/laid-back.  We really liked Venus and North Beach (BayCenter was too formal for us), but they didn't have the seating capacity for a wedding of our size. All have their own on-site catering; last time I checked, Baycenter/Crabber's Cove were a bit less expensive than Venus/North Beach, but they all essentially still had the same menus (this may have changed by now though).As I said, we went with Crabber's Cove and were thrilled with the service there.  Everything was included in the per person cost.  I think we paid $62 pp for a crab cake and chicken breast meal, and that pp cost also covered 5 hours open bar, hors d'oeuvres and gratutity - Crabber's Cove provided all the linens, dishes, set-up, etc, there were no hidden fees or extra costs.  We got married on the ocean side of Dewey (at Dickinson St, so we just walked two blocks from the ceremony to the reception), but had it rained, we could have had the reception at the reception (no extra cost).  They were great to work with and very helpful.  Full review and photos in bio.One thing to note about Dewey is you are only allowed to set up 75 chairs on the beach.  We got around this by setting up big white beach blankets for our 160+ guests to sit on (PIB), but I know not everyone would be keen on this idea, so it's just something to keep in mind as you are looking at venues!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby248 - ETA 1/10/13
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ah that is confusing- sorry!  We got married in the summer so a lot of the places in that complex didnt allow weddings in the height of the season, so I didnt get to see them, but I've seen pics of weddings that have been there and they are just gorg.  We did look at the Baycenter which was really nice and IMO offered a really great deal.  I loved that everything was included in the price. I'd go check out the places in person and see if anything suits you before looking south.  The IRLSS is just beautiful, but the other places listed are very nice as well.  Good luck!  
  • Options
    katiehutkatiehut member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi, We're getting married at the Addy Sea, a b & b in Bethany.  The Addy is great because they do all of the catering (including the bar and cake) and the flowers.  It's also a beautiful space.  The inn is old fashioned--think shabby chic--and the backyard (where the ceremony and reception are held) is gorgeous.  The ceremony and reception take place in the dunes, so you've got a lot more privacy than you would on the actual beach.  Plus, the cost of the venue includes all the rooms at the inn (13 in total) for the night of your wedding and they'll give discounted rates for the night before.  This is hugely convenient if you've got people coming in from out of town, which it sounds like you will.  The one downside is that the space is small and your list is limited to about 80 guests. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The fee for the IRLSS goes to the museum. Maybe it could be a tax write-off. I have heard good things about them. The workers seemed very organized when I met with them. I can't remember the woman's name but I really liked her. We couldn't get the date we wanted there, as they book up fast. The other thing I was worried about was the wind.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards