Delaware

Cupcakes

Is anyone planning on doing cupcakes instead of a cake?
I saw a picture and love the idea of a small round cake on top for cake topper and then teirs of cupcakes. Also thought this would be cheaper than a cake. 
Also thought my bridesmaids and I could have cupcake making party the day before the wedding.  
I told my mom and showed her a picture and she didnt love it. 
What do you all think?
cheaper than a cake? possible to DIY with my bridesmaids? or too stressful right before wedding?
 Has anyone done it or been a wedding that had it?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Cupcakes

• edited December 2011
    I am doing this at my wedding in may.  I already have the cupcake tower built.  My mom and her best friend are going to make the cupcakes for me.  I am having about 150 people.  Their plan is to make the cupcakes the night before and have them all ready to go.  We will transport them to the reception in bakery boxes.  When we get to the reception we will place them on the cupcake tower.  My theme is the beach so I am covering them with graham cracker crumbs to make it look like sand and I am putting a little chocolate seashell on each one.  I think the way we are doing is wayyy cheaper than a cake!
  • JayElleJayCeeJayElleJayCee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's definately a cute idea. I'm not doing it for the wedding - but it was done for my bridal shower and it looked so adorable! Do what YOU want to do! If you love the idea - then go for it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • EiDuffyEiDuffy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i love the idea of cupcakes for the bridal shower, i think i will pass the idea on to my girls :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • scalhoun125scalhoun125 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    jessilynnwood- Thats great your mom and her friend are doing it for you! kind of silly ? but are they making from scratch or using premade boxes (duncan hines, betty crocker)?  I'm trying to decide if I think it would be too much work for me and my bridesmaids night before wedding (after rehearsal). Maybe my mom will volunteer too ;) still working on our guest list but inviting about 125-135.
    do you think it would be too stressful for me?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • JayElleJayCeeJayElleJayCee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it will (unless you really really love to bake). haha. If you have help it might not be so bad but if you could get someone else to do it then you might not feel as stressed. You are going to be thinking of a million things that you have to do, may have forgotten, etc. However, the night before the wedding, me and my girls are having a slumber party - so now that I think of it.. it could be fun! Just don't be too hard on yourself if they don't turn out perfect!!!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

I made cupcakes for my wedding.  We had a cake that we cut for pictures, but it was just sent home with my SIL for her son's confirmation the next day.

We made cupcakes for all the guests.  We boxed them and stacked them on the table.  Cake, centerpiece, and favor all in one!

Our wedding was Saturday afternoon.  My mom and I made the cupcakes on Wednesday.  We used boxed cake mix (no one believed they were from a box!).  We made a buttercream icing from scratch the same day.  Then on Thursday, my mom and 3 bridesmaids helped me ice, decorate, and box them.  Finally, Friday my husband dropped them off at the hall (they set them up for us on Saturday).

Everyone told me I was crazy for wanting to do this, but it was so easy.  Luckily, I had gotten everything done ahead of time and this was really the onlhy thing I had to do the week of.  It was a nice, stress free activity.  You can do it, without issue, just plan everything ahead of time.

Here's a picture of them on one of the tables:

And here are some pictures from my sister's cell phone of the work in progress:

• edited December 2011

I think that's an amazing idea.  But don't take it all on by yourself!  That's A LOT of cupcakes!!!

Also... it might be extra work, but I say make the batter from scratch.  It definitely makes a difference.  I have a couple of great recipes if you want them, for both the cake and the frosting.

Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh i would love the recipes! Thanks!
    and yea that sounds good to do few days before the wedding. didnt know how they would taste...but if everyone says they couldnt tell then sounds good!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I mean everyone will have their opinion, but I can't tell you how many people have contacted us since the wedding asking which bakery we bought them from.  You've got plenty of time to practice ahead of time with recipes and flavors.  Try making them and tasting them over a few days and seeing at which point you still think they're good.

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh thats great advice! thanks!

RecoverActor: do mind giving me the recipes?

ill practice my cupcake making now :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards