Delaware
Options

Ed Oliver Golf Course

Hi All, 
Does any have anything to say about the Ed Oliver Golf Course (formerly Porky Oliver's)?  My fiance and I check it out on a whim, and it's got a really chill atmosphere that we were looking for.  

Unfortunately, i can't find ANY information about it! If anyone's been there for a wedding or other event, what was it like?  And, how was the food?  Since it was closed for a while, it seems to have fallen off the radar.  Any comments would help.  

Thanks so much!

Re: Ed Oliver Golf Course

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The only thing I remember is when I first came on (two years ago), there were a couple of girls who had issues with them- deposits, returning calls, the wedding being horrible, that type of thing.  I can't speak from experience, but I know a ton of people who won't even look there because of what's been pulled before.

What's your budget, and what exactly are you looking for?  I know you said "chill" but what do you mean by that?  The girls on here are AWESOME about recommending great vendors, so if you let us know, we should be able to help you out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

From personal experience- I'd put up the caution flag. I was previously engaged a few years ago, and my ex fi and I decided on there. We put down $1000.00... and then called off the wedding four months before our date. Obviously, I didn't expect any money back, but in the 6 months that we had our date booked, they called us twice to tell us they had other people who wanted the date and were willing to put down more money, they tried to raise the prices even though we had it in our contract that we were set in stone with those prices, and then were pretty cool and offered us a nice dinner in leu of getting the $ back. When my family and I went to use the dinner they promised us, the manager swore that he hadn't promised it to us and he had no recollection of it. They really just seemed shady to me and kinda put a bad taste in my mouth about them.

Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    tfinn29tfinn29 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

This golf course/clubhouse is under new managment.  I know some elected officials who have held fund raisers there recently and I've heard good things about the new people running it and the food.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We had originally checked out Ed Oliver's because they were in our price range.  We ended up going with another vendor that had similar prices, and I couldn't be happier with them.  It's the Clarion Belle Hotel in New Castle.  It used to be a Ramada Inn years ago... but they just renovated the entire property and its gorgeous.  Their website is http://www.clarionbelle.com and everyone there is super nice.  Ginny is the woman who does the special events stuff, and she's been wonderful. 

They're even doing a special gluten-free dish for my friend who has celiac disease.  My dad has been in the food service industry for years, so I took him with me when I met with Ginny, and he asked if he could look at the recipe and see if he could make it gluten free for her without changing anything that the caterers do.
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    kiwigreen11kiwigreen11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Briar Rose, to get back to you...we're looking for a reception/ceremony site for 80-100 people, and about $7000 for the reception (which still seems like a ridiculous amount of money to me).  We're looking for something that's more casual and relaxed (like, not hotel ballroom formal), plus I want windows.  My family's from northern NJ, FI's from DE, and FI and i live in baltimore, so delaware is about as convenient as it gets. 

We've checked out the Bayard House, Vandiver Inn, Mendenhall, Concordville, Rockwood, Waterfall, Ed Oliver, Arden Gild Hall, and Farmhouse, and liked the Vandiver and Ed Oliver's teh best.  The # of guests and budget seem to be making things difficult.

For those who worked with Ed Oliver's before...was that under the new or old management?  and how much of a difference do you think that would make?  

Thanks bunches!
  • Options
    Santorini2011Santorini2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I visited during reno so no real exp but the woman was very nice.  I think it might be a national golf course mgmt company so it might be more professional.

The thing that drve me away was the shape of the room.  We have ~200 guests and I was concerned that they would be in the front area and never see anyone in the area by the bar. But having less people, you could prob avoid that.

Have you tried any of the state park venues?  Also, the Museum of Contemporary Arts in Wilmington sounds perfect for you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I'm not sure when new management took over, but I've been trying to get my stinkin' dinner for a while. My wedding was planned for 2004, and we've talked to them once a month since then. I've given it up in the past two years. I'm just tired of arguing.

I'd def. check some state parks... Chesapeake Inn as well. They're not insanely priced, and theres a tooon of windows.

Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    When are you getting married?

A friend of mine got married in the off season last year at the Chesapeake Inn.  Of course its beautiful, but the prices were really low as well.  I don't remember the actual price or how many guests she had, but it was way worth it. 
    September 2011 August Siggy Challenge- Drag Queens!! imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you want lots of windows, I ditto Chesapeake Inn.  I also agree with the suggestion to check out Delaware Contemporary Art.

http://www.thedcca.org/content/weddings

http://www.martuscelliandsons.com/ci/?p=banquets

I went to a wedding at the Farmhouse a year ago (Mrs.LuraT) and it was beautifully done.

If you want something a little different, check out the Stone Barn in Kennett Square.  We went to a weddin there last October, and it was GORGEOUS.  Not a ton of windows, but the atmosphere and design of the space totally makes up for that (though we were in the second room, and the bigger room has more windows I hear).  She had 80 guests, and was under your amount, so it might fit into your budget.

http://www.thestonebarn.com/receptions.htm

What about doing something at the Horticultural Center?  That's a gorgeous spot, though you would have to check on pricing.

http://www.dehort.org/about/facilities.php

You could also look into Blue Bell Barn, a redone barn that has a contemporary (with lots of windows) feel.  It's a state park run facility.

http://www.destateparks.com/events/blue-ball-barn/index.asp

Finally, you could always consider my space.  I went with the Executive Banquet and Conference Center on 896.  They did a wonderful job, and we got tons of compliments- even people asking for info on having their kids' weddings there!  It's very affordable (130 ppl for under $7k, with open bar, cake, centerpieces, and colored linens included).  We booked in 09, so I do know that their prices have gone up a bit, but not by much at all.

http://www.executivebanquets.com

My only other advice to you is to look for All Inclusive spots.  Places like DCA, State parks, etc, all require you to bring in EVERYTHING- tables, chairs, linens, plates, cups, silverware, etc.  It can get expensive fast- and catering isn't cheap (many of them have set recommended vendors that you have to use, and some of them are pricy).  By going with someplace like Chesapeake Inn, or Executive, or the Farmhouse, you get much more for your money, even if it may not seem that way.  Take all that you get from these places- linens, centerpieces, open bar (and bartenders, which you often have to pay to come in), cake, etc- sometimes when you start comparing that way, it makes more sense.

Also, I hate to say this, but every bride learns to compromise.  You may have to give in on a venue that isn't your dream one, or you may have to cut your guest list.  We didn't have beef (though I love it).  Things like that you have to make decisions on- is it that important?  If it is, go for it!  If not, what will work in its place?

Good luck!  Hope these suggestions help you out!
  • Options
    kiwigreen11kiwigreen11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow that is a ton of information!  I'm hesitant to do any of the non-inclusive packages b/c the more i look at it, the more likely the costs are going to exceed our budget (i'm a budget analyst, so numbers are kinda my thing).  

Unfortunately the chesapeake inn has raised their prices -- seriously what is with the 5% price increases when inflation is flat?  That's a whole other rant....  Another thing w/ the state parks is their indoor options are too small, and the one that would work my fiancee is opposed to (apparently he doesn't want to start a marriage at the blue ball barn...that's the 13 year old in him :) )

Briar Rose, do you have any photos of the Executive Banquet Hall, I know their prices are reasonable, but I can't get a good handle on what it looks like.  

Thanks for the info on Ed Oliver's everyone.  Luckily, FI and I are looking at spring 2012, so I'm not too worried (yet).

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Are you on FB?  Either way, here is a link to their FB page and there are a ton more photos on there then on the website.  Unfortunately, I don't have my pro shots back yet of the reception to show you, but the photos on the FB page hit it pretty much right on.

FB page:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Newark-DE/Executive-Banquet-and-Conference-Center/63428272823

Wedding Setup Photos:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=143934&id=63428272823

If you have any other questions about them, email me at msbriarrose@gmail.com

Some other items of interest about them that may help you:
    -if you do a beer and wine reception instead of open bar, it cuts $8pp.
    -Cake is totally included and is done by Cakes by Kim (aka orgasm in the mouth, it's sooo good!); we really like the fact that Cakes by Kim does a gift cert for your first year topper instead of you freezing it and it tasting like yuck.
    -They give you colored linens free of charge, instead of just white or ivory (which is what the rest of the venues in DE/PA/MD do).  We also did mixtures- we did some white on bottom, blue overlays, white napkins, and others were blue bottoms, white overlays, blue napkins.  It looked really awesome.
    -it will hold 400, but it's not so big that you feel overwhelmed if you only have 100
    -The centerpieces are included and are done by Elena's Broad Street Florist in Middletown or Ridley Park Florist in PA.  They are low centerpieces, but I preferred those anyway so our guests could talk.  If you decide to, you can go elsewhere, but they only credit you half of what you get at their prefered florists.
    -You get 6 butlered horderves for cocktail, 4 stationed.  Our favorite thing?  They were actually hot, not lukewarm or cold. 
    -They have a bridal suite with couches and your own (giant) bathroom; you will need the space when you have 3 people helping you go to the potty!
    -Vendors meals are included, no cost- and you get hot meals for them, not a sandwich.
    -Kids meals of Chicken Fingers and Fries are $10, not $50 like at other places.
    -They offer a discount of 10% on Fridays and Sundays.
    -On the sheet you get (I have the prices if you want it), it includes gratuity, so you don't have to add it in.

Brad is really decent at what he does, tho he can be a little overbearing at times.  You just  have to be really specific, and he does it all.  The one thing that won us over was our RB- he is Autistic, and was on a special diet.  I asked every other place we called/visited if his mom could bring his meal in, since he was on a really specific diet.  Everyone else said no way, you have to prepare it here, yadda yadda.  Brad said not a problem- and he said if there is someone who needs Gluten Free or something else, they will work with you to make sure everyone is happy.  That sold us right there.

if you have any other questions, email me!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards