Delaware
Options

The Grand Opera House

Soo... I've been talking about Bellevue Hall and how I am supposed to view the venue next Wednesday.. I went to Appleton yesterday to talk with Glen to see if there was any other venues that I might not know about. He pretty much had the typical halls/hotel banquet rooms - but there was one that caught my eye...

The Grand Opera House in Wilmington. It just sounds amazing although I have never been there. Has anyone else been there? I have an appointment set up to see it after Bellevue next Wed. :o

Oh this is just soooo much fun - even if it is stressful!

Re: The Grand Opera House

• Options
    edited December 2011
    You do not want to do it at the Grand.  Two reasons:  Parking in the city (expensive and not enough of it!) and that area is not the greatest at night (at daytime you are fine).
    My FI's family lives in The Residence at Rodney Square on Market St (right at the corner of Market), and work on Market Street as well (next to Wright and Simon).
    I have also been inside it; are you doing it for just the ceremony?  It could work for the ceremony, but I don't think the setup is condusive for the reception.
    I don't mean to burst your bubble, but in thinking about your guests, it wouldn't be a good idea.
  • Options
    JennLonginoJennLongino member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

WELCOME BACK! Hope you are well :) You are back sooner than I thought! Dedication... you have it girlfriend!

And stoppppp busting my bubble!!!! hehe j/k
    It's good to know these things.. I feel like there is no such thing as my perfect venue any more... oh how tiresome :(

• Options
    edited December 2011
    LOL, thank you!  My mom brought over a desk thing that slips under my bed (kind of like the ones that the hospital has for their beds).  I can put my computer and other things on it, so now I am able to use my computer (the whole reason I thought I would be gone for a few days was beacuse I would not be able to get to the desk where my computer was.  I love this thing!  It makes my life so much easier!

I hate to say this, but after over a year of planning, it's something I think every bride needs to hear:  There is no such thing as a perfect wedding, or a perfect venue.  Even mine, while I love it, isn't perfect; I wish it was in a different location and had a more scenic setting around it, and I wish it was decorated just a bit differently.  But, it had the most likes versus dislikes for me.  Nothing is ever going to be exactly as you want it, and even if it is (ie you have the money to have everything just the way you want it), things are going to go wrong on your wedding day.  It may be something very small, like your garter breaks or you left your earrings at home, or something bigger (which I don't want to think about).  The point is, it's not about the wedding, it's about the marriage, and the fact that your family and friends are there to celebrate you two.  You could have it in your backyard, and your guests would be just as joyous and happy for you.  If you focus on the right stuff, then everything will either fall into place or will seem so trivial to the really important stuff that it just won't matter :)

Sorry for that being long!  I hope that helps!  You will find someplace, I promise.  What is your budget?  How many guests?  And finally, how do you envision the day?  That will help the other girls make suggestions for what you want.  I promise we will help you find the right venue for you!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My budget for the whole wedding is around $15,000.00

As far as my vision.. I want it to have southern charm which is why my heart was set on Bellevue. I want something very whimsical..  But like you said  - pros vs cons. My guest list is around 80. Finding other venues that sound interesting to me is difficult. They are usually too much money or a little too high end. I want it to be elegant but casual. All southern food. I don't want to eat anything I can't pronounce! lol. I called the Stone Barn and the guy there was kind of rude to me when I told him the food I wanted - he was like "well we aren't that kind of facility." I couldn't believe my ears!!  I want a place where I can have the ceremony and reception at one location with the option to have everything inside in case it rains.. I know i will have to compromise but just finding places i'm even interested in looking at is hard! It's even harder that I have to take off of work to look anywhere.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh. and what a great idea about the computer desk. I bet you will never use the old one ever again!! haha. I wouldn't at least! lol. Glad to hear your surgery went ok :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The guy from the stone barn gave me that kind of attitude too! I loved it there, but he took me back to the (small, dark, moldy) room that we would have to use because of the lack of people, and then all of a sudden, he was mr nice guy! The Bellvue sounds beautiful!
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow! I can't believe that guy was a jerk to you too. It totally turned me off. I didn't even set up an appointment to view it. How many guests are you having?? You know I don't think it should matter in my personal opinon about your guest size. If you are willing to pay for a better room you should be able to.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What about The Carriage House at Rockwood?  Their caterer is pretty nice and open to working with menus.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    the carriage house is not a bad idea. it's cute when it's all done up.  I should look into it. i'm also looking into Mount Harmon Plantation in MD. I'm just so worried about a tented wedding due to weather..
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jenn, you should check out The Clarion Hotel in New Castle.  That's where my reception is going to be... it's the Clarion Belle, and southern hospitality is their motto.  I'm not even kidding.  http://www.clarionbelle.com

It's adorable... the woman that work there are all fantastic, and they have some great menu options. 

ETA: They also just renovated the entire property. 
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the tip! I wouldn't think to do a hotel. But it does sound like what I'm looking for. I will check it out now! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Another one to check into would be the Blue Ball Barn.  Now this is run by DE State Parks, like Bellevue, so you have to do the catering thing, but I am okay with this place because a) it's taken care of; it's practically brand new and has been kept up, and b) because there is enough room to sit all your guests without splitting them up.

http://www.destateparks.com/events/blue-ball-barn/index.asp

Have you thought about going into PA?  There are several mansions that would classify under Southern feel, and depending on if you are flexible on dates and day (doing an off season wedding on a Friday or Saturday will save you money!), you could get a deal.  Some off the top of my head that you may like are:
    Pen Ryn Mansion
    Knowlton Mansion
    Normandy Farms (Beautiful Dairy farm they converted into a wedding hall!)
    Aldie Mansion
    Glen Foerd Mansion
    Lucien's Manor (Southern NJ, not far at all)
    Pearl S. Buck Estate
    The Stotesbury Mansion
    Phoenixville Foundry
    The Highlands
    Valley Forge Military Academy
    Greystone Hall
    I didn't check exact location on all these but tried to get ones that were relatively close to DE, so I just looked up some of them on the Philly board for you; as you can see, there are a lot more options for a mansion, and many have a southern feel to them.  I also didn't do Southern NJ (except for that one), but if it's just right over the bridge, it may be worth looking at.

Another one in DE that you might look into is the University and Whist Club.  While I have not heard the greatest things about them, that was several years ago and it may be worth it to check it out.

Hope that helps!  If any other mansion or southern feel locations pop into my head, I will let you know :)

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow!! You weren't kidding!! I know I checked out a few in PA that were listed above and they were def. out of my price range. But there are some there that I haven't so I"m going to get to work now! lol. Thanks again I really appreciate all the help!
  • Options
    Santorini2011Santorini2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just a thought...some places in PA are BYOB.  This brings your cost down significantly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards