Delaware
Options

Celebrations Florist

Has anybody used them? My centerpieces are included with my reception venue and I've been trying to set up a time to go over things with them. They seem so annoyed that I'm trying to meet with them. My wedding is in June, so I know I have time, I just want an idea of whats included. They said they haven't even talked to their January brides.

Just wanted to know of any experiences with them. TIA.
Anniversary

Re: Celebrations Florist

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Which venue are you using?  And where is Celebrations located?  I can't say I have ever seen them on this board- are they a PA florist?

I will be honest with you, it's too soon to be doing your centerpieces.  I didn't meet with my centerpiece florist until mid July, and my wedding is in October.  The reason I say that is unless you are going to be getting your personal flowers there, the venue florists tend not to want to spend time with the brides.  I know that sounds harsh, and I felt hurt by it too, but I would rather you know now instead of going in and seeing it firsthand. 

The reason I say that is because they actually don't get paid all that much by the venues for the flowers- my florist gets something like $15 a table I think, and I got a $30/table credit to spend with her.  The reason they do that is because it's a contract- they cut the amount the venue pays them in exchange for being the exclusive florist for that venue.

The other reason I say that is I don't know if you have picked out your personal flowers yet, but if not, you may want to wait and do that first so that you have an idea and can coordinate similar flowers (or at least colors) with the in house florist.  And I say do your personal flowers first because until you have everything in writing, you never know when your mind will change on what you want- I wanted Gerbera Daisies and ended up with Stargazer Lilies.  I had planned on Gerbera Daisies for the centerpieces as well, because they are inexpensive, but found out when we met with the inhouse florist that Stargazers were included in the price, and managed to get my favorite flower in all my flowers.

Finally, the other reason I say wait is because it won't take that long, trust me.  Unless you plan on paying for an upgrade for the centerpieces, most in house florists have a minimal selection of what is included- it won't take long to go through those selections at all.  I was in and out (and that included browsing the gift section) in under 20 minutes.

Sorry to not help more, I know it's tough waiting and you want to get things done sooner rather than later.  I would at least wait until January, if not later.  In the meanwhile, use that time to get other projects done (advice I wish I had taken; I am a month out and running around trying to get things done that I could have done a while ago, like spray painting baskets and finishing the RB and FG accessories, and also trying to do the stuff that can only be done at this time, like counting up RSVPs).

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The reception is at Harry's Savoy Ballroom. I guess they're technically in PA, but their design studio is in Delaware.

The only thing is, since they were going to do my centerpieces, I was also going to go through them for the bouquets, and everything else for the ceremony. I have almost everything else done, and it's killing me that I have to wait! They also do linen and napkins (which I wouldn't get through them if I needed it anyway), but my planner at Harry's told me they told the overall look of the room. We have our tasting at the end of October, so I was hoping to have an idea of what we would do in the ballroom.

I guess it is too early and I'm just jumping the gun (like I did with most things...oops!). And I guess it makes sense that they're not that interested in me since I haven't mentioned that I would be getting the other flowers through them too. But, they keep putting me off, and nobody is discussing the timeline with me. It's just frustrating!

Thanks for the advice though!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    JayElleJayCeeJayElleJayCee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I definately think it's a little early but I also think that they should be nice about it!! I hate when people don't take the time to explain things to you.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've heard of Creations for Celebrations..and Harry's is actually in DE.  I also agree with PP, it is too early to begin your centerpieces or personal flowers. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Depending on who you go with, it's not too early to do personal flowers, especially if you need to pay over time.  We did my flowers about a year before the wedding, because of that reason. 

I will say this, though.  While it may seem easier to use the people who are used by the hall, but don't feel like you have to.  I have actually heard from girls that sometimes, using the in house florist can be worse for your personal flowers, because they don't treat you with as much respect.  There is a ton of great florists in DE, don't feel like you have to settle.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't post on this board often but this florist was my orginal florist up til 1 month before our wedding.  Without bashing this florist on the board I wanted to share my personal experience.  Our centerpieces were also included by them in our package.  They were more then happy to meet with me in the beginning when I intially was looking into having them do all of our flowers.  However, when they came back with a price that nearly doubled other florists that were going to do the same amount of flowers I let them know I was just going with the centerpieces only.  If you don't hit a certain amount of money the designer who is also the owner wants nothing to do with you and passes you off onto a very rude and arrogant receptionist to consult with. If you try to contact them Thursday-monday they state they are in production for events so the only days they will get back to you are Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I had some very minor questions when it got closer to our date and I basically was ignored and pushed aside on every occasion.  At one point I was told we have another wedding your same weekend and they did pick a full flower package.  I guess that was suppoed to scare me.  I also got to see a lot of there work at our venue and was not impressed for the amount of money being charged.  I ended up taking the credit from our reception venue for centerpieces and going elsewhere.  I was very happy in the end and wish I would have dropped this florist way before I did and saved myself a headache.  The attitude you are getting from them now never gets better it has nothing to do with how early you are trying to plan when it come to this florist.  I agree with PP there are a ton of great florist don't settle.  I hope this helps and GL! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Suzy! That does help a lot. I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience with them. I may start looking at other florists for my personal flowers now. They were supposed to call me back yesterday, and I still haven't heard from them. I understand they're busy, but that's no way to run a business.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_delaware_celebrations-florist?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:77Discussion:72aff4bb-8cac-4c9d-b459-c4696c87bee3Post:17febda5-0e9d-408d-bc2f-35df5552a476">Re: Celebrations Florist</a>:
    [QUOTE]They were supposed to call me back yesterday, and I still haven't heard from them. I understand they're busy, but that's no way to run a business.
    Posted by MarinoRabeno[/QUOTE]

That right there is what it boils down to.

I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend checking out Belak's; Barb is my favorite vendor, hands down.  Her prices are decent, work is high quality excellent, very professional, knows her stuff, and isn't bothered by a million changes to your order (trust me, I know).  MiguelHilary used her a few weeks ago for her wedding and loved her, as did Tonysgurl for her wedding last year.  I really can't wait to see my personal flowers on the day of.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No problem.  It is no way to run a business and the way you are being treated now is very accurate to how they will treat you in the long run.  Ask your venue if you get a centerpiece credit if you use another florist.  Our venue did allow this and our florist worked with that credit.  What was so called included by celebrations for centerpieces was not a whole lot to say the least.   The included centerpieces we were showed were small and sparse IMO.  If your budget for flowers is the similar to the celebration check out flowers by Yukie.  If you want more bang for your buck but still a great product check out Belak flowers as mentioned and Breger flowers in north wilmington. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    @SuzyQ What is your venue and what is the full name of the florist?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I saw your post about Celebrations. We went to look at them for bridal party flowers because we had heard such great things about them. There were slightly expensive for bridal party flowers so we went else where, however if we could of used them for our centerpieces we would of. There work was fabulous! As for setting up an appointment too early, I know that you are anxious I did the same thing, however my florist told me it's also hard to set up appts that early because the flowers change. First if you are getting married in June and try to make an appt now, Fall flowers are in, summer flowers are out. So you wont be able to see what you want exactly too. Plus I was told that since flowers are majorly affected by weather, if you picked out tulips then tulips are hit hard with the weather, the price skyrockets and you are left BROKE or disappointed that you cannot get them. I hope that helps explain it.. It helped me when they explained it to me. I am getting married in November, I met with the florist for centerpieces in May.. Trial will be in October... I hope that helps!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you are looking for a personal florist, I am using Alfred's of Philadelphia. Ellen was a fabulous women to work with, she is in the Delaware County area, about 15min drive from Celebrations office. I live right near there office... Ellen's information is in my bio... as is my mock up for my bridesmaid bouquets, which I met with her last night to see.  After researching many florists, she was by far the cheapest yet best quality.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards