Delaware
Options

To be married in DE by out of state, ordained-online officiant...experience anyone?

We are getting married in Delaware and would like for our friend who lives in North Carolina to officiate. He is going to get ordained online (probably through the Universal Life Church). Does anyone from Delaware have any experience with a similar situation - involving either an out of state officiant or an officiant ordained online (or ideally both)? Are there any special procedures that we/he needs to do prior to the ceremony? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: To be married in DE by out of state, ordained-online officiant...experience anyone?

• Options
    Not sure of the rules in DE, but if you have a problem and can't do it, you could always have your ceremony in PA.  In PA you can have anyone marry you.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestion VJones1981! I don't think that would work for us though since we already paid the money for the ceremony site in Delaware. I think I'll give the county clerk of peace office a call Monday. Thanks though!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My fiance and I are getting married in DE this fall (we're both residents). Im currently looking into local officiants and all the procedures, but not really getting any answers. If you do call the Clerk of Peace, please let us know any needed information you receive! It would be greatly appreciated!

Congrats on your wedding and best of luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    IF you need an officiant in DE (non religious) you can also call the Justice of the Peace Courts and they are able to marry also.  I had a JP Judge perform our ceremony in Sept 2011 and it was very nice.  Let me know if you need any further info on this also.  I may be able to help further depending on which county you are planning in.

10/25/08 First Date 07/04/10 Engaged 09/10/11 Say I DO! Anniversary
  • Options
    We are in the same situation, our officiant is from md. They told me its fine as long as he is ordained
  • Options
    Hi! Thank you very much for all of your input, offers of help and advice! Today I made a call to the New Castle County Clerk of the Peace office. The woman that I spoke with said that the procedure for New Castle Co., Delaware goes as follows below.
    Hope this helps Photoash and whomever else! Smile

1) Make sure ordained friend gets proof of ordination. 
    - When I asked about this, she said that this is mostly for "just in case" purposes.

2) Get Marriage License with fiance at Clerk of Peace office
    - Do this no more than 30 days prior to ceremony.
    - Must do 72-24 hours before ceremony (depending upon residency).

3) Have all 3 copies of Marriage License signed by ordained friend and 2 witnesses the day before or day of ceremony. 
    - There will be an area on this form where ordained friend will fill in his/her address and phone number, etc. 

4) Get Married!

5) Have person performing ceremony mail in 1 copy of the completed Marriage License to the County Clerk of the Peace office post-ceremony.
    - The person who performed cermony will have their information added to the Delaware database (as written on the Marriage License). 
    - One copy of Marriage License is for newly married couple to keep. One copy is for person performing ceremony to keep. This person must keep this copy for 1 year. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    <div>Hello,</div><div>If you are in need of a licensed/ordained officiant, please call Prestige Event Management Firm at 302.235.3864.  They have quite a few options for DE residents.</div><div>----------------------------------</div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_delaware_to-be-married-in-de-by-out-of-state-ordained-online-officiantexperience-anyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:77Discussion:7523ddb8-7834-4a60-93a9-4ea46d77ef5aPost:8562ccd5-6c43-4d07-9a2c-e1ef922ae09a">To be married in DE by out of state, ordained-online officiant...experience anyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are getting married in Delaware and would like for our friend who lives in North Carolina to officiate. He is going to get ordained online (probably through the Universal Life Church). Does anyone from Delaware have any experience with a similar situation - involving either an out of state officiant or an officiant ordained online (or ideally both)? Are there any special procedures that we/he needs to do prior to the ceremony? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!
    Posted by emiliasuzanna[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    I am ordained non denominational minister tordained by american marriage ministry. I am a public wedding officiant however my price is $100 to $249. Rev G. Allen-Morgan " I Do"
    Wedding Ceremonies. The on line ordiantion is legal the minister will have to pay a fee to obtain creditionals showing that the ordination is valid. any questions I  can be reached at ladyg2u@yahoo.com or 267-259-9524.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards