Delaware

New DE Bride!

I am newly engaged and wanted to introduce myself. My FH proposed on Christmas Eve after early plans were thwarted by mother nature during the blizzard (grr snow). We are both originally from South Jersey so were trying to figure out our way in DE in general not to mention planning a wedding! I have been snooping on this board for a few weeks and after seeing the great advice I feel much better about the planning! I know I will have many questions so thank you in advance I'm sure!

Re: New DE Bride!

• edited December 2011
    Congrats! I am also a South Jersey transplant to DE, though I have been living here 4 1/2 years now.  My FI grew up here, though, so he knows the area much better than me.  One of the pluses to having a wedding here rather than Jersey--no sales tax!
  • edited December 2011
    Congratulations on your engagement and welcome to the DE board!  The board may move a little slow sometimes, but everyone on here is so helpful, and if you ask a question, it will definitely get answered. 

Do you have any details to share about the proposal?  Do you have a date in mind? 

Good luck with your planning!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Hey!  Welcome to the DE board  :)  Congrats on your engagement! 
  • may37may37 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks all!

As for the engagement story there is a little back information that is needed (and I apologize for the length!)

My FH has made me a scrapbook every year for our anniversary and since we've been dating we have had a large holiday party near Christmas every year. The holiday party was supposed to take place on the 19th and all of our family from both sides were planning on attending. Mother Nature had a different plan though. We ended up having to cancel the party and move it to his mother's house on Christmas Day. FH was so distraught over all his planning going to waste that he told me about the whole plan. I knew he was going to propose that day but I wasn't quite sure how. Apparently he made a scrapbook where the first page said "Will You Marry Me" and the center of all the pages was cut out to hold the ring box. He was planning on me recieving the "present" during the polyanna that takes place during the party.

With his plans ruined he then decided to propose on Christmas Eve during my family's traditional Polish dinner. His parents came with us and right after my grandfather gave the dinner speech he propsed!. He said that he wanted me to still be able to celebrate with all my family and then spend Christmas Day with his family during what I refer to as "Holiday Party Take 2".

We have been looking at things for a few months trying to get a jump start on planning and were looking at either Jan. 15, 2011 or July 15, 2011 but after our bad luck with snow we will probably go with July and just plan for a hurricane!

Again I apologize for making it so long!!
  • edited December 2011
    I am also a NJ transplant.  Originally from Mays Landing, now living in DE for 1+ year.  I am still going to get married in NJ though.  I'm finding vendors all over the place (NJ/PA/DE) because so many are willing to travel, and I'm looking for the best vendors within my budget.

Anyways, congrats on the engagement and welcome!
  • Mattsbride10Mattsbride10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome!!!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats on the engagement! I'm from South Jersey myself and I just got engaged in October.
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome!  Donna is right on the money; this board is one of the most helpful boards you will find on this site, hands down.  The girls are honest, helpful, and full of wedding knowledge.

When you are ready to start booking vendors, just start asking about where to go and who to book, and the girls will give you the lowdown on them all (including the good the bad and the uggggly!).  They know all the ins and outs!

My FI proposed to me last year on Christmas Eve, so I know the feelings you are going through!  It's an absolutely ah-mazing feeling, isn't it?  Your story is so sweet; I love to scrapbook and am trying to get FI into it.  I plan on making him one of our relationship for a wedding present, and he also wants me to do all his Boy Scout and Eagle Scout items into a book, as well.  I guess I better get started on those!

July weddings are nice, just prepare for two things in DE during July: Heat and Humidity!  Plan for them, and you will be fine (watch, you plan for it and you will get lucky and there won't be any of either)!

Welcome again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards