Delaware

HELP - desperately seeking a venue

Hi everyone, 
This is my first post and felt encouraged after reading all the helpful hints you ladies have provided on other posts.  I got engaged a week before Thanksgiving and have been venue hunting ever since.  I've looked in the Delaware Beach area (where I spend a lot of my time) and in Wilmington (where I live) and just haven't found the right place just yet.  Here's where I've looked: Nassau Valley Vineyard, Baywood, North Beach, Pizzadili Winery, and Bordeleau Winery.  I've narrowed a lot of things down as well just by getting additional information from venues etc.  Hoping to get married in September or October 2012 and I'd like more of a unique space rather than a country club  or hotel.  I have appointments for Lewes Yacht club and the Stone Barn in Kennett this weekend.  Also trying to get in touch with someone at the carriage house at rockwood to take a look there as well since it looks like something I'd be very interested in.  Any other suggestions for unique venues that aren't over priced?  Appreciate any and all suggestions at this point!  Thank you!

Re: HELP - desperately seeking a venue

• Love Rockwood Carriage house.

My venue is of no help to you, because it was a hotel.  We have a handful of brides here by the beaches, but there is a very nice DE Nestie by the name Beebe... and she lives by the beaches, and got married down there.  I would swing over to the Delaware Nest board and page her. 

As far as different venues in/around Wilmington, have you checked out Longwood Gardens or the Chadds Ford WInery?  I also LOVE Hagley Museum and Winterthur for weddings, but they might be pricey.  Worth at least looking into.
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • It's not in Wilmington, but it's only a few minutes away. North East River Yacht club. I was super impressed with the menu, the pricing, and the view. The entire reception area is windows, facing the river. Which is gorgeous. 
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • u could try the lavendar farm down near milton area...
  • My wedding is going to be at the Rehoboth Bay Sailing marina. I would look into it. Its an amazing space, SO CHEAP, very vintage unique feel to it. It is right at the edge of dewey beach.
  • Not far from the stone barn in Kennett is Loch Nairn Golf Club - where I'm getting married!  I know it sounds like a country club, but the reception venue is a restaurant, not a banquet hall.  The space is very warm, a little rustic, if you're into that kind of thing.  Rebecca, our contact, is also great!
    127image 88image 39imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • ^ I can second Loch Nairn.  I had a friend get married there a few months after we did, and it's GORGEOUS there.  wood beams, very rustic like Katehar said.
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Try the Farmhouse in Wilmington DE. Charming venue, wonderful prices.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We booked Historic Belmont Hall for our wedding.  It's a Georgian mansion built around 1756.  The place was gorgeous and extremely affordable.  They just opened up for weddings and are still doing some renavations.  For larger parties everything would be outside but the garden is lovely.  The site is belmonthall.org.  There aren't that many pics up yet because they are just now opening for rental.  The owners son gets married the weekend before me so I know the place is going to be in perfect shape by next spring.  It's in Smyrna, DE.  It's worth a visit.
  • I would recommend you look at Bear Trap Dunes Golf Course, they have a restaurant called Difebos, and we met with their wedding coordinator Anne a few weeks ago.  Beautiful community, and a very unque ceremony site.  It overlooks the large lawn facing the clubhouse, and offers amphitheatre style brick stadium seating (I've never seen this before).  The reception is partially inside and partially outside with a tent, and the prices are very reasonable.  Furthermore they rent vacation homes right there in the community so you have a place to get ready, and an afterparty spot without having to go anywhere.  We are deciding between this place and Baywood for our May 2013 wedding.

Also suggest Herritage Shores Golf and Country Club in Bridgeville, we went to a wedding there last May and it was gorgeous, their ballroom is very large and very well decorated.  They also offer to cut the prices in half for a Friday or Sunday wedding.  Worth a checkout! 

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards