Nebraska-Omaha
Options

Cake and DJ recommendations?

Does anyone have any good (but affordable) cake recommendations?  We are also looking for DJ recommendations...We have heard that Mark at Bandstand is great but we were not sold on their music list online, however The Sound Machine had a great and extensive music list.  Anyone know much about The Sound Machine or have any other advice on cakes and DJs? Thank you!

Re: Cake and DJ recommendations?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am using a lady name Dorene Sillman and she is out of Alvo, Ne and she actually does real and fake cakes.  We are using her for a fake cake and we are having cupcakes.  For music we are using Master DJ's.  He does a great job....
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Not sure what your definition of affordable is, but I have recently fallen in love with Mollie Graham, who runs Graham's Goodies. she is doing our wedding cake for a verry reasonable price, her cakes are amazing and beautiful!!
  • Options
    ThisIsMelindaThisIsMelinda member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am using Tony Trejo with A Celebration DJ. They are a small business but Tony is a really easy-going guy and will play the music you want and he can get any song you want. I haven't had the wedding yet so I haven't seen his final work but just meeting with him, I like him. And he's affordable compared to other DJ services.--Melinda
  • Options
    HuskerfanzHuskerfanz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used Mark with Bandstand and he was great.  We didn't give him a music list and let him read the crowd and it worked out great.  You could call and talk to him or Bandstand about what you are wanting played, maybe they have more than what's listed.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker
    TTC #1 since 08/11 IUI#2 = BFP!
  • Options
    ayoung22ayoung22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Sarah's post about Mark.  He was wonderful!  We gave him only a few songs as 'must plays' and left the rest up to him.  I would highly recommend him!We used Diane Severson for cake.  Gorgeous and delicious!
  • Options
    tarmar81tarmar81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A lot of DJ companies have more songs than the lists they publish online.  I was a little appalled at Complete Music's lack of good songs until I found out they have a MUCH more extensive list.  They just show what's most popular and more of the recent tunes on their website.  I breathed a huge sigh of relief after that.  We're using James Cloyd with Complete.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am using In Stereo (Spencer Williamson) to DJ, and so far he has really impressed me! He emailed paperwork before I even booked him detailing his business and asking about my preferences. He works an unlimited amount of hours, and he's $500 total for the night. Also, if he doesn't have a particular song (he has over 10,000), he will find it and you don't get charged for it. He is very cool and likes to work behind the scenes... I didn't want someone who would take over the reception, and I think he'll be perfect! I saw him at my friend's wedding, and he was awesome!
  • Options
    lindy.linderlindy.linder member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're going with Mark from Bandstand Music. There were several songs we wanted that were not on their list. They got them for us. We also require Hava Nagila and he said they could get a different copy if we didn't like theirs. He has been super helpful, funny and laid back. I have no doubt our wedding will sound wonderful :)For cake we tried just about every cake place in Omaha. After some initial disappointment that our original choice (Mollie Graham) did some not so great business things we ended up with Upstream Brewery. We were fairly shocked to hear they do wedding cakes but they do! When we tried their standard samples we were blown away. We are having a 4 tier buttercream cake (for approx. 160 people) with some fondont circles added on. We have two layers of a chocolate cake with snickers mouse filling and two layers of almond cake with strawberry filling. All of this including cake stand was around 500. I was so happy. Our cake is elaborate hence the price but that price is pretty phenominal for what we are getting. Chef Grant is a pleasure to work with and really wants you to be perfectly happy.
  • Options
    amandag29amandag29 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lindy - May I ask what Mollie Graham did? I am interested to know... Thanks.
  • Options
    lindy.linderlindy.linder member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Its more what she didn't do. I will preface this with: I probably took this harder as someone who works in customer service and is planning a long distance wedding. Some people might not see this as a big deal.We met with her. Had a tasting. Everyone loved her. She was great. We met with her almost 13 months before our wedding date. Being as I am an out of town bride and had pleanty of time to decide who was doing cake (dude it was over a year away) I told her I would get back to her and for her to let me know if I need to act quickly. So 3 weeks go by (its still over a year out from our wedding date which also happens to be a Sunday so its a non busy wedding day) and I decide ok I have some time I'll ask her to draw up a contract. She emails me back several days later and says she hadn't heard from me and she is now booked for that whole weekend. She thought I went with someone else.I was flabbergasted. I had told her to contact me if something like this was going to happen AND it was still over a year away. Needless to say I was miffed. Its not like that was an unusual request either because Karen Brophy called me and let me know her dates were filling up and if I was interested let her know by X day. I thought it was a crappy business practice but I guess if you're cakes are good enough no one seems to care.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    For cakes, we are using Linda Tills.  Her cakes are 75 cents a slice, whether its the wedding cake or grooms cake, or sheet cake.  her number is 468-5181.  her cakes are delicious.  For DJ, we are using Mark with Bandstand as well. 
    Lesley and Casey I dreamed of a wedding of elaborate elegance, A church filled with family and friends. I asked him what kind of a wedding he wished for, He said one that would make me his wife. ~Author Unknown
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards