Nebraska-Omaha

Game on my wedding day!

We obviously didnt think ahead..Huskers play Texas Tech on our wedding day and the time still hasnt been announced. our wedding is at 630 so maybe ill get lucky and it will be a morning/afternoon game. If not, should we have it playing at the reception??

Re: Game on my wedding day!

• mikenjess113mikenjess113 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am having the same problem for our wedding next Oct.  I wanted to have it playing because I iknow how big the Huskers are to my family but my mom quickly vetoed that.  Really its just personal preference.  The people may be more concerned with the game.  Of course the ones that you really want there are really care about you will not but you will just have to be ready for that.  Also people not possibly coming because of the game.  These are just all things I have had to think about.  HTH
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    it sucks! and its a home game to top it off!
  • edited December 2011
    That does suck.  With all the blackberries and technology I'm sure people can at least check the score throughout the night if they overlap.  I definitely wouldn't want it to take away from your reception if you played it.  Haha, maybe you could have the DJ announce some scores or something.
  • ayoung22ayoung22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am a huge Husker football fan, but I don't think it should be shown at a wedding reception.  It would take away from the celebration of your wedding.  Just my two cents :)
  • edited December 2011
    i agree totally!! if the game is more important to you that coming to my wedding, then dont come! having the dj annouce the score is a pretty good idea though! thanks :)
  • edited December 2011
    Actually I will have to disagree. I have been to 3 wedding now with the husker game playing. No it was not tacky at all. My FI and others wanted to leave one reception early to catch the rest of the game but the people in the bar had it on so all the guys ( wedding party and all) were standing in the bar. This is why we had our wedding the on weekend the huskers were not playing. Yeah kinda crazy when your a huge husker fan!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    yeah i wish i would have thought of that when we picked our date! i didnt even think to check for a game. silly me.
  • edited December 2011
    Hopefully it will be early and people can focus on the main event for the day...THE NEWLYWEDS!
  • ThisIsMelindaThisIsMelinda member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Look, I know people around here really like the Huskers but if you're going to blow off someone's wedding for a game that is just crap. (someone close to you at least)Watching the game is not going to change the outcome. Unless you personally really want to see the Husker game that day, don't air it at the wedding. You should be the focus of the day, not football.
  • lisa5556817lisa5556817 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think I would show it either..I do like the idea mentioned above about the dj announcing the score throughout the night.
  • edited December 2011
    I think it should depend on your preference.  If you are a fan and would want to have a glimpse or two at the game then maybe you play it, if however you are not a huge fan yourself I say you should not play it.  I am not a big enough fan of any sport to miss a friends wedding.  Even my FI who is a huge Texas fan said if he still lived in Texas and had tickets if he was invited to a friends wedding he would sell the tickets and check the score on his phone.  I went to a friends wedding who was a huge Cubs fan and they were in the playoffs or something like that and they just announced the score after every few innings.  You might want to have them announce the score at half time and the end.  Just a couple thought, hope this helps.
  • edited December 2011
    This is why my fiance blocked August to January when we were planning our wedding date.  He's a huge Husker fan.  He still teases his cousin about having her wedding on the same day as a season opener game.  But like others have said, the ones that care will make it a point to be there & check the score if they want...but its your preference to have it playing during the reception. 
    Lesley and Casey I dreamed of a wedding of elaborate elegance, A church filled with family and friends. I asked him what kind of a wedding he wished for, He said one that would make me his wife. ~Author Unknown
  • tarmar81tarmar81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got married on September 5th of this year.  Yes, we got married on a Husker season opener.  And only about three people didn't come because of the game.  Everyone knows the opening game is rarely a nailbiter... Anyway, we are huge Husker fans (so don't ask how w ended up with a date of 9.5) but what we chose to do was have our DJ announce the score periodically.  We also had a red and white wedding (but with lots of colorful flowers) to bring some Husker elements into it. On the other hand, if this had been a BIG game, our outcome may have been different, so a Texas Tech home game during a wedding is kind of tough.  Like pp have said though, people who care will be there and won't worry about the game.  I'd choose to embrace the game though. Have the DJ announcing scores or plays, and see if it can be shown on a very small TV in another room.  (If it's on a big one, it's going to detract from your reception.)Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! you've been a huge help!
  • edited December 2011
    I know how you feel. Ours is on the same day as the Oklahoma home game. We chose our date because it was the soonest date our church had available and my FFIL is terminally ill. People have been pretty understanding of our date choice once they hear the reasoning behind it, but I am still struggling with the same issue of playing the game or not. We are pretty big fans, and it's a big game, so I think we probably will try to have it on somewhere.
  • jnesibajnesiba member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi sammyjo!My date is the same as yours (October 17!!), can you believe it is almost here?My fiance was very against having the wedding the same day as a Husker game, but in the end we chose the time that worked best for us.  So it is the same day as the Texas Tech game, but so what?  We know that the people we really want to be there will be at the wedding and not the game.We just watched the game together yesterday (such a heartbreaking loss!!), and we came up with some things we wanted to do because we are Husker fans, as are our many of our guests.1.  Have the DJ update the score if it is a night game.2.  Play the Husker fight song!  I was at my cousin's wedding a few weeks ago on opening weekend, and everyone really enjoyed clapping along and cheering!3.  Play the Bo Pelini polka!  I was at Husker Houndz yesterday, and this song came on.  It is hilarious!  Our crowd really enjoys polka-ing, so this will be a great addition to our dance.  I've just got to find the song now...4.  Have a Huskers grooms cake with some pictures of us as Husker fans throughout the years.Good luck with everything!
  • tarmar81tarmar81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually did all of the above as the pp (except the Bo Pelini polka!)  We played Hail Varsity during the Garter toss (and of course I had Husker garters) and we were announced to the Tunnel Walk song "Sirius." We also had red football shaped sugar cookies.  The Huskers theme didn't overtake the wedding, we just had a lot of fun little accents everywhere!  Hope those ideas help!
  • edited December 2011
    i didnt even think about the tunnel song! that would be a fun entrance! jnesiba..I cant believe its so soon!! i just had my bridal shower yesterday and it still hasnt really hit me that im going to be someones wife! probably wont until i wake up that morning! im so worried that im going to be so nervous and my stomach will be flip floppin and ill just throw up! haha good luck on your day!! i wish you the best!
  • rotellarotella member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally would not show the game at my wedding reception. Then people drink more, cheer, scream, it would just be annoying. Having the DJ announce the score is a great idea. And everyone now a days has internet on their phone and can check updates and scores all night if they want. The game should not be more important to your guests than celebrating your wedding day with you.
    **LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE**

Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!

Buying A Home

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards