Nebraska-Omaha
Options

Need some help please

I don't know where to begin and hopefully I won't ramble too much. I need to find a place to get married sometime between Feb 27th and Mar 27th. I don't want it to be some room in a courthouse and I don't want it to cost an arm and a leg. Doesn't have to be big, a place to hold 50 people or less. I know I am probably asking for something that may not even be possible but hey you don't know til you ask right?

A quick background...we found out in Dec. we were pregnant, got on Medicaid first of the year but now with the changes to Medicaid they won't cover services for an unborn child after Mar. 1st. I don't have insurance through my job and to try and am having problems trying to find coverage since I am already pregnant. So we are probably going to have to bite the bullet and get married now (not what I want, I'd be missing the opportunity for my dream wedding but I already messed that up I guess).

Anyway, sorry to ramble on and leave such a crazy story. Thanks in advance if you have input to share.

Re: Need some help please

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Try the Big Red Barn in Bennington. I think it is $800 to rent, but has all the table and chairs included, and  you can bring in whatever food/alcohol. Pretty nice!

Or the Omaha Firehall off of 60th and Interstate, I think only $500 to rent, can cater in own food, but have to use their bartenders
  • Options
    KingCherylKingCheryl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try Lucile's in The Old Market
  • Options
    HuskerfanzHuskerfanz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    www.tinyurl.com/halllist

Hope that helps! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker
    TTC #1 since 08/11 IUI#2 = BFP!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A Merry Occasion on 32nd and Harney.  Runs like 100/hr during the week.  More on the weekend but it may work for you.
  • Options
    kmg977kmg977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Consider just renting out a private room in a nice restaurant and doing drinks and appetizers. It will keep the cost down, and everyone can mingle and have fun.  I have known people that have done this, and it was fun!  They didn't have a dance, but it was still a great time, they played a slide show of pics, and had some traditional speeches.  Restaurants that would work with you and have great private rooms are Spezia Italian Restaurant (just N of 72nd and Grover) and Upstream (downtown or out west).  Good luck!! : )
  • Options
    kellymaryannekellymaryanne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try Myth in Old Market. It's a bar, but it is VERY cute and stylish. My friend planned a wedding in one week. She called the bar and rented it for a few hours on a friday night. She got ready upstairs at the hair salon (can't remember the name). She walked down the staircase and met her groom in front of the big window. It was SO cute and very personal. They had about 30 guests, open bar, appetizers. They even had a small cake and champagne toast. She found her officiant off of craigslist. The officiant was awesome. Then they went out downtown for pictures afterward. I hope this helps!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Bellevue Berry farm has smaller rooms to rent and you just pay the per person cater fee to use their place..you can have the ceremony there and the reception for one small price..also Idk if your really in a bind why not rent a community center room and do a pot luck? Just an idea but you can have your family and friends pitch in and each bring a dish. For easy centerpiece ideas dollar tree has oversized really cute wine glasses..fill with colorful beads and some water then just have a floating carnation in each..carnations are a dollar at most local grocery stores..then you can have petals going down the center of the tables with perhaps some small tea lights in between.

There is alot to do with every budget..you just have to be willing to do it and cut corners and work with what you have.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Need some help please:
    [QUOTE.also Idk if your really in a bind why not rent a community center room and do a pot luck? Just an idea but you can have your family and friends pitch in and each bring a dish.
    Posted by Scorpiogrrrrl[/QUOTE]

Please do not do a potluck.  If you don't want to serve a full meal you can do a cake and punch reception or something similar.  There are so many things wrong with doing a potluck for a wedding reception.  One, that is rude to ask your guests to bring food when the point of the reception is to receive your guests.  Two, the guests could have allergies and you have no control over what the guest could bring.  Three, how would out of town guests transport the food? 

http://tinyurl.com/yz35fsj

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Families and friends are there to help you celebrate your day. Its about celebrating your union and sharing the special day.It doesnt matter WHAT your eating, WHERE it came from and WHERE the location is. It will be a special day regardless. If allergies are concern just as you would ask the caterers to avoid certain things I would ask the family members to help out in the same way. Out of town guests can possibly help pick up some already prepared dishes from hyvee or something. Where theres a will theres a way and EVERYONE should be able to have their special day.

NOT everyone is capable or can afford to do a catered wedding and some people want the reception to be longer then having just cake and punch. For some I think they may like that for others they may want more. I think its up to  you as a bride to decide what works best for you and your family and its not up to us to tell you what is right or not right. We are not all the same and can not do the same things. I thik by saying a potluck is bad if there were brides on here that are by chance doing that they may not be so happy right now reading that response. I think you should do what YOU want to do! Happy planning and good luck with your new little one!

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think your "special day" should be at the expense of your guests.  If you want the reception to be longer than cake and punch, then you can do other things to make it happen (postpone the wedding to save money, cut the guest list, cut other areas of the budget, etc). 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for all the great tips, I really appreciate them. After much thought and alot of phone calls we are going to get married in the small town in central Iowa where I grew up. Things are surprisingly cheap and we are keeping it relatively small with our families and a few close friends.

Thanks again to everyone who shared their ideas with me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Good for you! So happy you fnd something that would work for you! =0)
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sounds like a good plan!  Hope it works out well for you and your FI!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards