Iowa-Des Moines
Options

invitation wording

Here is what we've chosen for our invitation wording.  What do you ladies think?  If everyone brings their kids that would add 50 people, which would put us over our seating capacity.  So we added the part at the bottom.  Hopefully nobody will be offended.  The spacing is a little off trying to paste it, but you get the idea. Love was meant to be shared with parents, family, and friends Mr. and Mrs. xxxx and xxxx xxxx And Mr. and Mrs. xxx and xxx xxx Request the pleasure of your company At the marriage of their children Melissa Nicole To John Albert Saturday, the seventeenth of October 2009 At four-thirty in the afternoon Simpson Barn 6169 Northglenn Drive Johnston, IA Outdoor ceremony please dress appropriately Reception to follow Due to space limitations, Adults only preferred

Re: invitation wording

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would right out 2009, unless you have space constraints on the paper. Maybe, "due to limited seating, adults only preferred (or requested)". Just an idea. I really like the Love was meant to be shared. GL
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Instead of explicitly stating a dress code (of sorts) it might be nice to word it something like:On the lawn of the Simpson Barn<address> etc.That way you imply that it's outdoors, without telling adults how to dress.  And I would also take off the adults only line - only address the invites to the adults.  Or if you're really worried about it, you could write or print in the names onto the RSVP card, to really make it obvious who is or is not invited.  And if people RSVP for Little Johnny, too, you'll have to call and let them know that it's adults-only.  I also love the "Love is meant to be shared"  What a great line! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  I really like the "on the lawn of" idea, and the due to limited seating wording.  I would leave the adults only off completely if it was just an issue of us not liking kids, but since it will really cause a problem if we run out of seating, I think we're going to leave it on.  I don't want to offend anyone, but I also don't want to make someone stand to eat either. Guess that's a lesson learned for those newly engaged, to make sure your guest list is firm before you book your reception venue.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Guess that's a lesson learned for those newly engaged, to make sure your guest list is firm before you book your reception venue.Yeah.  Or, don't let your FMIL get her hands on the guest list after the venues are booked and you think the guest list is finished.  Here's hoping everyone will fit into the ceremony space we want....  but at least we have another space we can move to if need be!  :-)  GL with getting the invites done - it feel great to get them out the door!! 
  • Options
    EJPintEJPint member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely leave off the "adults only" part - MOST people (and hopefully you have an idea who the exclusions to MOST would be on your guest list:)) understand that an invitation is meant for those who it is addressed to, and if it doesn't say "and family" or list childrens' names, they are not invited.If you're worried about people not getting the message, enlist your maid of honor or mother to help spread the word - i.e calling to chat about the wedding and mentioning, "We've had some people ask about bringing their kids, and it's hard to tell them we just don't have the space for more people!"  I would also leave off "dress appropriately":)  I think people will figure that out from "outdoor ceremony" - have fun!!!
    Natural m/c 8/31/12 at 11 wks BFP #2 - Due August 16!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What if we took the "adults only" line off the invitation and put it on the RSVP card instead?  I know people should get the point if we don't address the invitations to "and family," but I know some people will just bring them anyways.  I also think it will be more ackward to call people after the RSVPs come back in and tell people they can't bring their kids after the fact than to just be upfront about it in the first place.   
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Or my mom just had the idea of putting this on the RSVP card: Due to seating limitations, we have reserved two seats in your honor.  Do you think that would be strong enough wording, without specifically saying "adults only"?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I like your Mom's idea about the # of seats reserved in their honor. If you simply address the invite to the couple and not "and family", then note # of seats on the RSVP, you should be fine.
  • Options
    BabyRN2006BabyRN2006 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree, I think your mom's idea would work best
    TTC #1 since Sept '09 Dx: Severe MFI/Azoo
    IVF w/ICSI - 15R, 12M, 10F - transferred 2; froze 3
    Beta #1 150 Beta #2 320
    7/16 124 bpm (6w5d) 7/31 168 bpm (8w6d) 8/22 170 bpm (12w)
    EDD 3/6/13
    Our team green baby was a girl! Emma Lynn born 2/23/13
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my read shelf:
    Janelle's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards