Iowa-Des Moines
Options

HELP! I need some advice!

We've been struggling to find a very affordable, non-church ceremony venue that suits our tastes. We finally decided to give in a little and contacted the Unitarian Church on Bell Ave... Who can only host our ceremony as late as 3pm. We'd like our reception to begin between 5:30 and 6:00. The church is very close to our reception venue.My question is: what does everyone think about having that much time between the ceremony and reception? What would the guests do? What would WE do?! Does anyone have experience with this?

Re: HELP! I need some advice!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I really don't like large hourly gaps. It especially difficult for guests who have traveled from out of town but are not staying the night. I would suggest either having an earlier reception or a new venue. Are you looking for an outdoor ceremony location or indoor? We could maybe throw out some ideas if we knew what it was you are looking for
    ?imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    bassclrnt2004bassclrnt2004 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are planning on a 3:30 wedding and a 5:30 entrance at the reception. Starting cocktails at 5. My photographer told use plan for an hour of pictures afterwards. It also depends on how long your ceremony will be. Protestant ceremonies last about 30 minutes, but Catholics last 1hour. Justice of the Peace can take as quick as 20 minutes. Know your legnth of ceremony & photos before setting a time of the reception is my sugesstion.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    our short wedding will start at 4:30 and the reception will be at 6:30.  only family will be at the ceremony (C & R are both on our farm) so we will have simple snacks for them, and since my dad and i r entering on a horse and carriage there will be time for guests to have a short carriage ride, which is something that there was never time for guests or the bridal party to do at my sister's weddings.  shhh... mike doesn't even know about the carriage; only my family does cuz they've witnessed it 2 other times.  i'm also thinking about having some games (like bocce ball and checkers with gourds).  aslo, some people have coctail hour.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards