Iowa-Des Moines

Where did you get your cake?

I was wondering who people went to for their wedding cake. I'm looking for quality cake without having to pay a lot per slice. We are thinking about doing a small cake for us to cut (2-3 tier mini-cake) and then either cupcakes or sheet cakes for our guests. We live in Ames but I'd be willing to go as far as Des Moines to check out bakers. If anyone has any suggestions, advice, or "DON'T ORDER YOU CAKE FROM THEM" thoughts, I'd love to hear them!
Thanks!
image 31 Total invites!
image 21 Are ready for a good time! image 7 Are sorry to miss the fun! image 3 Are making me crazy!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Where did you get your cake?

• edited December 2011
    We are getting our cake from the East Hyvee in Ames.  I'm not sure how much we are paying per slice-I can't remember.  Don't even try and go to the West Hyvee-they don't do a very good job.  I think the Dutch Oven Bakery would be good.  Hope this helps out!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • EJPintEJPint member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're getting ours from Amy Hansen, "Goodies from the Heart" - our reception site recommended her, and we're paying $350 for a 4-tier cake with 200 slices.

The tastiest place we tried was Carefree Patisserie out of Valley Junction, but they were a good bit more expensive, probably the most expensive place we tried.
    Natural m/c 8/31/12 at 11 wks BFP #2 - Due August 16!
  • ltykaltyka member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're getting ours from Carefree Patisserie.  We'll have a medium cake, and then cupcakes.  They're really easy to work with and very creative and enthusiastic.  I think they're a little on the expensive side - but the cake is REALLY important to me!!  : )
  • edited December 2011
    We're getting ours through Rachel Urban, of Urban Creations.  She's a school teacher who makes wedding cakes on the side out of her home in Ankeny, but she does a great job.  Very professional, and her cakes taste great...plus they're not too pricy!  We're getting a cake for about 180 give or take, for about $350, so it's only about $2.00 a slice!  She is willing to work with you on whatever creative ideas you might have and her raspberry filling is amazing!  Her email is trurban@mchsi.com or 515-289-0470.
  • edited December 2011
    We got our cake from Carefree Patisserie and were very pleased. I didn't think it was too expensive. We had a 3 tier cake, a 2 tier cake, and 24 dozen cupcakes for around a thousand bucks...
  • SuzieBlevsSuzieBlevs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We are thinking about using Iowa Rent a Cake. I believe she's up by Ames because she wanted to meet me in Ankeny (I live in Des Moines). What they do is they have cakes that you can personalize and they're beautiful! There's a special compartment in the back of the cake where you do your cutting of the cake and the rest of the cake is fake. Then you just get sheet cakes from her.
    I think it's a great idea. I wanted a big pretty cake but didn't want to pay for it. So this is the next best thing for me!
    http://iowarentacake.com/rent-a-cake.html

• Lemons653Lemons653 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got ours from Heather Friedrichson (Cake Me I'm Yours) in Perry.  We had a 3 layer centerpiece, groom's, and 2 half sheet cakes.  She was awesome, not expensive, and the cake was yummy!
  • lizrolinglizroling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are getting ours from Echo's cookies and cakes. She is a good family friend- she doesn't have too much on her website, but don't let that scare you away! Her stuff is high quality and absolutely DELICIOUS! Not to mention she is great to work with. Good luck!
  • aba7923aba7923 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We also got ours from Iowa Rent a Cake.  We are doing a 3-tiered cake and sheet cake to feed about $300.  Total cost will be right around $475. The tiered cake itself is $125.  We did our cake tasting a couple months ago and loved the cake and frosting!!!  She is actually located out of Mingo.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I will be checking these places out!
    image 31 Total invites!
    image 21 Are ready for a good time! image 7 Are sorry to miss the fun! image 3 Are making me crazy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • krysh2302krysh2302 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For us, the cake wasn't super super important, but I stil wanted some professional and tasty ( I have a huge sweet tooth :)

We went with Andrea Crouse, Cakes by Andrea out of Nevada. We are paying about 250 bucks for over 100 slices, which I didn't think was too bad.

She's very easy to work with, and super nice.

rousead@hotmail.com
  • edited December 2011
    I'm thinking of Cakes by Andrea for mine too since I live in the Ames area as well. She looks reasonable, but I haven't met with her yet!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards