Iowa-Des Moines
Options

CAKES!!

Any reccomendations for cakes? ( I hate cake...but FI insists that we still have one for him and the guests) Reasonably priced? TIA!

Re: CAKES!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We are not a fan of cakes either, but FI mom wants one :-)

We are using Jaarsma Bakery in Pella, IA!  Great prices--nothing fancy, but we wanted simple!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    indulgent moments in Altoona.  Tom does them out of his home and they are awesome!!! The best part is they are super affordable.  Much more so than many of the places you find around here. 
    http://indulgentmoments.com/
    Anniversary
  • Options
    medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you want just sheet cakes and a smaller "fancy" cake to cut, Hyvee is pretty good.

But for sheet cakes, I'd go with Costco. They are AMAZING!!!
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ooo, thanks for the post - I was going to call HyVee today about cakes. I've heard about that Indulgent Moments too. I guess I will be doing some research soon!
    I'm fine with sheet cakes too if it's cheaper. My fiance's mom offered to make the cake, which yes will be cheaper, but mainly it would be a logistical nightmare I'm sure to transport the cake and everything. And this is one of the fun parts right - trying out different bakeries and taste testing cake! I want all these normal wedding things - it's our wedding!!
    Well, that got to be a long post - I just was thinking about cake today too! Let us know what you found out!
  • Options
    ToBeMrs2011ToBeMrs2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're just now starting to research cake ideas & costs too.  We're doing a small, maybe 2-tier cake to cut, very simple and then have sheet cakes for the guests. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are having Tom with Indulgent Moments do a smaller 3 tier round cake and then sheet cakes.  It does save a ton of money, and his prices are really great for them for 3 tier round cake and 2 half sheet cakes (all in different flavors) we are only spending about $325, which is a lot better than the $500 plus I saw for a lot of places.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Iowarentacake.com!

This is what we're doing and I'm in love with the idea! We wanted something reasonably priced and someone else on the knot had posted about this! You rent the cake from her and it's stirofoam and covered in fondant and you have a real piece of your cake inserted in the back so in front of your guests it actually looks like you "Cut the cake" and then you wheel the cake away and come out with all the pieces of the cake cut up for everyone (you buy the sheetcakes from her too) Shelly's so nice and the cakes are amazing! They're the best tasting cakes we've tried and I think the ideas so cool!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have a cake recommendation for you.  It Takes the Cake, www.cakeartbyjenn.com is an absolutely wonderful cake baker in the area.  Just about the lowest prices around also.  Moist, delicious, mouthwatering, and beautiful cakes.  They also offer free tastings.  You should definitely check it out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards