Iowa-Des Moines

Simpson Barn - Reviews?

Has anyone had their wedding/reception at the Simpson Barn in Johnston?  I haven't had the chance to look at it yet, but the online pictures look perfect.

We went to see The Flynn Barn at Living History Farms and my fiance said no way.  It was a true barn, dusty with bird droppings on the beams and he is a complete neat/clean freak.

How is the Simpson Barn?  What are the floors like?  Are there restrooms closeby?

Any reviews would be appreciated.  I really want the barn feel but maybe without the true barn stuff that goes with it.

Re: Simpson Barn - Reviews?

• edited December 2011
    Our wedding is at the Simpson Barn on September 18th! Our ceremony is inside, I'm dividing the space up with pipe and drape so that I can have the tables set up behind them. After the ceremony, we'll go outside for cocktais while the room is switched, then back inside for hor'dourve, desserts and dancing. The wedding doesn't start til 7:00. I love the barn, the floors are wood and not really smooth. It isn't airconditioned upstairs, it is downstairs. The kitchen, restrooms and a smaller room are down there. The restrooms are really cute!

There aren't bird dropping or anything like that in the barn. The geese are always near though, because of the pond and open space around it.

You can have any caterer you want, they only allow champagne, wine and beer. Which isn't all bad, it keeps your licquor cost under control.

If you have any other questions, just ask me!
  • ToBeMrs2011ToBeMrs2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @ziasss

If you don't mind me asking, how many people are you expecting to attend your wedding.  

We are currently looking at reception sites and have thought having a barn would be ideal...we're expecting approximately 250 people (big families).  Our wedding will be at a church so we wouldn't need to split the space.   We're having trouble finding the right reception site.  We either feel like people might be too cramped, or the space doesn't have any outdoor space connected like a patio or balcony.   

Just wondering your thoughts.  Thanks! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

We're having right around 100 people, and I think we'll be fine. They say it holds more than that but a friends daughter got married at the barn last year, with about 180...and they were cramped in there.

250 would be over load I think! I'll post pictures afterwards, then you can see.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards