Iowa-Des Moines

Raccoon River Nature Lodge

Hi all! Well, we haven't made any decisions yet, but we are considering the Raccoon River Nature Lodge for our wedding ceremony! I think it's really pretty. We're not religious and don't belong to any church so that limits our options right away; I wouldn't mind an outdoor wedding, but this is Iowa so I know it would worry me. So hopefully this works out! Has anyone used them for an event?

Re: Raccoon River Nature Lodge

• medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went to a wedding there this past month, and it was beautiful!!! Nice simple and the windows frame the lake! I bet you could even setup the deck outside if you were having an earlier reception.

I would call right now to make sure it isn't booked, I called the day after it was a year out and the date I wanted was already booked! So don't wait too long to make a decision!!
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • edited December 2011
    The date I want IS in fact available!! Yeah! Thanks for the post! It's good to hear you had a good experience there. I think it's really pretty :)
  • xandxheartsxxandxheartsx member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had my wedding there a month ago. It was wonderful, the people there are so nice and easy to work with. You can do so much there and you CAN set up the deck. If you're wedding is in the winter you can even use the fireplace. The lights dim to whatever level you want and you can set up DJ equipment as well.
  • edited December 2011
    xandxheartsx - Congratulations on your recent wedding!! I'm pretty excited at the Nature Lodge possibility! So, I don't know if I checked it out much - is the fireplace just an electric fireplace? I thought about the possibility of putting candles in it.... maybe that's not doable.
    Also, do you have any pictures of your wedding that you could share? I'd love to see the Lodge 'in action' and set up for a wedding. Thanks!
  • xandxheartsxxandxheartsx member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do, but it seems theknot won't let me upload them! If you really want to see them, send me your email address and I will get 'em over to you!
  • ToBeMrs2011ToBeMrs2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I loved the idea of RRNL!  I think it's a beautiful location and have heard so many great things about it.  The only thing that stopped us from looking into it further is that I read on their website about the no smoking policy.  I can completely understand an indoor smoking policy but from what I remember their policy included no smoking outdoors either.  

I am not a smoker but my fiance is (trying to get him to quit!) and there are several family members on both sides who are.  So we decided that probably wouldn't work for us.  

I hope everything works out for you!  It's an amazing location!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards