Iowa-Des Moines

A better week after a crappy 2 weeks prior....

Ok so 2 weeks ago my grandfather passed away from a lot of medical complications.  My mom was next of kin and grandpa lives in AK (we are in IA) so we had to drive down there.  On our way down we stopped in Joplin at my other grandma's house, stayed the night, went to Little Rock to plan funeral etc, came back a few days later and stayed in Joplin last Friday night, left Saturday to come back to Iowa.

The next day we get a call from my grandma that she lost her house in the tornado.  To top all the emotions I was already feeling the tornado in Joplin and hearing about my grandma's house brought back memories of exactly 3 years ago yesterday when half my home town of Parkersburg IA, including my house and my parents house were destroyed in a tornado.

Ok so on top of all the above crap I had also lost my job 10 months ago and have not been able to find another job.  I've had interviews but no offers.

Until WEDNESDAY!  So I got a job offer (it's a temp job filling in for another nurse while she is on maternity leave but hey it gets me out of the house, making money and my foot in the door at this company) and then yesterday I also met with my florist and my flowers are going to be cheaper than I was originally thinking!

Halleluia, good things do come for those who are patient and keep a positive attitude!

As for my grandma we are having a family meeting this week in NE where my family is originally from and it's also the halfway point for most (we're in IA, 2 brothers are in NE and another brother is in CO).  We're trying to convince my grandma to move but the stubborn german she is won't budge from her "house" (or what's left of it).
Anniversary

Re: A better week after a crappy 2 weeks prior....

• medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm glad things seem to be looking up. I hope your grandma take your advice a moves with family! Keep us updated, please!
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats on the job!  Hope all works out for your grandmother and your family.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks girls.  My grandma decided to move.  I am glad since there is nothing for her back in Joplin which is very sad to think about.  But she will be closer to family once again and not have to worry about traveling during the winter and bad roads during holidays.  She will still be a state away from us but my other family will take care of her.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Good to hear things are looking up!! 
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Ohhh so sorry to hear about your grandma's house.  At least she is ok though.  And now you won't have to worry about her since she has moved.  Is she living in a nursing home, assisted living, or one of those places? We are kind of going thru that with my grandma.  Congrats on your job!!! Really impress them with your hard work and maybe they will end up having an opening down the line and remember you.  That is what happened with me in my dental assistant job. And glad to hear about your flowers being cheaper. Who did you go with?
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_iowa-des-moines_better-week-after-crappy-2-weeks-prior?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:80Discussion:4d1eaf4a-e2c4-40a9-9396-debb21b762ebPost:5974277a-337e-4269-a9a7-23fdefdc847e">Re: A better week after a crappy 2 weeks prior....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ohhh so sorry to hear about your grandma's house.  At least she is ok though.  And now you won't have to worry about her since she has moved.  Is she living in a nursing home, assisted living, or one of those places? We are kind of going thru that with my grandma.  Congrats on your job!!! Really impress them with your hard work and maybe they will end up having an opening down the line and remember you.  That is what happened with me in my dental assistant job. And glad to hear about your flowers being cheaper. Who did you go with?
    Posted by mlharrison23[/QUOTE]

No she still lives by herself.  So she will buy a new house in our home state of NE.
    I'm very thankful she is ok I cry everytime I read or see the devestation and people who lost their lives.  I just can't believe I happened.

As for my job I plan to work so hard that they fire the nurse I fill in for.  LOL just kidding I'm not that kind of person.  I am a hard worker though.  Fortunately for me I am a very organized person.  The doctors office I used to work for helped me with that.  The doctor I worked for was very eccentric and I swear was like the worst ADHD ever.  I constantly had to try to keep up with him but it made me a really good nurse, very organized, able to multi-task and I swear make others think I was taking crack lol.

I went with Hy-Vee floral for my flowers.  My mom's friends SIL is a florist there.  She was great.  I told her I didn't want traditional wedding flowers but I didn't really know what.  She picked out the best blooms that really represent my personality.  I'm so happy I met with her.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards