Iowa-Des Moines
Options

Vendor Review!

Bella Flora - Church ceremony decorations, reception decorations and flowers:  A+++++++A Special Event DJ:  A++++Laurel C Scott Photographer: B+ Windsor Heights Community and Events Center - Reception location:  A++ for venue B- for service Cupcakes - Margaret McCoy:  A+ Top Hat Party Bus: B- Ceremony Music - Aquarian Duo: A+++++ Ceremony - Saint Francis of Assisi: B Reception Food - Barattas: A+++++++++++Felix and Oscars: Rehearsal dinner: B-Bella Flora - I cannot say enough about Kelly from Bella Flora as she and her staff were simply amazing.  They did all the decorations and floral arrangements at the church and reception.  Her prices were good, but I didn't realize how great it was until we actually saw everything put together.  She is able to take your ideas/dreams and make it beautiful beyond your imagination.  She was also able to work within budgets and was very respectful about doing so.  I highly recommend her! A Special Event DJ - Tim (the owner) is just a pleasure to work with.  He is so relaxed and truly enjoys being apart of people's day.  Their new light display that comes with DJing is really neat and adds to your reception.  Our DJ for the evening even played an extra 40 min past alloted timeframe free of charge because people were having so much fun!  He was also extremely respectful in coming up to my fiance' or I if someone requested a song that he felt might not fit our guidelines (like swear words/inappropriate song) just to verify.  I would highly recommend them as they kept the dance floor crowded all night long!Laurel C Scott - Laurel is starting our her career in photography and although she has a lot to learn, she was still very good.  Photography wasn't something we wanted to pay $3,000 for so Laurel fit us perfectly.  She stayed the entire time (not time limit) and with a Catholic wedding, that was perfect. I haven't seen the pictures yet, but I'm hoping they turn out well.  I was a bit disappointed that she wasn't assertive enough to when taking formal pictures to arranging people or coming up with ideas of more creative pictures/who should be in what photos.Windsor Heights Community and Events Center - The venue is really pretty, not your typical "hotel banquet hall" which is normally just a room.  Glass windows all around and their new high tech equipment is great.  Few things to warn you about:  The assistant who runs the place, Tracy is a bit difficult to work with.  She is very particular about the place and the way it's run... not accommodating at all.  The day of the wedding the 3 "on call" people didn't answer their phones when we were trying to set up the venue and couldn't get it.  My family ended up having to call the Windsor Heights police to unlock the doors because neither her nor the staff would call us back/didn't seem to care.  Also, the place is reserved per hour only which can be a positive or negative.  Nothing is set up for you and you have to do all the clean up (moping/re-stacking all the tables/chairs/etcetera so be prepared to have people to help you.  Also make sure to read the contract thoroughly especially the alcohol policy because it is confusing since you can bring in your own.  Margaret McCoy - I absolutely love cupcakes and we heard about Margaret from another friend's wedding.  Cakes/cupcakes can be extremely expensive and we had even budgeting $600 for it.  Once we saw what Margaret could do, how pretty it was and how great it tasted we couldn't resist going with her.  She does this as a hobby and only charges $200 (delivery, 200 cupcakes, set up, cake topper).  It was great!!!  I know this would have cost us so much more if we went elsewhere. Top Hat Party Bus - For the price, this is was fine.  The owner is a bit of a character to say the least!  I was disappointed that when we had our exit from the church, the bus was parked in the parking lot (not in front) and when driving around she didn't know where Gray's lake was or where our reception was located.  We had to give them directions even though they knew ahead of time where we were going.  But, the transportation served it's purpose!  Aquarian Duo:  This was my splurge and totally worth it.  Kathy and Mary (harpist and flutiest) were beyond my expectations... they played/sang beautifully!  They have a CD so ask for one to listen to their recorded songs.  I would suggest planning your music selection with Kathy early on... she is extremely difficult to get ahold of and doesn't follow through with calling you back when she says she will.  She is extremely nice, but it came down to the wire (3 days before) where she still hadn't given me the songs!  Saint Francis of Assisi:  This is our parish so we knew we wanted to be married here.  It's a very large church and they do have strict rules (it's Catholic, so you can expect otherwise!).  Fr. Bob did a beautiful homily.Barattas - One of the BEST decisions we made!  The food was unbelievable!  The service was outstanding!!!  We had people say that it was the best wedding food they've ever had and you know what?  IT WAS!  The horderves were so so so good!  They have head table service and their staff was extremely professional.  When people went up to the buffet line, they even refolded napkins, straightened silverware and took away dishes before the guests came back with their food.  Their staff asked us numerous times how we were doing and if we needed anything.  They even extended the horderves an extra 40 min to accommodate for guests arriving late.  I am just overjoyed on how well the food and service was.  The main director, Lora was fantastic.  Let us change/add up until 3 days prior and was extremely accommodating to adjusting the contract so we could see where the budget lie.  I could go on and on, but enough said... simply perfect!Felix and Oscars:  I was pretty upset with them when we arrived as they booked us in the wrong room even when we had confirmed our reservation the week of.  There were other people in our section and food/drinks weren't ready to go when we arrived.  I know the manager knew I was upset and he only accommodated us with giving $.50 off the pitchers of beer.  The food was really good and service was fine, (price was great!) but they could have done better. Please feel free to message me if you have any questions as I'd love to give you more feedback/help you with your process.  I did a lot of research before making the decisions to go with these vendors and I'm so impressed with them!

Re: Vendor Review!

• Options
    Do you by any chance have any pictures on how you set up the reception hall?  We're also using Windsor Heights, and I've been debating on how to set it up.

Thanks!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I'm so excited to see what Kelly @ Bella Flora is going to do with my wedding :) She actually referenced your wedding when I met with her today because our reception is the same venue. I was deciding between Divine Flowers and Bella Flora. both meetings went very well and both places seem very skillful with many choices . My estimate came in slightly lower with Divine Flowers BUT I felt more connection with Bella Flora for realizing my vision.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hey!!!

So glad you found my reviews helpful.  You can go to this website:  www.photo.laurelcscott.com/event/2012-Meints
      to see how I decorated.  

I would strongly suggest Kelly from Bella, she is absolutely amazing.  I didn't even know that I had a vision until talking to her and her helping me along.  She and her staff are simply amazing!!  She also has so many great ideas to help stay within your budget too.  I hope you choose her!!

I will stress to the both of you that Tracy from WH had been the most difficult vendor to work with.  When you are paying by hour and on a time crunch and no one answers the phone to unlock the door for 45 min....  It's a problem.  We never got an apology or a call back during the situation.  Ended up calling the police!  I love the venue as it has wonderful character, but working with her has been quite the hassle.  I hope you have a better experience because I truly felt their reputation was tarnished a bit, especially afterwords in not handling it appropriately.

Also note that if you are having the max - 200 guests, it is extremely tight!  We had about 180 and I had to redesign the space to make everything fit.  Let me know if you'd like the diagram sent to you!

Best of luck!!!

Katie  
  • Options
    Pretty Pictures!  Thank you!

I'm hoping we do have a better experience with Tracy, she's nice, but a bit odd.

I figured it would be tight with the max number of people, we're aiming for about 150 though, so we should be ok.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_iowa-des-moines_vendor-review?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:80Discussion:4f1bdebe-1741-41f2-b391-a5e45e446598Post:bf223224-0e2d-4d52-bc86-b5fb3e017702">Re: Vendor Review!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey!!! So glad you found my reviews helpful.  You can go to this website:   <a href="http://www.photo.laurelcscott.com" rel="nofollow">www.photo.laurelcscott.com</a> /event/2012-Meints    to see how I decorated.   I would strongly suggest Kelly from Bella, she is absolutely amazing.  I didn't even know that I had a vision until talking to her and her helping me along.  She and her staff are simply amazing!!  She also has so many great ideas to help stay within your budget too.  I hope you choose her!! I will stress to the both of you that Tracy from WH had been the most difficult vendor to work with.  When you are paying by hour and on a time crunch and no one answers the phone to unlock the door for 45 min....  It's a problem.  We never got an apology or a call back during the situation.  Ended up calling the police!  I love the venue as it has wonderful character, but working with her has been quite the hassle.  I hope you have a better experience because I truly felt their reputation was tarnished a bit, especially afterwords in not handling it appropriately. Also note that if you are having the max - 200 guests, it is extremely tight!  We had about 180 and I had to redesign the space to make everything fit.  Let me know if you'd like the diagram sent to you! Best of luck!!! Katie  
    Posted by kmcillece771[/QUOTE]

<div>i can definitely say that better not happen to me with them becuase if i am paying by the hour i would hold her accountable for that time for sure!! i love the venue though so hopefully she gets her act together by next year. I cannot wait to see what Bella does with my wedding. I had a vision but they seemed to totally get what I am aiming for. i am having them build a structure around the dance floor that they are going to wrap in cloth & drape lots of weepy greenery  then hang some lightng from it :)   </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    cemetreesccemetreesc member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    What timeframe was your reception?? I am trying to determine if I want to try to block some of the light or not with draping or something to create more ambiance with the candles. I just notice it seems pretty bright earlier on. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You can keep the top blinds closed and the bottom ones open to let in some light.  Our reception started at 3:30 (Catholic Wedding) so yes, there was sunlight that came through.  Made it a bit difficult to see the slideshow/sun was in people's eyes through the main doors where there are no blinds.  Just make sure your DJ closes the blinds around the area of your slideshow.  I think you'll be just fine though!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards