Iowa-Des Moines
Options

reception venue

Does anyone know of a reception venue that's reasonably priced and can hold 250+ people?  Thanks!

Re: reception venue

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The Wright Place  in Norwalk, IA is great. Thats where we are using and Janet has been awesome to work with! It includes all of the tables and chairs + a dance floor and risers if you want those. I think the max it holds is 270 people so you should be fine. Its beautiful there!

www.wrightplace-events.com

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure what reasonably priced means to you, but we're using the Events Center West, located next to Billy Joe's in West Des Moines.  It holds up to 300 and after looking all over we found that it was reasonably priced.  The space is $1500 and includes all the tables and chairs.  The woman who coordinates everything is very friendly and there's not a million rules like we've found elsewhere.  We were wanting somewhere we could bring in our own food to save a ton of money, and that is possible in this space.  Anyway, definitely look into it...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    im cheap so im using val lanes! hey who doesnt love bowling and its only 500
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm using the Elwell Center at the Iowa State Fairgrounds.  It's HUGE, and granted, the venue isn't for everyone. We are planning approx. 300 guests and the place is so large I'm still worried about people being too spread out (if there is such a problem!) Bottom line, space is definitely not an issue here.  There are pros and cons, pros--hotel across the street (it's an EconoLodge, so not super nice but is new and gets the job done for guests who are a little too tipsy to drive), allows outside catering (beverage has to be through Campbells, but food is open), it's reasonably priced for the space ($2000, however, the coordinator is very friendly and flexible--we talked her down a bit in price).  Cons--it is at the fairgrounds, so not the place if you're going for a fancy wedding.  I also had to talk myself into renting the place because the atmosphere/character of the inside isn't the most captivating.  Like I said, it's brand new but it's pretty plain so I told myself I just have to get extra creative with the decorating.  They also don't allow open flames or hangings from the walls or ceiling--major bummer...which reminds me, I might have to start a thread on decorating advice/tips/suggestions!

Trying to wrap up this message...I looked at Billy Joe's as well. Definitely worth checking out--it's deceivingly nice on the inside.
  • Options
    Zippy88kZippy88k member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Indianola Pastoral Center is about $1200 and seats comfortably up to 400.
  • Options
    sfrazer11sfrazer11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much, ladies!  Lots of good ideas to look into :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're having ours at the new Ramada Tropics Resort.  The ballroom is 5200 sq. feet.  You can rent all or half of it . 

No banquet room fee if you meet food minimum (and it's low)  Also included for NO CHARGE is the whirlpool suite for the night, hotel limo for an hour, hurricane centerpieces, a few colors for linens, cake cutting, bartender, dance floor, storage of gifts, meeting room in morning for breakfast... and they will help with set up and do all the clean up!

It's a beautiful new banquet room and the hotel is fun for all-waterpark, game room, and 2 bars. 

We're having appetizers, cake, and cocktails for our at home reception following our destination wedding.  They have nice priced meals and options too. 

Good luck planning! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are using the Vittoria Lodge in Ankeny even tho it's close to Des Moines. Very reasonable with full use of the huge kitchen and they have a full bar there. They also supply 2  bartenders in the price. You can have a cash bar or whatever you prefer. John Natalie is great to work with. They just remodeled so you can't hang anything from the walls or ceilling but that's ok. They supply all the tables and chairs too. It's private and out of the way. Price is under $1,000.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards