Iowa-Des Moines

Reception Venues

Hi there.  We are desperately looking for a venue for our reception that will allow us to cater our own food.  We're on a pretty strict budget so that is definitely a factor.  Anywhere in the Des Moines area that you would recommend?  Looking for a wedding date of June 4 of next year...

Re: Reception Venues

• edited December 2011
    Have you checked in to Raccoon River Lodge or Jester Park Lodge? You could also check in to local community centers. Where are you getting married at?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Hi, thanks for your response.  Yes, we've looked at both of those: Raccoon River Lodge can only hold up to 130 people and we will have about 200.  And Jester Park is catered by Christiani's, which we are not too thrilled about.  We haven't looked at community centers though.  Our wedding is at Holy Trinity church in Beaverdale.  Any community centers around that area?
  • edited December 2011
    I wish I knew of somewhere near that area, but I don't. Can you not have a reception at the church? Or maybe its not big enough or you can't have the kind of reception you want there, huh :) Well, I would try and do a search on google or maybe talk to the chamber of commerce or something for Beaverdale to see if they can suggest anything. I know there is a community center in Altoona, but not sure what it is called or what they charge. There is also a pretty big place in Ankeny called Ankeny Lakeside Center that can hold up to 250 people. I think they charge about 350-400 dollars for the whole day. I am sure you can bring in your own food there. I didn't know Jester Park changed their policy to where you have to cater through someone. That's a bummer.
    Good luck on your search though. I know a lot of places book up a year in advance, so hopefully you can figure it out soon!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice.  We will just have to keep looking!  I am going to check into that place in Ankeny though...doesn't hurt to look into everything I can!  Thanks again.
  • edited December 2011
    Check out the Simpson barn in Johnston. It looks like it can fit 200 people and you can pick your caterer. The downside for us was they don't let you have hard liquor, but you can have wine, beer, and champagne.

http://www.cityofjohnston.com/departments/parks/facilityuse.php
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you, I've never heard of that and I will definitely look into it!
  • ToBeMrs2011ToBeMrs2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also came across the Capitol Room, which is in the East Village.  They allow you to bring in your own caterer and they can accommodate up to 275 guests.  

I have no idea what it actually looks like in person, just had run across it and thought I would share. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    The capitol room is pretty but when set up looks really small.  My FI and I went looking there when we first started planning. 

Have you thought about Za-Ga-Zig in Altoona.  That's where my ceremony & reception is being held (THIS SATURDAY).  It holds a lot and you can bring in your own catering.  You do however have to order beer, liquor, etc through them.  And I can tell you right now with over 200 guests its over $2,000 for the rental, tables, chairs, linens, 2 kegs, & police officer. 

Best of luck! 
  • edited December 2011

Yes, we also looked into this but it was just too small for us.  I've been there, though, and it was really pretty.  Thank you for the idea...

• edited December 2011
    I am going to look into the Za-Ga-Zig; I hadn't even thought about that.  Good luck this weekend, let us know how it turns out!
  • krysh2302krysh2302 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have heard good things about the Capitol Room downtown. My future cousin in law used to be the marketing coordinator there.

There is also the Celebrations bar in Cummings. That was one of our finalists, but we actually wanted to pick a venue that did their own catering, so we went with Jester Park.

Good luck!
  • megmarissamegmarissa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Foxboro is supposed to be pretty good...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Foxboro Conference Center
    Scottish Rite - this holds up to 600
    Capitol Room
    Celebration Barn
    Catchlight Studios
    Paige Peterson Studios
    7 Flags Event Center
    Variety of buildings @ the state fairgrounds
    Camp Dodge reception hall
  • saspencer71saspencer71 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How big is Catchlight Studios?  I don't see them online.
  • edited December 2011
    I used to work at Holy Trinity - there's nowhere there to have a reception.

Have you looked at the Windsor Heights Community Center?  It's not too far away from there.

ETA:  that might not be big enough, sorry.

You can look into the Adventureland Inn, maybe?

As far as I'm aware, there's not a whole lot really close to HT
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards