Iowa-Des Moines

Help- Need a wedding cake

Here's the deal- We don't care for cake but would like to have a wedding cake.  We will be serving silver dollar sized chocolate chip cookies, small glasses of milk and amazing cream cheese mints.  I have a picture of a wedding cake design that I love but REFUSE to spend $5/slice for a Des Moines high profile baker.  I would feel different if cake was important to us but it is not.  I am looking for someone that will deliver to downtown Des Moines, create a pretty cake that tastes ok (for those that enjoy eating cake) and charge $1-2 per slice.  Anyone know of someone that can help me???  If they can do cheese cake as well that would be a major plus.  As always thanks for your help-
Seriously- how do people plan weddings without this site?

Re: Help- Need a wedding cake

• edited December 2011
    Our baker was Indulgent Moments in Altoona.  Not only is his cake really delicious, but his prices start at about $2.50 a slice. 

PIB (under "reception") of my cake.  And Indulgent Moments' website (a la 1995, but don't let the website make you skeptical of his delicious cake):  http://www.indulgentmoments.com/
  • edited December 2011
    We are using a great lady in Baxter, Iowa.  She does an amazing job and is very, very resonable.  ($75 for a cake that serves 57 and $7.00 per dozen for decorated cupcakes)  Those prices include delivery, set up, and everything.  The cake tastes amazing and look great.  Her name is Robin Hanson.  I don't have her phone number with me right now because it is at work, but if you would like it just email me at cbeiner@iowatelecom.net.  Also, her full time job is in Altoona so I'm sure coming to downtown Des Moines would not be an issue.
  • edited December 2011
    We used Sweetest Perfections out of Waukee and the cake was GREAT! We did cupcakes and self serve for our guests.

Hy-Vee doesn't do a bad job and would be less expensive than most bakers for a simple cake.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, I would say Hy-Vee.  I personally know one of the bakers at the Ankeny Hy-Vee, and she does a wonderful cake decorating job.  Also, you could always make your own cake if you don't want a lot.  You can freeze cake in the proper containers so that they can be made way ahead of time.
  • edited December 2011
    We're using Rachel Urban with Urban Creations in Ankeny.  She works out of her home, but makes amazing cakes.  She also has some creative ideas, so if you don't know exactly what you're looking for, she can help!  My FI and I are also not huge cake fans, but out of all of the ones we tasted, hers was the best!  Not too sweet, creamy frosting, and her raspberry filling is to die for!!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm a little late, but you could also try Andrea Rouse with Cakes by Andrea. Our cake was about $1.50 a slice, but it's been a long time since we booked with her, rates may have gone up since then. She is out of Nevada but does travel.

rousead@hotmail.com

http://www.cakesbyandrea.blogspot.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards