Iowa-Des Moines

tables vs. lawnchairs

So my FI, and I have been trying to decide between having tables and chairs at the reception or lawnchairs and a few picnic tables.  Guests are already to come dressed casual; only siblings, parents, grandparents, and the MOH and BM will be at the ceremony in the yard.  FYI, I tend to over think thins, which is part of the reason why this is so difficult for me.

Lawnchairs and picnic tables:  Guests would bring their own lawnchairs and the picnic tables would be for those that forget, can't bring, or don't have lawnchairs.  We would have some games outside the barn (reception area) for guests to play and still have a DJ in the barn.  We would really want a fun, casual, atmosphere.  Something in my gut keeps telling me to go with this, but I can't decide for sure myself (it's a very weird feeling and hard to explain).  There would be less to decorate, so I wouldn't miss out on quite as much decorating.  I will be student teaching at the time, so I will be unable to help decorate much.

Tables and chairs:  There would be tables and chair for all guests (or almost all of them).  This would be a little more formal, so I would insist that the the tables look nice (not elegant though).  Also, I don't think games outside would be appropriate then.

Maybe there's a way to combine the tables and chairs with the picnic tables without it looking tacky, but I'm not sure how to make it work.  Any ideas/suggestions?  Has anybody been to a wedding reception where they haven't had the formal tables and chairs?  If so, how did the couple pull it off?

Re: tables vs. lawnchairs

• edited December 2011
    I went to a small, casual, outdoor wedding last year. There were a bunch of fold-up camping chairs situated in the grass for everyone when we arrived. At the end of the ceremony, an announcement was made that these chairs were actually our favors. It was a gift that everyone appreciated and would use again, but the best part was that all of us guests were happy to pack them up and carry them back to our cars, which made for really easy clean up too. I know that doesn't answer your question, but if you could find a bunch of chairs at a good price that look decent, it might give you another option.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards