Iowa-Des Moines

$$ dollar dance $$??

Have you ladies thought about or done the dollar dance?

I am against it and it makes me feel like i'd be begging for money. FI thinks it's a great idea and really wants to do it. What do you ladies think about it?
Anniversary

Re: $$ dollar dance $$??

• edited December 2011
    We aren't doing it mostly because it is an older crowd that will be at our reception.  Although, I'm not sure we would do it no matter what the crowd was.  It doesn't so much bug me that it is asking for money, although that does bug me, it is more that I hate when you go to a reception and there are 500 "special" dances that all the guests have to sit through.  Plus, I feel like if I wanted to give the bride and groom extra money, I would have bought a bigger gift or put money in their card.  I'm with you on this one.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I thought about it and decided not to do it. We have been to weddings that have had them and have enjoyed it, but we are having a very small wedding and it is mostly older family. I just didn't feel right about it. I agree with PP in regards to buying a bigger gift/money in their card. 
    image 31 Total invites!
    image 21 Are ready for a good time! image 7 Are sorry to miss the fun! image 3 Are making me crazy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • McsweetsMcsweets member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have always thought the dollar dance is an awesome way to have "your time" with the bride and groom.  Maybe you can do it different than collecting money to dance?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    We did one and I thought it was fun. I liked being able to talk to some of the guests there one-on-one, even if only for a few minutes.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • MaggieandJakeMaggieandJake member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we did do one-we find them fun in our group of friends-and a great way to see people 1 on one.  My feeling is that if anyone doesn't want to participate they are in no way obliged.  I just recommend you keep the time limit short.  We did only 3 short songs, but so many people were still in line after the 3 were up that we did 1 more.   One compromise could be to donate the money made to your favorite charity so that it doesn't seem like you're asking for money for yourselves. 
    "All that I'm after is a lifetime of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you"
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
    Photobucket
    My Crafting Blog
    Married Bio
  • milesbellamilesbella member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think they used to be the big thing but couples are getting away from doing it.  Most of the weddings I've attended have had the dollar dance, until the last year or two (and lately, I haven't seen it done at all).  I understand that it gives everyone the chance to dance with the bride and groom, but as a guest, I don't like sitting there through 3, 4 or more songs, waiting for everyone to get their dance.
  • medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_iowa-des-moines_dollar-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:80Discussion:d4170e4e-80ec-40f5-8c4c-cfc3c6870683Post:379f279c-650f-49c8-81f8-68dbe38d49d2">Re: $$ dollar dance $$??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have always thought the dollar dance is an awesome way to have "your time" with the bride and groom.  Maybe you can do it different than collecting money to dance?
    Posted by Mcsweets[/QUOTE]

This!! We are doing one!!
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • edited December 2011
    We did the dollar dance, but yes, I see it as a way to spend more time with your guests and have a little chat. Although not everybody comes to dance with you! Maybe if you like the idea of seeing everybody and talking for a minute, then just call it something else. Maybe your guests can write a message to you on a card and then they bring that to dance with you. Or have your photographer take pictures during that time so you can say 'it's your chance to get your picture taken with the bride or groom-come dance!'
    This is all just an idea if you still want to have the 'dance' part.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards