Iowa-Des Moines

cake prices

I do not live near Des Moines (Sioux City actually) but I was curious about cake pricing. One of the names I was given for cakes charges $1/slice. Is that pretty standard or is that on the verge of pricy?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions! :)

Re: cake prices

• EJPintEJPint member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    $1 a slice????  That's a BARGAIN!  Expect to find closer to $2/slice on up to $5 or $6 for fancier designs or higher end bakeries.
    Natural m/c 8/31/12 at 11 wks BFP #2 - Due August 16!
  • Miss_SophiaMiss_Sophia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well that's good to know! I have no idea on cake prices, totally a newbie so it's good to know that $1/slice is good.
  • edited December 2011
    I am paying $2.50 per sliice so I am all for $1 per slice!
  • edited December 2011
    My older sis had a two-tierd cake on the bridal table and a cake on every table of the reception.  She said their total was about half of what my FI and I are looking at for our wedding. Our cake lady is charging $3 - $3.50/piece, depending on how fancy the cake flavor is.  However, she said she was willing to bargain with us because she wants it to be affordable for us.  The lady that made the cakes for my sis does fancy, frilly stuff that I don't like; our cake lady does really neat stuff with fondant and frosting (stuff I wish I could do).  I am also making cookies, which cuts back on how much cake we order.
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, I will more than likely be paying around $4 a slice. If you can get a cake for $1 a slice oreder that cake now!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    $1 per slice is definitely a good deal!
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, $1/slice is a great deal!  We were just quoted $3.50/slice for the tiered cake and $1.50/slice for the sheet cake. For about 200 guests, she calculated $537, if I remember right.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • krysh2302krysh2302 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got our cake for about $1.87/piece, which I thought was a great bargain!! You can't beat $1/piece!!!
  • BKane2BBKane2B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    WHOA! THat's a heck of a deal!!!!!

My sister-in-law is doing our wedding cake, but she's still charging us $2/slice = where's the "family discount"!? LOL

I'd go for it...only I'd ask to see previous clients' work, just to make sure they're what you're looking for in a baker. ;)

Good luck & congrats on the upcoming wedding!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards