January 2013 Weddings

Just need to rant...

So this really has nothing to do with my wedding, but here goes anyway...

My fiance and I are in the process of buying a house while we're planning our January 4th wedding.  We found a house we love, got prequalified for a mortgage, put in an offer on the house, and it was accepted by the seller.  The house is a short-sale, so the process takes a little longer than "normal" house buying.  So we were in attorney review for almost a month and a half, sorting out some details with the seller.  Since it took so long, our mortgage company had to rerun ALL of our information.

I got a phone call this morning from the mortgage company telling me that my fiance and I were no longer pre-approved because his credit score dropped 80 points.  I asked her what that was from, since nothing has changed with his finances/bill payments.  She looked and told me it was a late credit card payment.  When she said that, I was REALLY confused, because my fiance doesn't have a credit card, only his debit card.  Regardless, she gave me the company and account number to research it.

I called my fiance at work about it and he said he didn't have a credit card (like I already knew) but that his mom and stepdad have a credit card with that company.  He called them, and it turns out, they listed him as an "approved card user".  Turns out, they paid their July bill late, and for whatever reason, that nails his credit score too??

UGHHHH!  If we don't get our mortgage and house because of this, I'm going to flip!!  Sorry for the rant, I've just been so upset since she called this morning. :(

Re: Just need to rant...

• No bueno! :(

That sucks! I hope everything works out for you.
  • Why why why would his parents do that to him?!  I would be soooo pissed!  My brother had a credit card with my aunt and she's terrible with money, similar thing happened with him with her affecting his credit.
  • Thanks guys!  I really don't think they did it intentionally, the card is theirs, but they listed him as an authorized cardholder on the account.  They didn't realize that linked his credit to the account.  They recently opened a business and I know they're still trying to make it work, and they were late on a payment.  Unfortunately, we got burned in the process.  :(
  • I would try to dispute it, have your FI tell the credit card company he did not agree to be an authorized user.  And how could they not know -- usually his name would be pritned on the card!
  • Oh, no!  Good luck!  I hope this works out relatively easily. 

346 Invited imageimage 206 Are ready to party!! image 115 Are missing out image 28 Are making me wait Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • He should also call the credit bureau's and file a discrepancy with them. That's where it will be fixed and have notes included on his credit report he can use to show the mortgage company that it's a disputed issue. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards