Ohio-Columbus

Annie's Southern Catering - DO NOT USE THIS CATERER!

STAY AWAY from this business for your wedding or ANY event! Cindy of Annie's Southern Catering and her son Brandon have been operating businesses in multiple states (they've been in Ohio at least since 2005) and have been ruining weddings one weekend at a time ever since! Her real name is Syndrea Shy. Google her and you'll see why you need to stay away! She's even been sued by the Ohio attorney General in 2008 and was ordered to stop running businesses because of violations to consumer protection laws, but keeps opening them up under different names and LLCs so it's not traceable. It looks like she's now changed her last name to Martin recently. They've also currently got three claims filed with the Ohio Better Business Bureau and there are even more on file from her past business names. 10TV did an investigation on them in 2008 and captured some of the wedding horror stories there, too. Because they keep changing their name, you can't trace all the bad reviews. Unfortunately, we were taken advantage of, but are hopeful we can prevent other couples from getting into the same situation.

As far as her wedding planning services, those are just a sales gimmick! We paid for the platinum package and did not receive one ounce of wedding planning and had to hire our own coordinator for the day because Cindy was so unresponsive to our emails and calls. They also showed up to our tasting over an hour late and the food was laughable. The salad had hunks of cucumber (literally over an inch and a half think slices), whole baby carrots and whole tomatoes thrown on a bed of bagged lettuce. The pork was so burnt you couldn't even eat it. The food is terrible, the service is even worse and there are no guarantees with this place. Brides have sued them in court, won and years later still haven't recovered their money because she keeps changing her name, address and business name! These people are unbelievable! 

I know her prices are the best in town, but there is a reason for that, so please don't make the same mistake that we did! There are reports all over the internet of her not showing up at all, breaking beer bottles, bringing in buckets of KFC chicken and much worse...seriously, Google her! There was one couple that said she and her son followed them to the grocery store parking lot and shook them down for money because they didn't give a big enough tip after their reception! She'll tell you she's never had anyone cancel an event with her, but there's tons of evidence out there stating otherwise. When she found out I was considering cancelling because of the lack of communication and constant inconsistencies, she accused me of being a racist and said I was cancelling with her because they were African Americans - if I was that kind of person, I would have never even signed a contract with them! She'll also try to scare you out of lawyering up, tell you her attorney is involved, but won't give you his/her name. I'll tell you that I'm one bride that cancelled and couldn't be happier with my decision - please don't get yourself into the same mess we did!

Re: Annie's Southern Catering - DO NOT USE THIS CATERER!

• wow i'm so sorry. you didn't lose too much money did you? 

i'm pretty glad my venue comes with catering now..
  • http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2008/03/19/caterer.html
    THis is a link to a news story about it a few years back... so sad
  • I Googled her name and wow - she runs businesses with a LOT of different names and there seem to be complaints/law suits related to all of them.

• Oh my goodness --- thank you for posting this.  We considered using Annie's (very briefly), but I had a gut feeling about it that just wan't good and we went with someone else instead.  So glad we dodged that bullet!  When I posted a few months ago asking if anyone knew anything about her, no one knew much.  I'm sure future Knotties will appreciate this!
  • We lost over $1,200 to her - just sad that people scam couples out of money on such an important time in their lives. Thankfully we were able to find another caterer and our wedding was great - so glad we went with someone else at the last minute!
  • I was a maid of honor in my friends 2005 wedding and no one could get ahold of this company to find out when the food was to arrive! My friend almost had a panic attack because she thought she wasn't going to have any food to feed her guests. Finally after the 40th (literally) phone call we got an answer and we were told that they had the time mixed up. When they arrived, probably 5 minutes before the guests were to arrive to eat, they realized they 'forgot' some of the food, and were completely rude about it. Horrible company and I can't believe that they are trying to do business under other names. Stay away!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards