Ohio-Columbus
Options

Groupon as bridesmaid gift?

I'm trying to think of creative gift ideas for each of my bridesmaids.  Would it be tacky to buy a Groupon for something like a mani/pedi, restaurant they like, etc. and combine it with a small gift like a purse?  It would let me stretch my dollar further and get them something they might actually use.  I just don't know if it would be poor etiquette to pull out a piece of paper with the deal on it, although Groupon lets you buy them as gifts, so maybe they don't put the price on?  Thoughts?

Re: Groupon as bridesmaid gift?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have no idea, but I had seriously thought about this myself.  Stupid new technology and evolving ediquette with no good answer yet!

The piece of paper is the only thing that sounds silly (I feel like with anything wedding related you always want it to be super cute, even though it doesn't really matter :P  )

I think something spa or salon related would be best... usually the restaurant one's aren't that much. 

I would be excited to recieve a giftcard to a spa, and I guess I'd want to give you a high five for finding it at a discount!  Maybe if you can think of a way to get creative with the "presentation" it will take away the stigma of handing someone a "coupon" (even though it really is 'gift card').

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know what the actual etiquette is, but I would LOVE to get something like that instead of some of the other gifts BMs sometimes get.  I wouldn't mind, but I don't know how other people would feel about it.  Maybe think about your particular BMs and not about etiquette, do you think they would mind?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 323 Made the List!
    image 114 Are ready to Dance!
    image 12 Can't make it!
    image 197 Forgot how to use Snail Mail!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the feedback. I agree, it's a way to give them something cool without me going broke.  I think I'll combine it with someting tangible like a purse and put it in a pretty card or in a wallet, along with some money for the tip if it's for a mani-pedi (usuallly those gift certificates don't come with tip included).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    if you love the groupon offer and don't want to give them a printed out copy of a gift certificate, you could do something funny like framing it or you could go to the actual establishment and ask for a physical gift card?

• Options
    JMS842JMS842 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They don't have to know...... Maybe work out payment prior to making mani/pedi appointments? Just a thought! :)
  • Options
    jenz5729jenz5729 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As someone who's personally addicted to groupon, I think its a very cute idea!
    Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I do love groupon! It sounds like a good idea as long as you make sure to give the Groupon for the city they live in. I have out of towm BM's so I'm not sure it would work for me. But if I see a good deal on getting hair done I may buy them as "gifts" and then use them to pay for us to get our hair done
  • Options
    sisterlizzysisterlizzy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've thought about this as well, but the one thing that is holding me back is that they expire....I am all about giving gift cards and I don't see any problem with them, but something that expires I don't like as much...haven't ruled it out yet.
  • Options
    maryann112maryann112 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2014

Obviously, this reply is late, but in the case that anyone is still checking out thus thread....

I called the spas (there were 3 since I wanted to get my girls a massage to a place that was close to them) and explained that I couldn't afford the regular price of a massage since I was buying 6 as gifts.  Each salon offered to give me a gift card for the Groupon price.  Definitely worth asking!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards