Ohio-Columbus

Cake Budget?

Hi fellow knotties!  So, I need some help.  The next big task on my checklist is the wedding cake.  When it comes to the cake, however,  I am CLUELESS!.  What is a good budget to keep in mind?  Would anyone be willing to share with me how much/where/how many servings their wedding cake was?

I don't want anything extravagant, decoration wise..  Maybe 3-4 layers, with black ribbon around the bottom of each layer.  I am getting a few flowers from my florist to be placed throughout the cake, but that is really it.

Thanks!!

UPDATE:  I guess I should also say, we are expecting 180-200 people.  How much cake should I get? I know not everyone will eat it (I usually don't at weddings), but then I know some people will want extra.  I am also fine with having sheet cake if it helps with cost.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Cake Budget?

• edited December 2011
    We're using Anita Kline.  Our total estimate is $380 for 167 slices.  This includes a 4-tiered main cake, some supplemental "sheet" cake, and delivery/set-up.  I say "sheet" cake because it really doesn't have to be one massive sheet, she'll use other size pans if you want different flavors/quantities.

Her quote was one of the lowest that I got; other bakers were in the $3.50-$4 per slice range.  Her cakes were the best that we tried, too!  Let me know if you want her contact information.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    We are going with Enticing Icings and Custom Cakes. Cindy is the owner/chef. Her prices range from $2.95 to $3.95 or $4.00 depending on what you get. Her cakes and fillings are amazing and she is extremely talented! There is a $50 deposit- comes out of your total, and a $25 delivery fee.
    Total we are spending $211 for everything for 80 slices. She has a ton of cake stands that she charges $100 for but upon return, she hands the money back to you. She does a complimentary 1 year anniversary cake, too- free of  charge. You can order 6 inch cakes for $10 or $20 to figure out flavors. I can't remember how much. But, she books quickly!
    She never freezes her cakes. She uses all or mostly organic fruits for her fillings. Nothing is artificial. She grows her own things for her fillings and they are incredible.
    I am a pastry chef, so I have high expectations. She blew me out of the water!

She is doing a custom design based off of my wedding dress. :)
    She is brilliant. I cannot say enough good things about her.
    HTH!
    GL!

ETA:
    You should probably get 250 pieces. Some will want 2nds, some won't eat any. Plus, extra's for you and hubby is always good.
    With Enticing Icings and her AMAZING buttercream that will cost about $737.50.
    If you refer other brides to her though, she takes a chunk off your cost off. :) That's what I have been doing.
    PM me for her info.
  • edited December 2011
    We went with The Goodie Shoppe in Upper Arlington. They were the first place we tried and we loved it. I showed her a photo and she was intrigued and it willing to do it for $3.75 a slice! VERY yummy, too! It was a $50 deposit and that comes off the total cost at the end. When we met with her, she had a small cake just for us to try with the different fillings that we picked. We also liked the location because it's right down the street from our reception (less chance of the cake getting destroyed!) She told us that she highly recommends that we just do a 3 tier (square) and supplement with sheet cakes in the kitchen. Nobody will know the difference. Good luck in your search! Cake tastings are awesome... I wish we would've done more, but I like to just get things checked off my list :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We are using Golden Delight Bakery in Gahanna...their signature "Strawberry Delight" 

We are having three tiers I think and then a big ol' sheet cake for the rest.  I expect 150 guests, and I think we did enough cake for 180 pieces.  You never know who is serving your cake and how big or small they will cut the pieces.  Also, we will get a free anniversary cake on our anniversary.  Total cost with column rentals and cake stand and delivery and tax is ~$480 I do believe (with cake stand deposit), I think it's $2.25 a piece.  They have simpler flavors that cost less if you are more of a plain vanilla or chocolate kind of girl.   I am providing ribbon for her to put on and having a few flowers scattered about from the florist, as well as a caketopper.
  • edited December 2011
    We had a 3 tier square cake with buttercream icing for about 130 people and it cost $350. We also used fresh flowers through our florist. I refused to pay $600-700 for a wedding cake which is one of th estimates that I received after a consultation.
  • edited December 2011
    We have not gone cake tasting or anything but as I have been looking I have some ideas for you.... We are having 200+ guest and with that being said you are looking at around 600 dollars for CAKE and my cheap but would rather get a few boxes of funfetti cake off the shelves than pay that much. lol

At a bridal show recently there was a lot of cake people and there was a 3 layer hexagon cake that was a fairly decent size that served 80 people. So my FI and I were thinking of having a 3-4 tier cake made for 100 and then have sheet cakes in the back.

Thinking that would save you a bunch right there because sheet cakes are typically like 1-2 a serving and tiered cakes are like 2.5-5 for serving. 

We were looking around and asking around, Short North Piece of Cake, seems to be fairly cheap and I love their cakes, Anita Kline and other places, Ask around co-workers, family and friends someone might have a gem that is not well known. 

Don't get caught up in too much decoration the simple ribbon and flowers on top won't cost you too much if anything, so that is good way to save. 

Good luck
  • AshLWAshLW member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-columbus_cake-budget?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:112Discussion:43cc2b24-37b0-4e24-880e-c0d210acb7cbPost:acc28201-a850-4434-a6ff-225e5e2c4989">Re: Cake Budget?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have not gone cake tasting or anything but as I have been looking I have some ideas for you.... We are having 200+ guest and with that being said you are looking at around 600 dollars for CAKE and my cheap but <strong>would rather get a few boxes of funfetti cake off the shelves than pay that much</strong>. lol At a bridal show recently there was a lot of cake people and there was a 3 layer hexagon cake that was a fairly decent size that served 80 people. So my FI and I were thinking of having a 3-4 tier cake made for 100 and then have sheet cakes in the back. Thinking that would save you a bunch right there because sheet cakes are typically like 1-2 a serving and tiered cakes are like 2.5-5 for serving.  We were looking around and asking around, Short North Piece of Cake, seems to be fairly cheap and I love their cakes, Anita Kline and other places, Ask around co-workers, family and friends someone might have a gem that is not well known.  Don't get caught up in too much decoration the simple ribbon and flowers on top won't cost you too much if anything, so that is good way to save.  Good luck
    Posted by tiffanydaniels[/QUOTE]

This is too funny - FI and I were joking and said that we wondered if it was possible to have a funfetti cake. LOL!! That is a good idea, just have a "main" cake to serve a few, and then the sheet cakes to serve the majority of guests.  Good thinking. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • spainstaceyspainstacey member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am also using Enticing Icings and I"m using just a basic butter cream for 180 ppl, I think My cake was in the 500 dollar range

SHE IS AMAZING truly can't say enough about her and the sample cakes are $10( I know i have had MANY :))
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • csh96csh96 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I saw prices ranging from 2.50-4.50 and above per slice when I was searching.
    image &nbsp ? image
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We're doing cupcakes, and from what I've found, they tend to be cheaper than cake!  For about 180 it's about $650 or less (depending on who you go with)!
    image 0 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

I had two tastings that were at both ends of the spectrum and went with the more expensive version because of the quality of the product.  We're going to end up with 140 servings for about $600.  I didn't originally want to spend this much, but the difference was night and day and well worth every penny.

Prepare to spend anywhere from $3.50 - $6 per slice depending on baker, detail of work, etc.  Don't forget about stand rental and delivery fees as well as those can really sneak up on you.

Most importantly - get the cake you'd get seconds of.  Getting a mediocre cake just to have cake is a waste of calories and cash, IMO.  Spend a few more dollars if you can and get something you LOVE.

• edited December 2011
    We are using Crystal's Cakes Creatively.  The cakes that she let us try were sooo amazing.  Her designs are simple and elegant.  She is super nice as well.  We set our cake budget at 500 and we are getting everything for about 430.  It is so worth it.  Her cake is delicious, and I dont even like cake!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards