Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Recessional Song for a Catholic Ceremony

We are having problems picking our wedding recessional song.  I'm not thrilled with anything that has been suggested (most are too typical, I want something unique).  Any suggestions?TIA!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Recessional Song for a Catholic Ceremony

• periippaperiippa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Usually songs in a Catholic ceremony aren't incredibly unique, because they have to fit within certain guidelines. So a lot of them have been used before!Our chapel gave us a CD of sample songs we could choose for our entire ceremony. Some of the Processional/Recessional options are:Trumpet VoluntaryHornpipe (Allegro Maestoso)Prelude to a Te DeumRondeauRigaudonJesu, Joy of Man's DesiringTHAXTEDCanon in DTrumpet VoluntaryTrumpet TuneOde to JoySaint Anthony ChoraleObviously some are slower and might be more appropriate for a Processional, where others sound more like Recessional music.Each sample is about 1+ minute long. I can e-mail you the mp3 files if you'd like to listen to any of them!
  • LMK613LMK613 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    we are using Fanfare & March by Purcell...its hard to pick catholic music b/c you're right, a lot of it is typical. this is a little different...b/c it's a fanfare - so it has nice trumpet at the begining....but can't be too unique :) HTH
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Bimbi284Bimbi284 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes! FI and I picked a really great recessional piece. I can't think of it off the top of my head now, but I'll check when I get home and post it here. We are in the same boat of having a Catholic ceremony and not wanting the traditional stuff. FI is a classical pianist, so he and I didn't want the same music he plays fore weddings in our own (so no Canon in D, Trumpet Voluntary, Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring, etc). Its proven to be difficult, due to what PP said. We are still looking for a processional piece we like.
  • periippaperiippa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Along the same lines, we're having a tough time choosing a responsorial Psalm! Our sample CD only had four options, and I didn't "connect" with any of them :-\  I'm trying to think back to which ones were my favs when I was younger, but NOTHING is coming to mind :(
  • Maria92609Maria92609 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're having a full Catholic Mass and are using this for our recessional: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by8oyJztzwoAnd I'm not kidding, our priest and liturgist loved it!  We are obviously not doing it for the full length of the song (it does get to be a little too much at that point), but we loved the unexpected twist on a wedding standby.  There is another more traditional, yet unique song that we are using after the wedding party has recessed that is a variation on Ode to Joy... I actually have an e-mail out to my accompanist to get the name for our program, so if I hear back on that today, I'll post that one, too.
  • edited December 2011
    THANKS! Warning: LONGYah, nothing is really striking me.  (Though I like Thaxted Periippa).  We might just have to go with something typical.  I Just found Prelude and Fugue #5 by Bach (WTC book 2) and I like it though.  Perhaps it's allowed...Bimbi: We are using Bach's Prelude and Fuge from the Well-Tempered Clavlier Book 1 No. 1 for our processional.   Have you thought of that one?  It's different but still very classic (we are using it for the grandmothers).Periippa- The Psalm was so hard for us too!  Our thoughts (maybe this might help...or these might be different versions than the ones you were given): -Path of Life (Psalm 16) I can't find the version I like but can hear it in my head, I need to talk to our director again and see if I can sing it for him.-The Lord is Kind and Merciful (Psalm 103).  I like it because of the two vocal parts and it's so pretty.-Blest are Those Who Love You (128)-This is the one I always hear at weddings.  The second verse has pretty lyrics "Your spouse shall be like a fruitful vine in the midst of your home. Your childrens flourish like olive plants rejioicing at your table".
  • edited December 2011
    A knottie on the Catholic Board just suggested the overture to the Marriage of Figaro for a recessional.  Love it!
  • LittleSweetieLittleSweetie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used "The Rejoicing" by Handel (I think??), but the title was in French, which I won't attempt to spell.
    Our big girl, Cora, and our sneaky kitty, Roxy

Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • Bimbi284Bimbi284 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Okay,  We are going with the Toccata by Widor for processional. Another good one we considered was Psalm 19 by Marcello.We are doing The Lord is Kind and Merciful...its purty :)I like the Prelude from WTC, but FI doesn't really like it for the wedding...if we can't come up with something better though, I may be able to convince him, lol.Another one we decided on was for the unity candle (I think that's what we're using it for, lol), Hymno del Amor (Hymn of Love), Edith Piaf made it pretty famous...and I find it beautiful. I can't wait for our singer to perform it that day!
  • edited December 2011
    We did The River is Here by Andy Park. We had it as an instrumental though with a pianist and a violinst.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards