Ohio-Columbus
Options

Working out

Just thought I'd share my excitement--i'm trying a new group class at my gym tonight. It's Hip Hop dance. I'm pumped! I'm really getting into the groove of working out now. I've lost 7 lbs so far in my journey to first become healthier and then second to look my best on my wedding day.

What's everyone else doing? What's working for you? Or, is working out/getting in shape for your wedding not on your "to do" list? 

I've beent trying to lose weight since before I event got engaged, but this sparkly ring on my left finger is really helping with motivation! : )

Re: Working out

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Sounds good! Are you working toward a goal or just to overall be healthy?

Hip Hop dance is fun! Where are you taking it at? Zumba is also a fun calorie burner. You burn so much while having fun. On the days I don't do dance class I'll tough it out on the boring treadmill or elliptical. FI is trying to loose weight too so sometimes we do our own "bootcamp" with jump roping, bear crawls, duck walk, up downs, push ups, ab work, that sort of thing. 
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ha Ha, nothing has worked for me! Tonight is my first bridal bootcamp class. I am excited but nervous! I hope this will kick my butt into gear and start working. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on your progress!!
     I have greatly changed my diet, eating mostly fish, chicken and lots of fruits and veggies. That is working some, but I really enjoy my zumba class! Upbeat music, lots of moving and hip shakin! I look foward to it two times a week. I'm also walking twice a week, and I have my co-workers motivating me! We are all doing a biggest loser type challenge, and if you gain at the weekly weigh in, you have to pay a dollar! I hate paying, so I am really motivated!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So update!!! 

I just did my first bridal bootcamp class and it was INTENSE!!! So if you want a intense workout try that, it is twice a week for 4 weeks! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    These were fun replies to read. I always like to hear what is working for others when it comes to health. I am trying to reach a goal which in turn will help me to be healthier. I'd like to be healthy for when FI and I decide to start a family.

Update on the hip hop class: Unfortunately I wasn't really a fan! I was a little disappointed. But it was the first time this instructor was teaching us and she forgot her iPod so she had to borrow someone else's. I felt like we spent a lot of time stretching and then a lot of time with her looking for good songs to play. Maybe next time will be better when she can control the songs.

I did do Zumba on Monday night and it was fab! I felt great after that and look forward to that class again! It's really fun and I like it because you're less interested in doing the move exactly right and more about just moving as much as you can.
  • Options
    Karadee1Karadee1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am a CrossFit girl. My brother is a certified trainer, so my family (including my fiance) and I work out in his gym/garage. I love CrossFit, it is super intense and super challenging, but it's worth it! I've been training consistently for the past few months and my body is completely transforming, I've lost 5 lbs and can tell I'm building muscle as well. There's a local CrossFit gym in Columbus, near campus, called Rogue Fitness, I know they have classes as well.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Interesting! i've heard of Crossfit, but what is it exactly?
  • Options
    Karadee1Karadee1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    CrossFit can best be described as being a strength and conditioning program that utilizes some free weights, but minimal equipment. The exercises vary from day to day, and is good for building overall fitness and strength. Check out www.crossfit.com, they have a Workout of the Day (WOD) posted each day. We usually do a 1-mile run for a warm up and some sort of skill exercise. Though you could do it on your own, it's nice to have someone around who can tell you if your form looks good.

The absolute best thing is that every exercise is scalable - for example, I couldn't do normal pushups when I started so I did them on my knees, and they give a recommended weight to lift for men and women for each lifting exercise, but I'm still usually below it. the FAQ section on the CrossFit website has a long list of good subs for the difficult exercises.

My favorite WOD is called Cindy, which is:
    5 pull ups (I still can't do normal pullups so I jump part of the way up)
    10 pushups
    15 air squats
    As many rounds as possible in 20 minutes

It's a little different...but I love it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards