July 2012 Weddings

WWYD?

The wedding "coordinator" at my church called yesterday to tell me that they are having a program called Christmas in July. The stage will be covered in X-mas decorations and her solution for me is to put up a large black curtain to separate the decorations from my guests.

My question is why wasn't I told about this when I first booked my wedding? I have no choice my wedding is 8 days away but if I would have known a little sooner I could have made more arrangements with my florist to make sure I decorated accordingly. Now I feel like this big black curtain will over shadow my minimal flower arrangement. SMH!
Wedding date July 7, 2012

Re: WWYD?

• Hmm I would ask to get more details from your church about the decorations.  Is there anyway they can remove the itmes and then put them back? Probably a pain in the butt for them but maybe the best solution.  I would also ask your florist what else you can do at this point as well.

Anniversary
  • Whoa, I'd be super pissed about this. You definitely should've been told more than 9 days before your wedding so you could've planned accordingly. Could you use a prettier colored sheet or something besides black? Maybe something with your wedding colors in it?
    Photobucket
  • ooh that stinks :-/

I'm having trouble visualizing the space. My church doesn't have a stage... do you have a pic of it that you could post?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Is it possible to rent or buy some kind of arch or something like that which will draw attention to you guys? Perhaps some columns to put the flowers on?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I would NOT like this at all. Is there any way for them to hold it off until after your wedding?
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_wwyd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:f99de7de-2c89-4019-9c26-d0b26278fcbdPost:9761c5bb-678b-445c-bea1-91a733ba3ee9">Re: WWYD?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Whoa, I'd be super pissed about this. You definitely should've been told more than 9 days before your wedding so you could've planned accordingly. Could you use a<strong> prettier colored sheet</strong> or something besides black? Maybe something with your wedding colors in it?
    Posted by ceglare4[/QUOTE]

Ooo this!!!  I love this idea.  Or someone said about an arch, that'd be cool.  They have some cheap ones at like JoAnn's and Michels and such.

Kind of shiitty of them to tell you so close to your wedding day though.  Personally, I'd be a bridezilla and say they have to remove everything. There should be time between your ceremony and any masses going on for them to put everything back.  But go with the suggestions to keep the peace I think!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  •  I would also ask if the items could be removed for your wedding and then put back.  If they still say they'll be there, there are lots of other options beside just a black cloth that you could try - depending on time to make it and budget of course.

Let's see if this link works:  http://pinterest.com/search/?q=wedding+backdrops

My personal favorite is the tulle with lights behind it.  You'd still be able to see through it, but at least it would mask it some.
  • Nati05Nati05 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    I'd be furious! I agree with PPs, first ask if they can take it down. It's not your problem they never mentioned it so that you could plan accordingly! It's now their problem to take care of it. But if they won't budge, cover it by draping fabric in one of your colors. So sorry this is happening!!!
  • edited June 2012
    Thanks everyone!

The stage is massive, sorry I don't have a picture, and the decorations are going to be huge. They are putting them up now and will take them down at the end of July. The curtain is 8 feet tall and the top of the x-mas tree might show a little. The "coordinator" is VERY unprofessional and I know they don't view the church as a business but when I gave them my money she should have.

My only solution is to ask for some of my money back. This is ridiculous, I'm 99% sure I will have to buy more decorations to make the stage look wedding ready. This sucks!!

Any google wizards out there can help me find pictures of weddings in front of a curtain? Maybe in a theater hall?

Edit: spelling - I'm so pissed I can't type straight.
  • Nati05Nati05 member
    edited June 2012
    Ok so I'm no google wizard but I thought I'd try. I googled wedding stages and for some reason all the results came up as Indian weddings, not too sure why, but they look cool! I know it's not the same concept, but maybe you can get some ideas from the backdrops and add your altar plans to it...?

click
  • THANKS Nati05!!

These are a good place to start. The only color curtain they have is black so I might be able to use up lights in my wedding colors. My florist's contract says she needs 20 days in advance to make changes. Anything I do has to be DIY.

All i know is that the church need to reimburse some of the money I paid. If they can't remove the decorations than I feel like I have been double booked.
  • Nati05Nati05 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_wwyd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:f99de7de-2c89-4019-9c26-d0b26278fcbdPost:e406def3-a2b8-474e-ad45-bdb50af924af">Re: WWYD?</a>:
    [QUOTE]THANKS Nati05!! These are a good place to start. The only color curtain they have is black so I might be able to use up lights in my wedding colors. My florist's contract says she needs 20 days in advance to make changes. Anything I do has to be DIY.<strong> All i know is that the church need to reimburse some of the money I paid. If they can't remove the decorations than I feel like I have been double booked.
    </strong>Posted by Carla1019[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with you. I mean really you need that reimbursement to cover your extra unplanned decor costs! Good luck!!!
  • edited June 2012
    I would demand a partial rembursement since now you have to adjust the decor and fix it....if you have a Party One they rent the pillars for like 20 bucks a day, get a cpl of them and go to hobby lobby buy flowers in your colors and find some pretty vases and use that with some ribbon, i know its alot of work but i would be livid if i was double booked, they could have informed you of this or declined you due to this going on.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards