Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Down to 2 venue options... Help!

After 3 exhausting days of driving all over the metro area we have whittled our possible venue list from 12 to 2! We are trying to decide between two very different options right now. 

1) Hilton Garden Inn in Saint Paul

2) Rush Creek Golf Course in Maple Grove

I am so torn! I love both for completely different reasons. Does anyone have any experience with either of these venues?

Thank you! :)

Re: Down to 2 venue options... Help!

• edited December 2011
    I'm from Saint Paul and am kind of biased - love the downtown area and we are booking some of the rooms there for our wedding - the service has been exceptional.  But I'm sure they are both nice.  Do you have a gut feeling of which you prefer?
  • edited December 2011
    It's so tough! I feel like Rush Creek has more of the feel we are looking for (rustic winter weddng) but I love the idea of the photo ops in downtown Saint Paul in January. Plus, having it in a hotel is nice for guests... 

This is all a lot harder than I had imagined!!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm sure there are lots of hotels in Maple Grove that are close to your venue.  I've been a guest at many weddings and never have an issue if I have to book the hotel down the street from the reception hall. 

You could always go to downtown St. Paul after the ceremony for pictures and then go back to your venue?  If you like the feel of Rush Creek more for the venue you want - I might see if there are ways to get the photo ops you want, too.
  • TCbride1TCbride1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never been to Hilton Garden Inn in SP, but I've been to a few receptions at Rush Creek and they were all really beautiful! They have the nice patio right outside the dance floor that would make great photo ops with Christmas lights set up and the fire pits for S'mores.

BUT Saint Paul really does have that magical winter wedding look to it. If you love the venue (not just the SP photo ops), then go for it!
    Where is your ceremony? That might help you make your decision (since Maple Grove and Saint Paul are on opposite sides of the Twin Cities)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • bwanhalabwanhala member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am TOTALLY going to be bias and say Rush Creek. My fiance and I are getting married at Elm Creek Chalet in Maple Grove. Ours is in the fall, but I think that had we decided on a winter wedding it would still be there :)

Have you taken your engagement pics yet? Maybe do those in St.Paul in the winter so you can get that photo op you're looking for :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • schmoodschmood member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What time in January is your wedding?  You may want to avoid DT St. Paul if it is during Winter Carnival time - which is usually the last week of January into the first week of February.  It might make parking and hotel room blocks a little difficult.... but might be fun if the wedding party could get in on some of the action ;)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • FutureMrsS13FutureMrsS13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just wanted to say i love rush creek! sorry! this is prolly not helping! :)
  • edited December 2011
    I went to an event in Rush Creek's event room this past winter, and it was so beautiful!! The entire facility is great, and there's plenty of parking. I also know a lot of th staff at Rush Creek and I must say that the coordinators, Lisa and Kendra, are great gals to work with!
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you all so much for your thoughts. :) 

TCBride1: We are having the ceremony and reception at the same place... Don't want to make our guests drive more than they have to. 

bwanhala: Love that idea - thanks!

schmood: The date we like the best (numerically cause I am weird) is January 12. So we would be clear of most of the Winter Carnival stuff. 

Luckily I do hair so I had all today while putting in foils to think about it. haha. And FI is in the process of making a spreadsheet to compare the two. (he is so cute) I think I am leaning towards Rush Creek.... So excited!
  • tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If it were me, I'd go with the Hilton. It's so convenient to have the ceremony and reception right at a hotel where everyone can stay. Especially if you'll have a lot of OOT guests -- many of ours thanked us for that, not having to drive into town for the wedding then all over for the ceremony and reception. I also love that as a guest at a winter wedding -- I can wear a cute little dress without worrying if I'll freeze or if my big winter coat will look silly over it.
  • edited December 2011
    2nd the Hilton, They have this beautiful, huge window in their banquet room, that looks out into downtown.
  • edited December 2011
    Rush Creek!  I fell in love with Rush Creek but it was a tiny bit out of our price range so we chose Edinburgh instead.  Rush Creek is beautiful and is close enough to all the shops and hotels in Maple Grove so your OOT guests will have things to do and nice places to stay.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    Rush Creek is a much more unique, interesting and beautiful venue than a standard hotel ballroom. However, if you have a lot of OOT guests, as PP said, the Hilton may be more convenient.

We're also having a winter wedding in DT St. Paul and looking forward to all the great photo ops!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards