Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Personal Trainer?

Hi brides,

Have any of you used a personal trainer before? If so, was it worth the money? Did you enjoy the experience? I've been a member at the Y for about a year and really enjoy the time I've spent there but it wasn't until recently that I actually got serious about changing my lifestyle and regularly working out and eating healthier. I did my free fitness consultation, and the trainer wants me to sign up for 10 weeks of sessions this summer. I've been thinking about it in the past anyway, and my workplace will pay up to $250 of the cost through our insurance. I'm just worried that I will hate it or spend all of this money and have it not even be worth it. 

Thoughts? Personal experience?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Personal Trainer?

• If you don't have a strong foundation in fitness and weight lifting it  can be really worth it, but it is important to pick someone who has all the certifications and can put together good, results driven programs.

They can't make you fit, they can help but it is up to you to make the dietary and workout changes. And diet really does play a huge part in it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    If you've been doing some kind of exercise regularly, I think they can be a great idea. They can keep you motivated, give you some accountability, and help you maximize your workouts. Especially if you've been considering it and your insurance reimburses you some, I say go for it.

Just be honest with the trainer about what you can and can't handle, if you're feeling overworked, etc. At one point when I hadn't been exercising at all, I decided that I would buy just three sessions with a trainer just to put me on the right track. I didn't feel comfortable telling the trainer that I felt like I was pushing too hard -- I didn't really know that was okay and didn't want to look like a wuss. He kicked my assss, I went home and threw up, and laid on the couch worthless for the rest of the night. Second session was almost as bad, and I never went again. Had I worked my way up to rigorous exercise, I think I would've been fine.

If you're still on the fence, maybe don't sign up for 10 sessions right away. See if you can do just a couple to see how you like it. You can always sign up for more later.
  • I don't post on here a lot, but I do lurk occassionaly.  I used a personal trainer for almost 2 years.  I started going twice a week for about 6 months.  He was able to get me down to my goal weight.  Then after that I went done to 1 a week to keep me on track and then once every other and eventually one  a month to keep honest and to help change up my workouts.  I LOVED every minute of it.  I found that when I worked out with him, I worked out harder and burned more calories.  When I worked out by myself, even following the exact plan I didn't burn as much.  
  • I would recommend using a personal trainer, especially if you are already working out and want an extra push. I have worked out with a trainer previously and my fiance owns a personal training/boot camp studio (which I won't mention so the cranky people on here don't block me!) -so I may be slightly biased ;-) ! But, I do allow someone else to push me past my mental limits, whereas I don't push myself as hard as I really can go- which one needs to do if they really want a physical change. 

Also, a good personal trainer should be able to 'read you' and see how much you can handle! Good luck getting things high & tight!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards