Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

NWR--back to school?

So I've been considering going back to school for awhile.  While I'd love to be a PA specializing in geriatric care I don't know what my odds are for getting into the program are.  MN has only one program for PA's (Augsburg) and the soonest I could start is May 2012---IF I get in, they only accept 28 applicants a year.  So I've been looking at getting my Master's in nursing and becoming a nurse educator to teach future nurses.  GAH. I hate not knowing what to do! If I go with the MSN program I could start as early as January and be about 1/2 way done by the time the wedding roles around, it's all online.  Sigh.....I need a fairy godmother to tell me what to do LOL.
Hitched! 09.30.11

Re: NWR--back to school?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Girl, if you think you can handle doing both school and wedding things at the same time, do it!!  There are a lot of great nursing programs around the twin cities, are you interested in doing an NP program at all, then specializing in geriatrics?  Mankato has a family NP program that is mostly online, you can do all of your clinicals here, and only have to drive down there once a month for class.  I have two friends that just finished the program and worked almost full time while in it, plus one has kids, and they both taught clinicals on the side for Mankato's BSN program - so I think it is very doable for you while planning a wedding!!  You are right, that PA program is ridiculously hard to get into... they get so many applications for just a few spots!  Good luck, I hope it works out the way you want it to!!!

My Planning Bio Updated 9.2.11
    My New House Bio! Updated 5.8.11
    image 356 Invited image 144 will be there! image 212 missing out image 0 holding up the show

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jenn--I thought to be an NP you have to get a PhD now yes??  We're they are the U of M in Mankato?

Also, I was thinking that I don't want to wait until NEXT fall to apply to the program and find out that I don't get in when I could practically have an MSN by then!  It's nice to hear that your friends have done it with families, I don't want to put off having kids forever just because I'm going to school.
    Hitched! 09.30.11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi Ladies-

I don't post here often, but thought I would chime in. I am currently in the PNP program (peds NP) at the U of M, set to graduate in May. The U of M no longer has a masters program, my class is the last class to graduate with a masters. You now either enroll as a PhD or DNP student. The DNP route is what you would want to do if you want to be an NP, the PhD program is research based. I am not sure what other schools are doing, but I believe most of them still have a masters program.

Life is really busy with still working part time at the bedside, school, and wedding, but honestly it's kinda nice having the wedding stuff for distraction and a break from homework.

Good luck with your decision! Happy to answer any questions.

Kristi
  • Options
    LauraK17LauraK17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just graduated PA school.  PM me if you want any details!  I went to school at Rosalind Franklin University in IL and loved it.  I am now working and absolutely love my job!!  Good luck with your decision.
    Married 9/3/2010!!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Many schools are going to the DNP program but its not required yet - you are not required to have a DNP in order to be an NP.  And if history repeats itself, you will be grandfathered in at the time you finish your degree. The U of M went to a DNP for the FNP, PNP and CRNA programs this year, but my school (MSA) isn't going to a DNP for CRNAs until 2016 - and it isn't required by state law or the professional associations at this point. Mankato is still offering a Master's program for the FNP, and they are not part of the "U of M" system - they are technically called Minnesota State University - Mankato.  They also have a nurse educator track that is a Master's as well.  I could put you in touch with my friend who just finished there if you have questions about it, since I don't know too much more than that!

My Planning Bio Updated 9.2.11
    My New House Bio! Updated 5.8.11
    image 356 Invited image 144 will be there! image 212 missing out image 0 holding up the show

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    aabrahams7aabrahams7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I currently work full time (and overtime) go to school full time, have 2 children, a house a dog AND planning a wedding....it's not easy but it keeps me level headed...if you think you can handle it GO FOR IT!! You will regret it if you dont!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards