• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Name change

I know that there have been posts about this before, but could someone help me out with the name change thing? I have my marriage certificate back from the state. Now what do I have to do?


Re: Name change

  • ogrady88ogrady88 member
    edited December 2011
    I agree, I know someone had a copy of the name change letter they sent out, but now I can't find it.
    First place to go once you have the official copy back is the social security office.
  • schmoodschmood member
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments
    edited December 2011

    You'll need to do the social security and DMV first.... it doesn't matter which first.  You'll just need your official marriage certificate for both.  Once you get both the new SS card & DL then you can start changing things elsewhere.   At the banks, they wanted my new SS card, new DL and official marriage certificate.  At work they just needed the new SS card & I had to fill out a name change form and a new W2. 

  • wittyschaffywittyschaffy member
    Knottie Warrior 1000 Comments Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Ditto PP - be warned though that if you change your passport, they require you to send the certified copy of your marriage license in with your application and old passport.  I had a minor panic attack over that!  You WILL get it back and it might not be in the same envelope you'd expect it in but don't worry, it will come back to you! 
  • nordkenordke member
    edited December 2011
    You read my mind...do you have to go to the SS office in St. Paul, or can you go to the one in Minneapolis on Chicago Ave?
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    2500 Comments 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Thank you! I wish that they'd make a way to streamline this process!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards