Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

5120 Restaurant and Onyx Bar

We are planning on getting married at this location (5120 Onyx Bar and Restaurant) in Bloomington, MN.  Looking to connect with former or soon-to-be brides who have used/will be using this location.  Also, looking to connect with vendors who have worked here before.

Thanks!

Gabriela.

Re: 5120 Restaurant and Onyx Bar

• Options
    kekr0202kekr0202 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Gabriela!

My fiance and I booked 5120 for May 5th of next year!  I instantly fell in love with the space and am SO excited.  I'm having a blast planning everything now.

It's neat to talk to someone who has booked the same space.  I'd love to hear about your visions for your big day!

Kristin
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Kristin, congratulations and so nice to meet you!  We are looking at May 26, 2012 :)  I love the space as well, just had dinner there this week and enjoyed the food!  I'm not sure yet what I want to do . . . I'm bouncing between loooong tables and round ones (mostly because I keep finding things online I like) :)

I know its early in the process, but do you have any ideas yet?
  • Options
    kekr0202kekr0202 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Gorgeous!  Love the uniqueness!  I think it would look awesome in that space!

Our ceremony will start at 7 followed by cocktails and appetizers...we're going with open bar all night.  We decided not to go with a sit down dinner as we want our event to be more of a swanky fun party!  We are very non traditional and are going with "old Hollywood glamour" as inspiration.  Not sure about color schemes or centerpieces yet but know for sure we'll be using a lot of high-top tables without chairs to add to that lounge feel.  We will then have tables on the outer walls for people to sit if desired.

I absolutely LOVE the space and the fact that there are three rooms!  I also think the bar is so beautiful.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That sounds just lovely!  I totally agree about the space.  The three rooms allows for flexibility so that people can move about and place themselves where they feel most comfortable.

I think we are going with a buffet dinner . . . ceremony, cocktail hour as well (i hope!)

Have you started looking at any vendors?  I'm curious to talk to vendors that have already worked in the space, as they will have great insight into colors, flowers, etc.
  • Options
    kekr0202kekr0202 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I bet a buffet would be delicious there.  We're planning on doing a tasting probably after the holidays to get an idea of what apps we'd like to offer.  Our date is Cinco de Mayo and we met in Spanish class in college plus our fav travel destination is Playa del Carmen, Mexico so we'd love to incorporate some Mexican flavors in.

I haven't spoken to any vendors as I'm going to try to DIY a lot of the elements.  I've been torn when it comes to accent colors as part of me wants to go with reds and dark magentas because it'd really pop in that space but my fiance just brought up a great idea to use a turquoise as it's remeniscent of Playa's gorgeous beach...I thought what a great idea!  Plus it'd look quite nice with the clean colors and lines of the space.  Ultimately I have a feeling we'll go with the turq. and probably gold & silver.  As for flowers-I could care less as long as they're not orange!  We do not want to spend a lot on flowers so I think we'll go the Costco or Minneapolis Market route to save some $$$.

Do you have your heart set on colors or anything you know you want to have? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Actually, those colors you mentioned (turq and silver) are ones I was thinking of as well.  I love black and white, and perhaps several shades of dark silver (pewter) and shades of white and turquoise would be really pretty in that space.

That is so great how you met!  I am actually from Honduras and speak fluent spanish :)  Justin and I met at law school and we are both lawyers, soooo, gavels and scales for a theme?  Not as cool as Mexico!  Cool

I was hoping to connect with some flower folks to see what they have done in that space before to get some ideas.  I've already started getting flyers and things in the mail!!!  Quite an involved process!

How many ppl are you planning on having?  Seems like the guest list is the hardest thing to do.
  • Options
    kekr0202kekr0202 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How funny!  Must be a great choice if you like turquoise in that space too!  I'm so jealous of your fluency as it is true that if you don't use it you lose it when it comes to languages.  We love travelling in Mexico because we get to practice.  Between the two of us-Jeff remembers a lot of verbs and the conjugations and I remember more vocabulary-so we get by well and receive excellent service!  :) 

Are you going to try to bring any kind of Latin flair to your buffet?  When we were discussing basic details with Jen she said the chefs are more than willing to get creative.  What are you thinking for food?  When are you going to do your tasting?

Our list is at 73 right now and there probably won't be many changes.  It was interesting to sit down and make the list bc I come from a very small family and Jeff comes from a huge family so much of our list is made up of family members.  I am totally okay with that as I am close to his family but it's just shocking to think of sometimes!  What's your list like?

What I am trying to figure out now is the route we want to take with music.  I love to dance but am not sure how many of our guests would get into dancing with a dj but I also don't think we can afford a band.  Ideally, I'd love a more lounge type band playing some jazz or more classic rock/big band tunes but I don't think it's in the budget.  What are you thinking?

It would be hilarious if you had gavel centerpieces and two cakes on a huge scale! 

By the way...we have our engagement pics tomorrow and just received an email that the gal who was scheduled to do my airbrush makeup tomorrow is in the hospital!  Obviously life happens and I am not mad about it but what am I going to do now?  Looks like I'll be getting up early on my day off to call around to every salon in the area!  Whew so much for pre-planning!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is not fun news to get, I hope your make up artist is ok!  You have the right attitude though, things will happen and you just have to go with it.

Who is your photographer?  Do you mind me asking what you are paying?

Im not sure yet about food.  That is really great to hear that they are flexible.  Justin and I both got that vibe from them.  I would like to have Honduran coffee served at the end of the meal.  I'm just going for good food.  I think the "latin flair" will mostly come in the music :)  A band would be awesome, but I think a DJ will just be easiest, less expensive and best for the kind of music we want to play.  Really varied between US music and spanish music.

We want to be at approx 80 ppl.  Right now, list is at 124.  There are definitely ppl we can cut, we are in the very beginning stages of a guest list.  My latest issue is kids.  The list has about 20-25 kids.  Albeit most are under 5 years old, but I would have to ask Jen how they factor in paying for kids.  Some places are so strict that they will charge per person, no matter the age.  Are you having lots of kids?

We had to move our date to June 6, 2012 :)  Too many babies and graduations in that first part of the year!
  • Options
    kekr0202kekr0202 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Gabriela,

So sorry I forgot to respond!  Everything turned out perfectly with our E pics.  The owner of MN Bridal Makeup Artistry asked the gal who was scheduled to do my hair to do my makeup as well as she does both and she said yes!  Plus she refunded my makeup fee!  The pics turned out amazing!

We're using Simple Impressions and we chose to go with his larger package that includes E pics & 10 hours of coverage on our wedding day, unlimited photos and editing, plus other extras for around $2600.  We decided to splurge bc the photography was so important to us!  You can see some of our pics here http://simpleimpressions.com/blog/?p=2812. And you can also click back to his website for pricing, etc.

Having Honduran coffee after the meal is such a cool touch!  I agree with you on the music thing.  We just found out that a friend of ours has all the equipment needed for playing a computer playlist and he offered to help!  I love saving money!  :)  We're thinking of going that route and if needed hiring a dj.

We're so fortunate that our friends are too young still to have kids and our relatives' kids are older.  We decided we're not inviting my fiance's cousins because there are just too many so we're just inviting aunts & uncles instead of extended family.

What's new with your planning?  Any updates?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards